It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School closures will cost students thousands in future earnings

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   
My sons Girl is a second grad teacher GUESS WHO GOT THE VIRUS .
Now I see a lot of complaint's BUT NO solutions .
WELL FOR all the DUMBED down people .
SIMPLE once schools can OPEN safely KEEP THEM OPEN YEAR ROUND my god its just to simple .
The only reason schools closed in summer is 200 years agaio NO cold air .
Japan has year round schooling and Guess what EVEN BEFOR the virus there kids are YEARS ahead of ours .
I realize most people just want there NO so free baby sittings service back .

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Nonsense! Why do people believe in this crap? You mean to tell me that because a third grader missed a few weeks of "normal" school that his future earnings as an adult will be affected? How exactly was that calculated? Will the people who calculate this follow through with these kids as adults to prove their current assumptions? Are you telling us little Johnny isn't going to get into law school because he missed a grammar lesson in third grade? Don't you think earnings potential might have something to do with the economic situations when these kids are adults? More fake news by fake journalists who have no idea what they are talking about.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
For kids below college level, the money goes into the pit, it's just not as noticeable as a nonrefundable semester paid for that was lost. You don't get your property taxes refunded do you? On that case, it's the parents that lost the money, not the student directly. Student that took out their own loans are taking the loss directly. And it delays them getting paid, but that assumes they would be landing a job right away once graduating, which word on the streets is not anywhere near a done deal like in the boomer haydays.

edit on Mon, 19 Oct 2020 15:01:00 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I have a 5th grader and this is what I have noticed since his school went full virtual (opening back up now partially)

His grades have suffered some, but his study habits have improved. I think we will have a net gain in terms of independent thinking and developing of learning styles throughout the school systems. The first few months were a bit rough, but as time went by and the newness and dependence of having a go to for instruction had worn off students began using their own resources and I think it will give them an added advantage of knowing and understanding how to approach studying in a manner that best fits them personally.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Our district delayed the start by a couple weeks, but gave parents the choice for the younger kids, so ours is back in school full-time now. There have been couple of emails about "staff member positive", but no contact beyond that so ours never get into any direct contact with "staff member positive".

The middle and high school kids are on hybrid 2/3 schedules for the time being. Two onsite; 3 at-home. Still full activities with precautions.

Case numbers are idling at about the same rate in this area as they have been for the past couple months.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Nonsense! Why do people believe in this crap? You mean to tell me that because a third grader missed a few weeks of "normal" school that his future earnings as an adult will be affected? How exactly was that calculated? Will the people who calculate this follow through with these kids as adults to prove their current assumptions? Are you telling us little Johnny isn't going to get into law school because he missed a grammar lesson in third grade? Don't you think earnings potential might have something to do with the economic situations when these kids are adults? More fake news by fake journalists who have no idea what they are talking about.

While there are other issues I'm sure(My Daughter is a teacher) I'd agree the future earnings thing is just fear-mongering with more steps.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
For kids below college level, the money goes into the pit, it's just not as noticeable as a nonrefundable semester paid for that was lost. You don't get your property taxes refunded do you? On that case, it's the parents that lost the money, not the student directly. Student that took out their own loans are taking the loss directly. And it delays them getting paid, but that assumes they would be landing a job right away once graduating, which word on the streets is not anywhere near a done deal like in the boomer haydays.

It wasn't true in the so called "boomer heydays" either. We're talking about EARNINGS here, not tuition. The claim is that an elementary school student, who certainly does not pay tuition unless it's an exclusive private school, will miss out on future earnings because they missed some grade school. I find that idea preposterous.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Destroy their education, ruin their future earning potential, destroy the economy and what other choice do they have then to accept being a government slave for UBI money?

I don't dispute that online schooling has its drawbacks, but I see an awful lot of hyperbole and one hell of a slippery slope here.

Also, a defining characteristic of UBI is that it is unconditional. Based on what do you draw your conclusion that children will be "government slaves" is exchange for a UBI?

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Some of the districts in Iowa have cancelled bus rides and are making really weird decisions like forcing kids to stand outside of the building in the cold, entering in timed groups and not allowing kids to have lockers.
Absolute insanity

edit on 10 by Mandroid7 because: Added

edit on 10 by Mandroid7 because: Sp

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

It wasn't true in the so called "boomer heydays" either. We're talking about EARNINGS here, not tuition. The claim is that an elementary school student, who certainly does not pay tuition unless it's an exclusive private school, will miss out on future earnings because they missed some grade school. I find that idea preposterous.

Do you find it as preposterous that those in public school are learning common core math which has absolutely nothing to do with everyday life?

Do you find it preposterous it was made to even out learning capabilities?

Do you find it odd how similar it is to IQ tests?

Do you find it odd the largest portion of abortion clinics in the US are in majority minority neighborhoods?

Now, most importantly, do you find it odd that all of these things are pushed by the left and have yet to help anyone?

I cant wait to see the stats on the effects of common core on kids in 10 years....

Anywho....I digress.

The current 20/30 something parent these days has little to no ability to discern feelings from logic/fact. Public schools are preaching feelings.....it is really disconcerting to me. It is the very reason why I put my kids in a private school.

Seriously.....learn to think for yourself and use common sense.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

living in Michigan under Whitmer is an education in itself

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Missing school was common for families in my parents' generation because of farming. Some of them left the farms and did very well for themselves. I'm not buying into this mindset that this one school year is going to be catastrophic for anyone except parents who either have to stay home and not work or hire babysitters.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
a reply to: TKDRL
Imagine if anytime a couple kids got the regular flu they shut down schools.

It's absurd.

Because it's exactly the same thing.

My sister was a school teacher who went back to work last month. She didn't feel safe doing so, but it's her job. She caught covid, was hospitalized, and now has permanent brain and lung damage from it. She likely won't be able to teach again as her memory, speech, motor skills, and ability to just think straight are not what they were 3 weeks ago.
edit on 19-10-2020 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Is it exactly the same thing? Excuse me for saying so, but you seem to be saying that schools should basically shut down every flu season there.

I'm sorry your sister had a rough go of it, but you realize she could have gotten COVID anywhere whether she was in school working or not? And it wouldn't matter where she got it, the case would have impacted her severely it seems. I doubt she never left her house at all, and even if she didn't someone had to go out occasionally to keep her going with things she needed. Every contact was COVID potential. That's just the reality of it.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe she left her 30-year doomsday fallout bunker fully stocked with food and water.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Is it exactly the same thing?

That part was sarcasm.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Imagine if anytime a couple kids got the regular flu they shut down schools.

It's absurd.

Because it's exactly the same thing.

My sister was a school teacher who went back to work last month. She didn't feel safe doing so, but it's her job. She caught covid, was hospitalized, and now has permanent brain and lung damage from it. She likely won't be able to teach again as her memory, speech, motor skills, and ability to just think straight are not what they were 3 weeks ago.

Look, as cold and harsh as this will sound, it's a smack to the face most people desperately need to hear one way or the other instead of mollycoddling and catering -- your sister's genes are a weak link to have that outcome. That is NOT my problem. Granted, we aren't computers that can call up each gene and fix them with a few Command Prompt commands, but her outcome is still not on other people's heads, no matter how badly YOU want it to be. Normal people -- and in this case, I mean the vast majority of us who don't seem to be genetically defective when going toe-to-toe with a simple virus (sorry, but to have that short straw? Something's not in your genetic favor there, I'd bet on it) don't deserve punished and sequestered because some of the population to the tune of a TINY percentage overall got naturally weeded out. I don't see this kind of fuss over diabetics (have a Type 1 in the fam) or heart issues (MAJOR cardiac health downside in my family, too) or even suicide, so forgive me for not kowtowing.
edit on 10/19/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Never Despise

My understanding is that mostly it's the college-level that is closed.

It is here. I was signed up to take an eight month course starting this september. Now the start date has been pushed to january but with all the second wave talk as well as articles stating colleges are running out of money I'm thinking of asking for a refund while I still can get it. Big disruption in my life, that's for sure. School age kids are still attending like normal, if you can call it "normal"

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Looking at the way Common core is taught and how students are taught to approach problems leads me to disagree with the negative reputation common core has been tainted with.

I believe it strengthens troubleshooting and develops out of the box thinking when approaching a problem. I dare say it's not traditional and my opinion is not in line with the way most conservatives have developed around the buzz word.

I do absolutely hate the way the states implement standardized testing because it is more about the bs a kid can endure instead of what the kid actually knows.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Wow, pretty shocked to hear schools are still closed. They reopened on normal schedule in my town. I assumed most places did the same.

it all depends on where you are. here there is no in person school at all, at any level. and hasn't been since March. in fact just this week they loosened some of the restrictions a bit. and now children over the age of 15, and adults under 65 are actually allowed to leave their homes, since we are doing a bit better. before it was children under 21 and adults over 60 were not allowed to leave home.

in some areas like Ontario they have a choice, either full time online learning. or a hybrid system of some time in class, and some time online.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by: ketsuko
Is it exactly the same thing?

That part was sarcasm.

The point remains. Your odds of suffering severe complications from the flu including death are about the same, but no one suggest we shut down over. And there are people who know people who have had serious bouts with it and suffered serious ill effects from it or even died from it. And in the case of the flu, those people are highly likely to include children as opposed to COVID which barely touches children.

Let's take this another way. During the H1N1 pandemic that took place on Biden's watch as VP, he was put in charge of the US's response to it. 61million people got infected by it! That flu was at least as contagious as COVID. Now imagine, Biden's response to COVID ... can you imagine 61million people infected with it? That's how Biden handled the last infectious disease pandemic. It was sheer dumb luck the disease in question wasn't more deadly.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join