It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOIA in jeopardy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
"It's become much, much harder to get responses to FOIA requests, and it's taking much, much longer," said David A. Schulz, the attorney who helps the AP with FOIA requests. "Agencies seem to view their role as coming up with techniques to keep information secret rather than the other way around. That's completely contrary to the goal of the act."

And, I would say, completely contrary to the needs of the people for government transparency.

Read the rest of the article at this link if you care about your access to information.

excuses multiply for keeping government data secret

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Here's a report I did a little while back. Less than a month I believe, it was for Sunshine Week.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There's some really good information contained there, for anyone with questions regarding FOIA, the procedures, and the common tactics used to deny requests. Of course, the point is they no longer need excuses, they're just beligerent and deny as many as they can. Why you might ask? Because Ashcroft told them to.
Bothersome to say the least.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Great treatment of the topic in your thread WyrdeOne. This subject is too important to just come up during Sunshine Week. We need to start a 'Sunshine Era' that will permanently remove the 'Cloud Cover' in D.C. .

If this thread helps keep attention focused on this vital matter, so much the better. Thanks for doing all the research.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
We need to start a 'Sunshine Era' that will permanently remove the 'Cloud Cover' in D.C. .

I couldn't agree more!

Also, please don't misunderstand, I wasn't trying to tell you your topic wasn't valid because it had been covered, I just wanted to add something to the discussion.

Just like you said, the more people that are aware, the better. For a democracy to function, the people absolutely MUST be informed.

Right now, most people in America are distracted, drugged, and delerious. Democracy of that type is more like mob rule, it's based on emotion, partial information, and the cult of personality.

JAK

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
The memory of the recent introduction of a similar law in the UK still makes me sigh.

For two solid weeks, three people were paid to sit and do nothing else but feed the paper shredders.

Freedom of information my

Jack

join