It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WaPost: A growing number of Americans are going hungry

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

More Americans are going hungry now than at any point during the deadly coronavirus pandemic, according to a Post analysis of new federal data — a problem created by an economic downturn that has tightened its grip on millions of Americans and compounded by government relief programs that expired or will terminate at the end of the year. Experts say it is likely that there’s more hunger in the United States today than at any point since 1998, when the Census Bureau began collecting comparable data about households’ ability to get enough food.

lots of businesses haven't recovered yet and gummint (thank you Nancy Pelosi) can't agree on a relief bill.

apparently there isn't a food shortage, just people without cash.

always the issue of whether people are genuinely poor or can't manage their money properly (those with Mercedes etc).

I really hope and pray this thing ends so we can go back to sorta normalcy.

I hate to think of anyone going hungry but I also hate the thought of being scammed by some lazy loser.
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Thanks, Democrats.

Shutting down states, killing people's jobs, and ensuring the destitution of Americans for years to come.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

I suspect, I fear, its only going to get a lot worse.

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Huh, gosh, who would have thought that forcing people out of work to save them from a virus that doesn't kill them might have other consequences?

I guess our sadistically benevolent overlords might have.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

As long as the shutdowns and destructive policies continue unchecked, this will be the "new normal."

It kills me that Americans are going hungry in the 21st century and it is within the power of a select few individuals to abate that suffering.

They could do it now.

But they won't.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   
But the DOW and the ECONOMY.

RECORD NUMBERS, RECORD WEALTH. Trickle on down baby, just like Reagan promised

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero

lots of businesses haven't recovered yet and gummint (thank you Nancy Pelosi) can't agree on a relief bill.

apparently there isn't a food shortage, just people without cash.

always the issue of whether people are genuinely poor or can't manage their money properly (those with Mercedes etc).

I really hope and pray this thing ends so we can go back to sorta normalcy.

I hate to think of anyone going hungry but I also hate the thought of being scammed by some lazy loser.

NM shutting down grocery stores for two weeks will save people a lot of money, so we have that.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigsnowman

Hard for anything to trickle anywhere when your own governor says, "I'm sorry. Your business is not essential, so you cannot be open and conducting business because there is a virus."

It has zippo to do with any other kind of policy than that one. When you can't conduct business, you can't do anything else, including pay your employees, and then none of you can feed your families.
edit on 28-11-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The elites could care less about the US general population........see them as useless breeders.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: bigsnowman

State and local Democrat governments are creating this via COVID19 policy. They are the ones screaming at us about "the science" meanwhile, the science is telling us it's not that serious of a disease, and that shutdowns are killing people by the millions through starvation.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   

It trickles quite well to me, thank you, but then I worked to build a career... In this case it seems Governors are turning off the trickle until further notice for many...

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Maybe all those people who helped to donate over $3 billion to get their people elected can donate equal amounts to The Salvation Army, St. Jude's, and other charities. That would really help the people they claim to care about. Just imagine what honest charities can do with that kind of money.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Mark Cuban got into a Twat feud with other proggies about that leading into Thanksgiving. The rush was on to donate, donate, donate to take the Senate in Georgia, and he suggested quietly into the progressive Twat space that maybe some of that money could be sent to local food banks since to many were without this Thanksgiving, and he got flamed BIG TIME.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

It feels like you do not understand the world you live in.

The DOW is doing well because lock downs have allowed national corporations to continue to operate. Since those national corporations aren't running brick and mortar stores, their profits will be record breaking.

The trickle is broken, however, in that without people being allowed to work the faucet is turned off. The wealth is circulating among the wealthy and in off shore havens. Its not bouncing back into circulation again...as the wage part of that cycle is broken.

There IS record wealth...but all of it amassed in the hands of those who didn't need to work when this all started.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

They need to get their made-up stories straight then, because CNN screamed the other day that there are food shortages for food banks and grocery stores. (While, stupidly, showing background video of a typical Saturday morning farmers market)

Assholes.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   

is there a republican governor or mayor that is openly denying the lockdowns and allowing their population to go back to the way it was before covid?

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab
A lot of places never "locked down" to begin with.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
Maybe all those people who helped to donate over $3 billion to get their people elected can donate equal amounts to The Salvation Army, St. Jude's, and other charities. That would really help the people they claim to care about. Just imagine what honest charities can do with that kind of money.

Do you think the charities you listed are honest? I don’t know, but I’m going to bet they aren’t, because of how large and national they are. When I was active duty, they had the CFC drive every fall, and you would get a thick booklet that listed many charities and what percentage of donations went to different things like paying salaries, especially the big sitters, and what percentage actually went to the people or causes they claimed to help. Most of them, almost always the big largely visible ones, had a TERRIBLE rating in regard to how much actually went to their cause.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Brother, sometimes I wonder if you are a giant idiot. ❤️

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl
Generally I agree with you for the most part. I am better off donating my time and excess crops/meat to the local places, than donating a days pay to like salvation army.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join