It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Landlords Sue to Stop Eviction Ban

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Yep. We've been working too, and we've been paying even though there are some things we didn't have to. We're smarter than to think the bill wouldn't come due.

And I can't believe the ones who had prior jobs call them up and they turned their employers down because they were getting that extra $600 unemployment. Now they don't have work and no unemployment, and how many of those are the ones who weren't paying certain bills they're behind on too?

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Exactly! That extra $600 on top of regular unemployment checks was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen in my life. We have temps that work where I am employed. Want to take a guess how many came back when called after getting a few of those checks? One. And that was my daughter. She knew better lol. They’ve cut them down to an extra $300 here now and still only 3 have come back. The temp agency is not turning them in for refusal. So they just keep drawing.

If you are going to pay people more to stay out of work, most of them are going to do it. I don’t know who was stupid enough to think otherwise.

edit on 12/22/2020 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: GraffikPleasure

Where yet have the bureaucrats suffered in all of this?

That's exactly it. The majority never do.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Being a landlord sucks... it truly does, try to be nice and 9 times out of 10 they try to take advantage of you.

All I wanted was to pay the morgage not one penny above that, and the tenant is being a putz even though she knew the rent. But she had a hard luck story and apparently read that I was a putz, recently let her know at the end of this lease I am putting the house on the market she can make an offer if she wants, ill even give her first crack at it.

At this point I just want out of that house.

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The landlords are right. They don’t own their building f they can’t collect rent on and they can’t kick you out for not paying it... they can’t find a new tennant who will pay. Granted landlords aren’t the group of people I am looking to go advocate for.

a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob808

Almost no one wants to and that's what they're counting on.

The problem is that in this case, the landlords are in the right. If we don't stick up for them, then what group will they come for next? Eventually, it might be a group you're part of that's getting hosed out of something because it would be mean for you to get paid.

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   
There is zero excuse to set aside the rule-of-law and deprive Americans of their property rights. Period, end of story.

If a government wants to help people in a health emergency, then pay their bills for them. That's a terrible idea, but it makes more sense than upending the way our system works.

Of course, it would be more logical and more right if the government just stayed out of it altogether, told us what we needed to do to stay safe and inhibit the epidemic, expected us to do it, and moved on.
edit on 23-12-2020 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I just said they are right, what more should I do to advocate for someone else who’s self interest often conflicts with mine? They are honestly part of this pickle, don’t you remember Freddie Mac? The last stimulus bill and this one have money going to a lot of the same parties... funny how solving a lending crisis and a health crisis mean sending $ to the same folks.

a reply to: ketsuko

edit on 23-12-2020 by Rob808 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   
How can the states not be sued for imminent domain?

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

And it is because of this that landlords become callous and jaded.

People continue to take kindness for weakness and keep making others into, I don't give a damn anymore folk, that often drop the mike and walk away.

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: JAGStorm

I completely agree. And the solution you propose is a good one.
Through either ineptitude or malice, it looks at though property, wealth, and ownership is going back into the hands of the state.

Interesting OP!

Actually....The Feds control the Super deeds and can take owned land without compensation because they are the owners of the super deeds. We cannot own property for real in America,unless we have those.

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Same over here unless you are high up aristocracy.

Land is never given over to the common man, coz Gods not making any more of it.

TPTB have us all by the short and curlies that way.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
"In a suit filed in U.S. District Court Monday night, hours after lawmakers voted to extend the state moratorium, the group argued that policies enacted this year by Gov. Kate Brown, the state Legislative Assembly, Multnomah County and the city of Portland are unconstitutional because they hinder legal contracts and amount to the government “taking” their property without proper compensation."
If the government doesn't want people evicted an eviction ban is not the answer. They should make renters file something proving hardship and have the government pay the landlords directly.

I would almost always loudly oppose crap-crud like this - but in this case, because these hardhips were actually created by the governments, I agree the governments are responsible for them.

But, I disagree with just filing hardships and the government payiong.

What needs to happen are wholesale class action lawsuits against the governments for violations of the takings clauses of both state and federal Constituutional guarantees. Sue these governments into bankruptcy. Liquidate their assets and require special elections to replace every single one of them.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Similar thing happened here in Aus. We have a rental property in Queensland and at one point earlier in the year we got told there would be a ban on evicition of tenants for 6 months, or until the end of the existing lease, which ever was longer and any existing lease agreement would be automatically extended until the end of the 6 months of the eviction ban. A caveat to this, was that any unpaid rent accrued during the ban period would still be payable by the tenant after the ban period.

There was a stipulation that you could kick a tenant out for other issues eg wilful damage to the property, or if there was an existing evicition notice prior to the ban.

Almost over night we got told by our tenant who had never had an issue with paying on time that they couldn't afford their rent. Just stopped paying... We luckily had insurance that covered the costs on lost rent during this time. The ass had the nerve to ask for a lease renewal, which we promptly told them to # off (after the ban period).

The kicker in all this though was, while the government protected the renters, it's not like I could just roll up to my bank and go sorry, can't pay my mortgage for the next few months. Landlords were still liable for their mortgage payments.

It left the owners totally exposed, some who would be in the same financial position as their tenants. And lets be honest, any tenant who would # over a landlord is only going to find themselves out on their arse at the end of an evicition ban period, the landlord is going to require larger deposits, place harsher conditions on a lease, and in the end, only make things harder for a tenant to actually find a place in the future.

Don't get me wrong, if a tenant came to me and explained the situation and we could sit down and come up with a workable option for both parties I'd be all for lowering, or stopping rent for a period of time. But to just email and say not paying. Shooting yourself in the foot.

And what do they think is going to happen when a bank forecloses on a landlord and then the tenant is out on their arse anyway....

It's a dangerous game to play.

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

With Oregon expected to continue a statewide eviction ban for at least six more months, three landlords are asking a judge to end the policy.

In a suit filed in U.S. District Court Monday night, hours after lawmakers voted to extend the state moratorium, the group argued that policies enacted this year by Gov. Kate Brown, the state Legislative Assembly, Multnomah County and the city of Portland are unconstitutional because they hinder legal contracts and amount to the government “taking” their property without proper compensation.

www.opb.org...
This is crazy.
I'm not a landlord, but this is nuts.

If the government doesn't want people evicted an eviction ban is not the answer. They should make renters file something proving hardship and
have the government pay the landlords directly.

I already know what is going to happen. Any landlords left will require a crazy amount of security deposit, last, first, and some extra months rent.
You know they will also scrutinize people like never before. How is that going to help affordable housing (which I think we really do need)?
This system is already in place in other countries. This is only going to add to the homeless population.

The Biden Administration (CDC) re-implemented the Moratorium on Evictions several weeks ago.

Yesterday, the U.S. Supreme Court said the Biden Administration violated the law by doing so.

The United States Supreme Court has struck down President Biden’s eviction moratorium, ruling that it can only be extended via action from Congress.

"If a federally imposed eviction moratorium is to continue," the ruling said about the moratorium Biden imposed as a means of protecting renters negatively affected by the coronavirus, "Congress must specifically authorize it."

The three liberal justices on the court, Justices Sotomayor, Kagan, and Breyer, dissented from the ruling.

More at: www.foxbusiness.com...

NOW...if we can only get the SCOTUS to stop these useless, oxygen-robbing, MASK MANDATES and the PERSONAL FREEDOM ROBBING Covid-19 VACCINE MANDATES.

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This is so weird, since the beginning of Covid, I've not missed one Rent payment. Every month, $1200 for rent in the late night drop box on the 3rd minutes before Midnight 😉 lulz.

Maybe I should get lazy and not pay rent?
edit on 27-8-2021 by Arnie123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Very nice catch!!

First it was to reinstate Trumps Border policy and now this, very nice! The Supremes doing some decent things, I'm a bit relieves.

Tho, are we honestly surprised at the dissenters? For people who claim aren't activist and the Supreme Court to be nuetral, tons of partisan rulings, huh?

In case y'all are wondering...

The majority says that the CDC, in barring evictions, relied on "a decades-old statute that authorizes it to implement measures like fumigation and pest extermination." "It strains credulity to believe that this statute grants the CDC the sweeping authority that it asserts."

Basically, the Biden admin is using frivolous loopholes that essentially amount to nothing. I suspect the same with Vaccine Mandates.
edit on 27-8-2021 by Arnie123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

I too have not missed a payment and got a little upset this morning listening to my local talk radio station this morning and the host brought up a story of someone he knew. Basically this guy willingly stopped paying his mortgage knowing this would come up. After a year of not paying his mortgage he went to the bank and told them that they can either forgive his last years worth of missed payments and refinance at a lower interest rate or he would continue to not pay.

The Bank had to agree as they have so many missed payments that anything was better than nothing. The guy was super proud that he gamed the system. I sure hope down the road some of these institutions start to reward the people that have not missed a payment.

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
a reply to: carewemust

Very nice catch!!

First it was to reinstate Trumps Border policy and now this, very nice! The Supremes doing some decent things, I'm a bit relieves.

Tho, are we honestly surprised at the dissenters? For people who claim aren't activist and the Supreme Court to be nuetral, tons of partisan rulings, huh?

In case y'all are wondering...

The majority says that the CDC, in barring evictions, relied on "a decades-old statute that authorizes it to implement measures like fumigation and pest extermination." "It strains credulity to believe that this statute grants the CDC the sweeping authority that it asserts."

Basically, the Biden admin is using frivolous loopholes that essentially amount to nothing. I suspect the same with Vaccine Mandates.

I want them to weigh-in on the big ticket issues...like the illogical Vaccine and Mask mandates that are increasing across the country.

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Shhhhhh! I'm buying some of that stuff to furnish my new place. Facebook Marketplace is a great place to be these days.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join