It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschoolers rule! So change the rules.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Reigning Geography Bee champion, can't compete this year because of a non-publisized rule change.

www.theunionleader.com...

I bet the Teachers Union had something to do with this.

How can the reigning champion not know how to keep his title?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I read this earlier this morning. Being homeschoolers we found
it interesting. Looks like they made sure that the winner couldn't
come back to show-up the public school kids again. The NEA
is an amazing piece of work.
I too bet they had something
to do with it. 1-2 million kids homeschooled means a lot less
teaching jobs and a lot less $$$ going into the NEA bank account.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Public education can't compete with home school. It's proven time and time again.

The rich and lazy send their children to private school.

The poor and lazy send their children to public school.

The parents who actually give a damn and can afford to stay home with their kids homeschool. It's a shame more people can't afford to do it, needing two incomes and all to keep pace in the rat race.

This wouldn't be a problem if we had truly free housing. Simple, austere concrete domes everywhere. It would cost a fraction of the money currently spent on welfare programs, would help far more people, and would actually contribute to education if you think about it, more parents home would mean more kids homeschooled.

Or, maybe we should make homeschooling mandatory, take all that money from the school systems and dump it into dome building.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
This is just another reason to be disgusted with the public education system.

From the Article:

Matt's disqualification had to do with a change in how home-schoolers take part in the competition. Prior to this year, the Savages said, it was possible for home-schoolers to take part by competing in local competitions held at schools, an option denied to public school students attending a school not hosting a local bee. This year, though, the rule was changed so that home-schoolers could only compete through contests which home-school associations had set up.

Nowhere have I read a reson for doing so. Why? That is what I want to know. This sounds like a clear case of discrimination based on educational values. If the public schools want to compete educationally with home schoolers, they should revise the subpar education being given. Why is a homeschool child punished for excelling?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Why is a homeschool child punished for excelling?

Same reason why Nerds are picked on in school, they feel threatened. It's anti-intellectualism at its best and it really make me sick

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

It's anti-intellectualism at its best and it really make me sick

I think you are right here. I home school my daughter (she is 6) and she excells at everything I teach her. I really dont think that public schools are condusive for education. It seems to me there are more distractions at a public school.

join