It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Sistani For 2005 Nobel’s Peace Prize, please vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Al-Sistani For 2005 Nobel’s Peace Prize

We the undersigned would like to file our petition to the Swedish Academy and Nobel Prize Committee to nominate the Muslim’s spiritual Leader Ayat-Ullah Ali Al-Sistani for the highly respected humanitarian award –Nobel Prize for Peace for 2005.

We belong to various religious, ethnic and various professions and system of thoughts – however, we united in respecting social peace and brotherhood of all races and cultures of Humanity.

Mr. Sistani gave Muslims all around the globe a good example how to follow peaceful ways to resolve complex social-political challenges that face them, condemning terror and emphasizing to Millions of Muslims to follow rules of law and respect to humane, peaceful methods and civic norms to promote social peace and political-civic peaceful practices in the Iraqi , Muslim and Int’l societies. We deeply believe that the contribution of Ayat-Ullah Ali Al-Sistani has helped Iraqi society to avoid civil and multiethnic violent conflicts that terrorists intended to draw, and by this he has promoted peace and respect to human brotherhood in Iraq, the region, and all over the world- and that is why we believe Al-Sistani deserves the Nobel prize for Peace.

Sincerely

www.petitiononline.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I most certianly will not sign any petition to give anyone a noble peace prize, even if I think they deserve it, which al-sistani certainly does not. THe Comitte is completely independant and most certainly will not listen to some toothless and meaningless online petition.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
If anyone deserves the Peace Prize it is President Bush. But if he does get it, then he would be compared to Jimmy Carter, Yassir Arafat, Mikhail Gorbechev, for having one. No, now that I think of it, give it to a Muslim, that would keep with tradition of worthless recipients of the prize.

[edit on 8-5-2005 by Carseller4]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Carseller, your post is about as blatantly hypocritical as your avatar.

The Nobel Peace Prize should be given to someone who has made an obvious and substantial contribution to the stabilization of any of the manifold areas of conflict which speckle our beautiful Earth or to the furthering of Human Rights in areas which are lacking in this property. I wish I could, but I cannot see President Bush as making this contribution and not for lack of trying either. His Road Map solution for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict was a commendable effort to solve that problem, but unfortunately there has been little if any development in that area. Maybe in the coming years the Iraqi liberation will be the stimulus for a flowering of democracy in the Middle East, in which case a Nobel Prize may be warranted, but as it stands today there is very little proof that the Second Gulf War has had any effect on the state of democracy in the Middle East. Not Bush, not yet at least, his administration has had too much of a violent influence on the world recently. In time it may appear that Bush's foreign policies brought about peace in the world, but right now that is not the case.

Also, I am a bit stunned by the apparent ignorance of your statement "give it to a Muslim, that would keep with tradition of worthless recipients of the prize." You seem to be calling all Muslims worthless, I am sure that you did not intend such a thing.

I would have to say that after looking at Al-Sistani's actions in Baghdad, he has had more of a stabilizing effect than Bush has. To go through his page on Wikipedia, Sistani has:

• Brokered an agreement that eneded the standoff in Najaf at the holy Imam Ali shrine between U.S. marines and Muqtada al-Sadr's Mehdi army.
  • Called for the formation of a constitutional convention
  • Demanded a direct vote for the purpose of forming a transitional government
  • Criticized American plans for an Iraqi government as not being democratic enough.
  • Consistently urged the Iraqi Shia not to respond in kind to attacks from Sunni Salafists, which have become common in Sunni-dominated regions of Iraq like the area known as the "triangle of death," south of Baghdad.

This doesnt seem to be a very "worthless" man. His effect on Iraq has been one that was sorely needed in the violence that erupted after the toppling of Saddam's Baathist government. He is a paragon of what Muslim clerics should be: peace brokers and stabilizers, sources of calm in chaos; not fear-mongering, murderous demagogues as so many prominent clerics, from Al-Sadr to Khomeini have been. He is certainly qualified for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Jaded

top topics

join