It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OHHHHHH So now Stay at home Parents are unpaid

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Wow have views changed quick! Funny how actually having to do it changes peoples perception.
Now it is sooo hard, so impossible?

news.yahoo.com...

And more than half of parents will be taking on this second, unpaid job at the same time they’re holding down paid work.
Thirteen percent of parents have considered quitting their jobs. The same share has considered moving to be closer to family who could help, or moving to a different district or enrolling in private school because of reopening plans.

I've done physical labor, I've worked retail, I've worked the corporate ladder, I've worked high stress regulated jobs,
NONE compared to being a stay at home mom. I was always dismayed at how people turned their noses down at stay at home moms & dads.
The phrase I hated the most "oh, so you don't work?" It was so insulting.
I doubt we'll hear that anytime soon!

It also appears gardening and sewing isn't as easy as it looks either! ha

edit on 19-8-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Bill Burr has it right about stay at home mom's.

🤣

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

🤣

There were many times I'd rather be roofing in 100 degree weather!

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

🤣

Says nobody.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   
So taking care of your family is now an "unpaid job"? WTH is that.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Well, it's not a job title like a lot of people use it for. A job is a paid position of regular employment and when someone refers to working, they're referring to the job you go to everyday. Taking care of our kids is our responsibility. I often feel guilty that I drop my son off at daycare everyday so my wife and I can work our jobs, but I use a woman who was a good friend in high school and owns one of the best daycares around here, plus he loves it there. If my wife wanted to stay home to take care of him, I would let her in a heartbeat, but never in a million years would she say she was a stay at home mom. She would say she doesn't work, she stays home with our son.

Everyone is entitled to their preference, but there's no need in getting offended when someone says you don't work. Anyone with a kid (who loves their kid(s) knows it's a task caring for a child.
edit on 19-8-2020 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Raising children has always been a community endeavor, and suddenly the village that parents relied on is gone. It’s taking a toll on parents’ careers, families’ well-being and children’s education.

When the heck was this a thing, in the last 20-30 years? BS!

I managed to survive as a single mom. And these people are getting to work from home?
Grow up and grow a set!!!

It's the single parents, that don't get to work from home I feel for. They are the ones that need help right now, if their child can't go back to in person school.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Anyone with a kid (who loves their kid(s) knows it's a task caring for a child.

99.99999% of the time it was said by people with kids. Sorry to say mostly moms.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Is this a thread about women complaining they have to make sandwiches?

Stop trying to fight your DNA and get in the damn kitchen.

edit on 19-8-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer because Q indicted it

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

🤣

Says nobody.

Especially once they step foot on the roof. My parents decided to put a new roof on their house when I was 16. That shart's for the birds, and it was Fall when we did it.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Back in the day I summer temp with a roofing company in Chicago and coating yourself in Vaseline and wearing long sleeved shirts and jeans so you don't get tar pitch burns sucked, longest summer ever, never again.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

"Unpaid job"? Are they #ing kidding me? It's what we sign up for when we spread our legs/stick it somewhere, otherwise known as "raising what you bred". It's not a JOB job, it's an obligation built into our DNA. Well, most of us have it built-in, some people are just...some people have no business caring for a plastic houseplant, let alone anything living, put it that way.

Next thing you know,someone's going to bitch that having pets is a full time job. In a tongue-in-cheek manner, it sometimes seems like it with the zoo at my house, but it's not a damn job, it's what you signed up to be responsible for, FFS.

Whiny-ass little brats anymore, good god. Why did they have kids if they're not going to be bothered to shoulder the mantle for 18 years, or just bitch incessantly about the responsibility, eh?

Edit: That's my POV as a SAHM. It's really that simple of a stance, people make parenting sound much more convoluted than necessary & more than it really is, and I firmly believe it's just attention whoring. Kids are hard, hell sometimes pets are hard, but it's not TEOTWAWKI. I think some people simply don't like lifting fingers for their Instagram subjects -- I mean, kids.
edit on 8/19/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

"Unpaid job"? Are they #ing kidding me? It's what we sign up for when we spread out legs/stick it somewhere, otherwise known as "raising what you bred". It's not a JOB job, it's an obligation built into our DNA. Well, most of us have it built-in, some people are just...some people have no business caring for a plastic houseplant, let alone anything living, put it that way.

Next thing you know,someone's going to bitch that having pets is a full time job. In a tongue-in-cheek manner, it sometimes seems like it with the zoo at my house, but it's not a damn job, it's what you signed up to be responsible for, FFS.

Whiny-ass little brats anymore, good god. Why did they have kids if they're not going to be bothered to shoulder the mantle for 18 years, or just bitch incessantly about the responsibility, eh?

DAMN

Truth bomb has been dropped.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

"Unpaid job"? Are they #ing kidding me? It's what we sign up for when we spread out legs/stick it somewhere, otherwise known as "raising what you bred". It's not a JOB job, it's an obligation built into our DNA. Well, most of us have it built-in, some people are just...some people have no business caring for a plastic houseplant, let alone anything living, put it that way.

Nothing to add but

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Muninn

Lol, you and JAG get it! It's life, life's a little bit of work, a little bit of elbow grease, and a lot of compromising. The Gimme, Gimme NOW people deluded themselves into thinking life is effortless. It is not. It does not, however, mean every single thing we do or take responsibility of is "work". People that think that are lazy, and idiots.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   

If you choose to have kids then you choose to take responsibility for them , why should the tax payer fund that choice ?

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Anyone with a kid (who loves their kid(s) knows it's a task caring for a child.

99.99999% of the time it was said by people with kids. Sorry to say mostly moms.

I've rarely met a kid who didn't run over his/her mom. My 4 year old will run over his mom all the time and she'll spank him, yell at him, put him in time out, nothing changes his crappitude. But if she hollers for me, he straightens right up. I haven't figured out the science behind it, but it's like that for lots of families.

If I run to the store or down to my parents, for example, and it's just them two, she's texting me within 30 minutes about how frustrated she is, but when it's just me and him, he sits right beside me and watches whatever 80's movie I'm watching or he plays quietly with his cars.

I can remember being the same way when I was young because I knew mom would forgive me the second I said something sweet to her. With dad, he was the easiest going parent ever and my best friend so it hurt my feelings when he got mad at me. Maybe that's the science, I don't know.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Wow have views changed quick! Funny how actually having to do it changes peoples perception.
Now it is sooo hard, so impossible?

news.yahoo.com...

And more than half of parents will be taking on this second, unpaid job at the same time they’re holding down paid work.
Thirteen percent of parents have considered quitting their jobs. The same share has considered moving to be closer to family who could help, or moving to a different district or enrolling in private school because of reopening plans.

I've done physical labor, I've worked retail, I've worked the corporate ladder, I've worked high stress regulated jobs,
NONE compared to being a stay at home mom. I was always dismayed at how people turned their noses down at stay at home moms & dads.
The phrase I hated the most "oh, so you don't work?" It was so insulting.
I doubt we'll hear that anytime soon!

It also appears gardening and sewing isn't as easy as it looks either! ha

Sorry, staying at home isn't that difficult.

However, trying to stay home and take care of kids, oversee schooling.... while ALSO working a full time corporate job is what is tough and driving people to consider quitting.

Both my wife and I have high paid jobs. We both can easily work 60 hours a week during normal times. Now we have a 6 and 3 year old at home while we are trying to work. They need constant supervision. It is nearly impossible to keep an eye on them and also help them with remote learning while also trying to be somewhat productive during a normal work day.

I'd love to be able to say F'it and just deal with my kid all day versus working. So would my wife. The problem is bills don't stop just because something is inconvenient.

Plenty of discussion in my town with parent considering moving, changing enrollment to private schools, etc mainly because our local schools are goning to be doing remote learning. It is fine if you have a kid who is mature enough to be self-directed. However, for those of us with younger kids, it is unrealistic that the school system thinks parents are just automatically going to be able to carve out 3 -5 hours a day to oversee remote learning on Zoom or whatever and also continue working.
edit on 19-8-2020 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Back in the day I summer temp with a roofing company in Chicago and coating yourself in Vaseline and wearing long sleeved shirts and jeans so you don't get tar pitch burns sucked, longest summer ever, never again.

Blegh, I couldn't imagine. When I fracked in the oilfield, it would get up to 135 between the huge radiators of the pumps when we were running wide open and that was still more tolerable than being on a roof. It was so hot the heat would instantly take your breath away. The worst part about that was when I'd have to drive that 65 ton $1.8 million dollar pump back with the cold air blowing on me. Sleeeeeeeeepy doesn't begin to describe the feeling.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Well, it's not a job title like a lot of people use it for. A job is a paid position of regular employment and when someone refers to working, they're referring to the job you go to everyday. Taking care of our kids is our responsibility. I often feel guilty that I drop my son off at daycare everyday so my wife and I can work our jobs, but I use a woman who was a good friend in high school and owns one of the best daycares around here, plus he loves it there. If my wife wanted to stay home to take care of him, I would let her in a heartbeat, but never in a million years would she say she was a stay at home mom. She would say she doesn't work, she stays home with our son.

Everyone is entitled to their preference, but there's no need in getting offended when someone says you don't work. Anyone with a kid (who loves their kid(s) knows it's a task caring for a child.

But WHY? Why is it called work if a stranger takes care of your kids and they get SS and it is not work when your Wife does it and a better job of it?
Maybe if they didn't hear like my Wife did constantly the derogatory tone "Oh You Done't Work" Maybe if it was included as being considered a full time job by society more people would proudly care for their kids instead of letting perverts take their kids all day.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join