It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Wisconsin declares large rock to be racist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thats a fair and reasoned point. You have a much more valued and weighted opinion on this than I do.
Mainly because I don't care either way.

But my point about clickbaiting titles, and how even when they seem insignificant like this one they have the ability trigger people, stands. And for me to just voice that and be met with pure hate from certain members seems to justify my point.

Some people are far more angry with those that don't agree with them on the content than they are angry about the content itself (not referring to you).

To the point where anyone who doesn't immediately voice their own outrage on the content (me) gets a barrage of nonsensical off-topic abuse that ranged from LGBQT to being anti-Trump. Purely for pointing out a misleading title.

That's the level we are at now.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Hamlin

Took you a helluva long time to say it’s a rock.

Also if you’re lambasting me for Tourette’s, don’t make them look good by gettin all crazy on me. d’bdyeh d’bdyeh That’s all Folks

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 07:48 AM
link   

The thing is though that if the university is seriously considering the students' demands, then the university is implying they might have a point which would imply that the rock is racist or at least the traditions behind it are.

And so the university is giving serious weight to their complaint.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Solid State Lives Matter

(post by LSU2018 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 07:56 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: trollz

All those participation trophies are finally paying dividends.
This is the result of several generations being told that they are special.

Exactly. Now it's up to us to tame the monsters they've created and try to turn them back into normal humans.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Is that a bad thing? That they take a complaint serious, take an unbiased approach to it before making a decision?

Do you think that whether its a symbol of racism is, pardon the pun, set in stone? Or is it opinion based. And if the majority are of the opinion that it is a symbol of racism should they not act on the will of the majority?

I know what you are saying that if something like this gets approved then it sets in motion a snowball and suddenly mail-in-ballots have to be called gender-neutral-in-ballots. And its a fair concern for you if you don't agree.

Like I said previously my post was merely a comment on clickbait culture. The fact that one member decided to act like a child about it gives me a glimpse into the maturity level of this website and possibly its dedication to serious discussion.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: slatesteam

STOP RIGHT THERE!

What's your problem with the Mandalorian? And no spoilers for season two, yet, please. . .

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Such a great point, Ket...

All of these removed statues, all of these removal of rights, all of these special favors, and yet not a single emotional college student is happy. I'd like to think that eventually those giving the special favors will learn that they're only making things worse with each special privilege.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   

No.

I think we need to go back to a time when people learned how to deal with things on their own instead of thinking the world around them had to conform to a place that never, ever made them feel the slightest bit bad or uncomfortable.

Think about it ... we are talking about one article ... in one newspaper that made one reference, and it never, ever caught on with anyone until someone today dug it up and spread it around.

It's like the precious snowflake children of today think this one thing means there is some deep laid conspiracy that all the other people in the world now secretly think this thing about this rock to secretly denigrate them or something. It's sad, but they're now hellbent on getting the boulder dug up over it.

At some point, someone needs to put on the adult pants and tell them no.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: LSU2018

Where's a good G'rignac when you need one?

HA! I'm seeing a trend here... Rocks are alive in fantasy lands.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Well thats your view and your welcome to it.

Personally I'd say its equal parts snowflake with those who want to remove the rock and those who cry about it being removed.

Your energy and focus on telling people to put their "adult pants" on seems to be selective though, you have two children posting in this thread above you and I didn't see you mention anything to them. I wonder why.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Speaking of rocks , ever notice how some folks are dumber than a box of rocks without the rocks ?
Damn , I am glad I got my advanced training somewhere besides college.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hamlin

Some people are far more angry with those that don't agree with them on the content than they are angry about the content itself (not referring to you).

Welcome to the most polarized society any living person in America has ever seen. It took us 14 years to get here, but the divide finally happened. Do we let them conquer us now?

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Ummm. That rock could be a native American heritage rock. I think they should ask the Native Americans in the area if they have objection to removing it. If they destroy a historical marker, that would be a racist act against Native Americans.

Rocks in some places have a lot of heritage to the people who have been here a long time, they are markers, sometimes they were border markers of tribes. Maybe the guy who used Racial slur a hundred years ago said it so that he could remove the rock, a nut called it a bad name because he hated the old Indian rock there. Since they did not remove the rock, it is an anti-racist rock. It was probably a marker of someone's true property line and he wanted to take that person's land or something.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Drucifer

So you are nitpicking words here.

The point is that the students have demanded the rock be removed over an incident because they think it will make them feel better. The rock itself has nothing to do with anything.

The correct response should be that this says more about the students that they let this incident so own their psyches than anything else. It would be like me demanding that my elementary school be razed to the ground because I had some profoundly unhappy years there as a child thanks to relentless bullying.

It also says something about the people willing to go along with it and allow the rock to be removed.

That's easy to explain too.

Sometimes I give in to the demands of my little children because I'm to tried after a long day of work, simply don't want to hear them wining anymore, and if $5 I'd rather not give them to play their online games shuts them up ... so be it.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

originally posted by: Drucifer

So you are nitpicking words here.

The point is that the students have demanded the rock be removed over an incident because they think it will make them feel better. The rock itself has nothing to do with anything.

The correct response should be that this says more about the students that they let this incident so own their psyches than anything else. It would be like me demanding that my elementary school be razed to the ground because I had some profoundly unhappy years there as a child thanks to relentless bullying.

It also says something about the people willing to go along with it and allow the rock to be removed.

That's easy to explain too.

Sometimes I give in to the demands of my little children because I'm to tried after a long day of work, simply don't want to hear them wining anymore, and if $5 I'd rather not give them to play their online games shuts them up ... so be it.

Oh, I do it with tenants all the time at work just to shut them up as well. However, the rest of the country doesn’t have to deal with those tenants or your kids and they aren’t whining about things outside of their workplace/home.

At some point, someone has to step in and say “Ok, this is getting to be a bit much.”.

I dunno, f*ck it. Let ‘em do what they want. If I end up getting my way, I’ll be in a log cabin somewhere in the Adirondacks, miles away from civilization so I won’t have to deal with this bullsh*t anymore.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hamlin
a reply to: trollz

Regardless of what your opinion of this story is the bias was outlined in your first statement.

"Wisconsin declares large rock to be racist" "large rock is a symbol of racism"

If you don't understand the difference then so be it, but this is just another clickbait, fakenews snowflake take on the story at hand.

Hopefully someone has directed you to the original source by this time. It is so WEIRD to me that left wing people demand obnoxious things and then deny that the obnoxious things are demanded - and also cost 75000 dollars to mediate the demands. Most people don't make that in one year of hard work. However, if some spoiled brats are offended by what something USED TO BE CALLED then all sense be damned! Spend that money! There are hurt feelings!

By the way, those feelings will never stop being hurt, they just like feeling of making puppets dance.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join