It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COVID-19 first appeared in a group of Chinese miners in 2012, scientists say

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 05:05 AM
link   
COVID-19.228 first dicovered in Chinese miners working deep underground in 2012

Wow!

If true, this certainly changes the timeline wrt COVID-19.228 - by over 4 years!

I wonder what else it may change regarding our understanding of exactly where this disease came from, and why it developed first in bats, etc.

Any ideas folks?

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

Wouldn't that make it COVID-12?

I don't think this is true.

The 19 isn't representative of how many times it mutated, it's representative of the year it was discovered, strictly for classification purposes.

C'mon man!

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

The 19 isn't representative of how many times it mutated, it's representative of the year it was discovered, strictly for classification purposes.

C'mon man!

But , they are both known as SARS-2

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 05:50 AM
link   
for the masters thesis summary along with loads of links to the relevant studies/papers referenced

www.independentsciencenew... s.org/commentaries/a-proposed-origin-for-sars-cov-2-and-the-covid-19-pandemic/

These findings of the thesis are significant in several ways.

First, in the light of the current coronavirus pandemic it is evident the miners’ symptoms very closely resemble those of COVID-19 (Huang et al, 2020; Tay et al., 2020; M. Zhou et al., 2020). Anyone presenting with them today would immediately be assumed to have COVID-19. Likewise, many of the treatments given to the miners have become standard for COVID-19 (Tay et al., 2020).

Second, the remote meeting with Zhong Nanshan is significant. It implies that the illnesses of the six miners were of high concern and, second, that a SARS-like coronavirus was considered a likely cause.

Third, the abstract, the conclusions, and the general inferences to be made from the Master’s thesis contradict Zheng-li Shi’s assertion that the miners died from a fungal infection. Fungal infection as a potential primary cause was raised but largely discarded.

Fourth, if a SARS-like coronavirus was the source of their illness the implication is that it could directly infect human cells. This would be unusual for a bat coronavirus (Ge et al., 2013). People do sometimes get ill from bat faeces but the standard explanation is histoplasmosis, a fungal infection and not a virus (McKinsey and McKinsey, 2011; Pan et al., 2013).

Fifth, the sampling by the Shi lab found that bat coronaviruses were unusually abundant in the mine (Ge at al., 2016). Among their findings were two betacoronaviruses, one of which was RaTG13 (then known as BtCoV/4991). In the coronavirus world betacoronaviruses are special in that both SARS and MERS, the most deadly of all coronaviruses, are both betacoronaviruses. Thus they are considered to have special pandemic potential, as the concluding sentence of the Shi lab publication which found RaTG13 implied: “special attention should particularly be paid to these lineages of coronaviruses” (Ge at al., 2016). In fact, the Shi and other labs have for years been predicting that bat betacoronaviruses like RaTG13 would go pandemic; so to find RaTG13 where the miners fell ill was a scenario in perfect alignment with their expectations.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

As it wasn't officially discovered in 2012 COVID-19 is its name regardless of if it existed earlier.

The coronavirus may not have originated at a Wuhan wet market last year but 1,000 miles away in 2012 — deep in a Chinese mineshaft where workers came down with a mysterious, pneumonia-like illness after being exposed to bats.

Virologist Jonathan Latham and molecular biologist Allison Wilson, both of the non-profit Bioscience Resource Project in Ithaca, arrived at their finding after translating a 66-page master’s thesis from the Chinese medical doctor who treated the miners and sent their tissue samples to the Wuhan Institute of Virology for testing.

“The evidence it contains has led us to reconsider everything we thought we knew about the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic,” Latham and Wilson wrote in an article published July 15 on their website, “Independent Science News.”

Latham told The Post that the coronavirus “almost certainly escaped” from the Wuhan lab.
nypost.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Metagenomic analysis of viruses from bat fecal samples reveals many novel viruses in insectivorous bats in China

SARS-like coronaviruses (SL-CoVs) found in bats share an identical genome organization and high sequence identity for most of their gene products. In this study, ORF3b homologues were identified from three bat SL-CoV strains...

This study provides the first preliminary understanding of the virome of some bat populations in China, which may guide the discovery and isolation of novel viruses in the future.

This is one of the papers from Zhengli Shi, the Bat Lady, from 2012. I have come across reports before that miners where getting sick in a specific location and investigations took place. On the surface there does appear to be some similarities between the strains discovered in these caves and what we know of SARS-CoV2.

I have not seen any data saying these strains are an exact match. If this was the same virus, then why did it not spread like Covid-19 has?

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 06:05 AM
link   

C'mon man!

Yes! You're absolutely correct! Thanks!

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

C'mon man!

Hence sars-cov and sars-cov2?

They don't typically name the first one 1, it's a sars virus, the second one of this corona family of viruses.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

As it wasn't officially discovered in 2012 COVID-19 is its name regardless of if it existed earlier.

From a naming convention standpoint, I agree with you 100%.

And I still like my proposal to append the # of days since official discovery (now generally agreed to be Dec 31, 2019) to the end of it - thus today is COVID-19.228.

But, I may be biased...

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Let's put it this way,

If COVID HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE 2012 YOU GOT SOME SPLAININ TO DO LUCY
edit on 16-8-2020 by Vector99 because: Ricky Ricardo voice

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

Well that's because they hadn't tinkered with it yet to make it more contagious and dangerous. I simply don't trust bill gates or the Chinese government. The thing is that when they had their convention a year ago or so they outlined what would happen and how. Something is fishy and I don't believe a word of what any of them say.

I know a few people who have had it and only one of them had any effects other than mild fever and slight cough. He cannot smell anything anymore that has been with him for 4 months now.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I put all this in my 21 Century Pandemic Timeline thread. That fell flat shortly after I made it.

Link

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
I put all this in my 21 Century Pandemic Timeline thread. That fell flat shortly after I made it.

Link

I appreciate it, I'll scan your thread in the morning

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Thanks for the look see. The time line goes back 2002, that's more like when all this stated.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

No. SARS-Cov-2 is the virus.

COVID-19 is the disease some people get from exposure to SARS-Cov-2.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
then why did it not spread like Covid-19 has?

Possibly has something to do with that biofacility nearby Wuhan? 7 years is enough time to play.
edit on 16/8/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Gawd Dammed bats, make them wear masks or #nukethebats2020

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

Thanks for the look see. The time line goes back 2002, that's more like when all this stated.

I went and read your thread after seeing your post.

Top-notch OP!

Thanks for putting it together.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Sure,

Then they brought it to a bio lab and inserted "gain of function" additions and then let it get out.

Screw China... idiots.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Article says that this is circulating underground with
Scientists and they may be hesitant to talk publicly about it
due to the COVID 19 issue and how it has been so politicized.

Sad that would be the case, but it is. I guess some folks agenda
is just more important than science, eh?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join