It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 - Cobra Maneuver

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigx01
its basicly this

Cobra : Perhaps the most fmous of all, in this move the sukhoi pitches up to 120 degrees angle of attack, and almost stops in mid air. The nose then falls back through to the horizontal, and the aircraft accelerates away in the original direction. There in no major gain or loss in height (unless there is an error of some sort on the entry and recovery).

here's a F-15 doing it

most fighter jets can do the maneuver

that's not a cobra. read what u have posted above that pic.the animation in my signature is a perfect cobra.

and most jets CANNOT do the cobra.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Pretty darn close with the F-15 on the Cobra, maybe we can give it snappy name or something, at anyrate, I still fail to see how killing off all of your energy is as huge of an advantage as you make it out to be??

I like Sukhoi planes and I like the maneuver and have been lucky enough to see it live, but really fail to see it as the Raptor beater you are making out to be.

Yes the U.S. could make a "super agility" fighter should they chose and the example is the Rockwell/Messerschmitt-B-B X-31. Its can perform maneuvers that would make most pilots puke including the super cobra and the any the other vaunted "airshow" maneuvers. Built in 1990 it even flew with its tail off to see what it could do. Very successfully. Did the U.S. chose or any other maker to build super agile fighters? Not to the likes of Sukhoi. Why? Perhaps its not all that it is made out to be???

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
and were did you see cobra there?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
"negatory" is military jargon...for the one who asked...same as "negative"

My father brags all the time about the capabilities of the Raptor (nothing specific mind you of course, but I once asked him about the super cobra and he said "easily"). He works on the Raptor project for Lockheed...

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
If it can do the Cobra, that'd be nothing but positive.

Supermanueverablity in this day and age with BVR combat is like a knife in the battlefield full of assault rifles - It mightn't stand a chance, but it's damn handy to have.

At least if you cover all bases, you'll be reasonably well off if something goes wrong.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Did someone call me?

Cool video Seeker.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigx01
its basicly this

Cobra : Perhaps the most fmous of all, in this move the sukhoi pitches up to 120 degrees angle of attack, and almost stops in mid air. The nose then falls back through to the horizontal, and the aircraft accelerates away in the original direction. There in no major gain or loss in height (unless there is an error of some sort on the entry and recovery).

The Cobra

or this is better

or check out these video's of the F/A 22 Raptor

F/A 22 Video's

here's a F-15 doing it

Asian Aerospace 2004, F-15E performing a cobra maneuver at the air show. Photos by Ed Turner

most fighter jets can do the maneuver

can you provide a link to that site with the F-15 doing the cobra manuever please?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fenix F 308
and were did you see cobra there?

Paris, 1999. No I did not see the crash of the Su-30 that is played often though.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
maby you see somthing more then I. But I don't see there nothing cobra..
www.f22-raptor.com...

[edit on 22-3-2005 by Fenix F 308]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   

maby you see somthing more then I. But I don't see there nothing cobra..
www.f22-raptor.com...

The F-22 was not flying demos at the show If I recall right, I was refering to the Russian team performing it. I will give props to the Russian teams they put on a great show!

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Don't F. the brain.It's show up fly and it's don't show nothing except "bell"maneuver (i don't know how it rightly on english). I don't see cobra ...

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Double . ...

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Don't F. the brain.It's show up fly and it's don't show nothing except "Flank" (i don't know how it rightly on english). I don' see cobra ...

Im confused now.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Fred sorry for bad english. Seecerof sad that on video => cobra .. And I don't saw nothing cobra .. .. However.
Again sorry for bad english.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Fred sory for bad english. Seecerof sad that on video => cobra .. And I don't saw nothing cobra .. .. However.

No worries, I have seen the video of the F-22 and it can perform the manuver. I beleive the EF-Typhoon and ther Grippen can also do it with ease.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Fred sorry for bad english. Seecerof sad that on video => cobra .. And I don't saw nothing cobra .. .. However.

Its there, let me see, The fourth picture down. on the right there are little vid links. You need quick time, and need to download or atleast I did.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
EF-Typhoon have "lower down" wings, and it can't do the cobra, thrust me

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
that F-15 's nose is hardly at 40 degress.

120 degrees....dream on

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
that F-15 's nose is hardly at 40 degress.

120 degrees....dream on

Look at the smoke generators on the wing, it could already be recovering from the manuver?

But at anyrate who cares? Its not a combat manuver unless the Soviets tried using to avoid say a mujahadden stinger or something.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xar Ke Zeth
If it can do the Cobra, that'd be nothing but positive.

Supermanueverablity in this day and age with BVR combat is like a knife in the battlefield full of assault rifles - It mightn't stand a chance, but it's damn handy to have.

At least if you cover all bases, you'll be reasonably well off if something goes wrong.

I agree its the same reason they have a gun on the F-22 I mean BVR Missiles are great and what are used most of the time. But when it the off chance you get into a dogfight that gun and manueverablity pays off.

Its like taking too guys with sniper rifles and putting them into a phone booth to fight, Then giving one a knife in that same situation. That crude knife can own then.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join