It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern slavery.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

There are many statutes on the books that make picking up money, or anything else, you found illegal.

Just being a good citizen

Litter is anything from a crisp packet or cigarette butt to a bag of rubbish. All litter is unsightly and makes our local areas look untidy and uncared for. Common litter items include fast-food packaging, sweet wrappers, drinks cans, bottles and cigarette butts.

Litter does not clean itself away. It can take years to degrade, causing harm to wildlife and habitats. Food people drop – whether it is half-eaten burgers, chips or apple cores - can attract pigeons and vermin such as rats.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
Just being a good citizen

It doesn't change the fact that there are laws which make that action illegal.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 06:55 AM
link   

It doesn't change the fact that there are laws which make that action illegal.

So I can be fined for throwing a couple of receipts on the ground if caught,

does that apply to a couple of £5 notes as well? both litter.....

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I just looked, it's illegal for you in the UK to pick up money and not report it. I suggest you check your local laws.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: Ithinkifoundit

It all stems from Jim Crow era, and was almost I guess galvanized and turned into a national capitalization during the war on drugs, and it's become streamlined in today's world. Almost 25% of the world prison population is in the US. That's a shocking number. Indeed, modern day slavery, because what is just a common petty crook to a prison system when it's nothing more than a slap on the wrist, but you can slap them with a felony and they are worth 50 - 60,000 a year to a private prison.

The US also has among the worst records for sexual and violent crime, drug and gang crime, and vice, for a modern Western country.

A lot of the people in jail are actual criminals who should be in jail.

Another large proportion are people who couldn't make bail or who were denied bail because the were considered a flight risk. For example they'd previously jumped bail..

Some of this is the fault of a bad system, but some of it is due to the US having a lot a genuine criminals.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Ithinkifoundit

Meh. I think prisoners should be back on the chain gang and hammering rocks until the day they're released. They choose to enter a work release program and know ahead of time what they'll be doing and what they'll be making, and the consequences of what will happen if they break any rules. If they don't enter into the work release program, which they have to qualify for, then they can sit around all day playing on WiFi tablets and doing remote video calls. Most inmates in America have it better than lower middle class families who have to pay for all the things they want because they also have to pay for the inmates. Sure the privileged inmates work for cheap labor, but it's their own choice. I work for an inmate communications company (14 years) and we used the work release program for about 8 years. I've seen guys who had over $35,000.00 saved up - from WR - in their bank account serve their time, get released, and go right back to jail a couple months later because they blew all of their money on drugs, booze, women, and fun and ended up robbing a store or stealing from others to go get their fix, so don't feel too sorry for them. I've also seen them change their ways and straighten up. My employer, 90% of the time, employed the ones who worked for him after their release. He's even paid the first 6 months of apartment leases for them to get back on their feet if they showed initiative.
edit on 9-2-2021 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: rounda
See, there's a very simple solution to the problem: don't put yourself in a situation where you would need to interact with a cop...

The issue is there are so many laws on the books that you've likely broken several and if a cop wants to interact with you good luck dissuading them.

That's not going to happen unless you bring attention to yourself.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

There are countless videos of people being stopped for specious reasons and then having to deal with the ramifications of law enforcement behaving in a manner that they shouldn't.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   

There are countless videos of people being stopped for specious reasons and then having to deal with the ramifications of law enforcement behaving in a manner that they shouldn't.

It goes both ways. I've had my own experience with being stopped and ticketed twice in my white male life for doing nothing wrong. In one case, I was 19 and driving through the mall parking lot when I was surrounded by 6 cop cars. I was returning a steam cleaner for my mom and it was the first time I'd driven to the mall that day. They said they'd been waiting all afternoon for me to come back because they thought I came through there earlier that day rattling windows with my music. I had factory speakers in my 1993 Silverado. They called me a liar, got in my truck, turned the radio up, and told me I took the system out before I "came back". I wasn't going to argue and inflame the situation so I called the Bossier City Chief of Police and complained to no avail. Paid my $265.00 ticket when it was due and let it all go.

Another time, when I was 21, I was in Bossier and drinking a beer on my friend's front porch when a cop pulled up on the street and motioned me out there. I set down my beer and walked out there and proceeded to write a ticket. I asked why and he said I was drinking in public (which was complete BS). I fought that one in court and lost, the cop said he had to swerve around me.

I've also been let off or given a No-Seatbelt ticket when I was speeding or let go after being pulled over for other things from expired inspection stickers to my GF riding me while I drove down I-20. I've learned in my 27 years of driving that 999,999 times out of 1,000,000 it all depends on the cop and/or your attitude on whether or not you live to fight another day.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I've had my own experience with being stopped and ticketed twice in my white male life for doing nothing wrong.

Twice, and both times you did nothing wrong. This is exactly what I'm referring to and now multiply that by potentially everyone else.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I've had my own experience with being stopped and ticketed twice in my white male life for doing nothing wrong.

Twice, and both times you did nothing wrong. This is exactly what I'm referring to and now multiply that by potentially everyone else.

Point being that we've all dealt with asshole cops before, but how you handle it and where it goes from there is totally up to you 99.99% of the time. It's your right to scream about your Constitutional rights, but hardly ever will the cop say, "Hey, you know what, Mr. Smith? You're right and I apologize for pulling you over. Have a great day!"

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Point being that we've all dealt with asshole cops before, but how you handle it and where it goes from there is totally up to you 99.99% of the time. It's your right to scream about your Constitutional rights, but hardly ever will the cop say, "Hey, you know what, Mr. Smith? You're right and I apologize for pulling you over. Have a great day!"

You're basically agreeing with my point, if someone has it in for you it doesn't matter if you're right and the more you press the issue the more likely it is that you're going to end up afoul of multiple laws.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 09:53 AM
link   

if someone has it in for you it doesn't matter if you're right and the more you press the issue the more likely it is that you're going to end up afoul of multiple laws.

Right up to a certain point. Then you 'find out' what freedom really is ... or you discover you have always been a slave and always will be ... because you let fear control you.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Right up to a certain point. Then you 'find out' what freedom really is ... or you discover you have always been a slave and always will be ... because you let fear control you.

I don't think it has anything to do with fear, you can calmly lay out your argument and the police can still arrest you.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I just looked, it's illegal for you in the UK to pick up money and not report it. I suggest you check your local laws.

"And not report it."

Who woulda thunk they'd want you to report finding someone else's property? Like its being a decent human being or something. Weird.

And no, they can't just arrest you if they want to.

There are ticket-able offenses and there are arrestable offenses. Usually classified by misdemeanor or felony.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: rounda
Usually classified by misdemeanor or felony.

I know the difference.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join