It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Attorney General Moves To Dissolve The NRA After Fraud Investigation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   

The Attorney General of New York took action today to dissolve the National Rifle Association, following an 18-month investigation that found evidence the powerful gun rights group is "fraught with fraud and abuse."

Attorney General Letitia James claims in a lawsuit filed Thursday that she found financial misconduct in the millions of dollars, and that it contributed to a loss of more than $64 million over a three year period.

The suit alleges that top NRA executives misused charitable funds for personal gain, awarded contracts to friends and family members, and provided contracts to former employees to ensure loyalty.

Source

Well this should be interesting. As the NRA is registered in New York the AG technically has the authority to do this. Obviously the NRA will dispute the move and this will probably end up in court.

With that out of the way I'm wondering what ATS' opinion on this is. I know we have a lot of NRA supporters here. If it could be shown that the NRA was responsible for millions of dollars of fraud, essentially meaning they stole from their dues paying members, would you support their dissolution? If not, what should their punishment be?

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

The Attorney General of New York took action today to dissolve the National Rifle Association, following an 18-month investigation that found evidence the powerful gun rights group is "fraught with fraud and abuse."

Attorney General Letitia James claims in a lawsuit filed Thursday that she found financial misconduct in the millions of dollars, and that it contributed to a loss of more than $64 million over a three year period.

The suit alleges that top NRA executives misused charitable funds for personal gain, awarded contracts to friends and family members, and provided contracts to former employees to ensure loyalty.

Source

Well this should be interesting. As the NRA is registered in New York the AG technically has the authority to do this. Obviously the NRA will dispute the move and this will probably end up in court.

With that out of the way I'm wondering what ATS' opinion on this is. I know we have a lot of NRA supporters here. If it could be shown that the NRA was responsible for millions of dollars of fraud, essentially meaning they stole from their dues paying members, would you support their dissolution? If not, what should their punishment be?

Replace NRA with DNC
all accusations apply equally

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   

With that out of the way I'm wondering what ATS' opinion on this is.

A good deal of people here who are Second Amendment advocates also know the NRA is a corrupt organization that only cares about using member's dues to lobby for the benefit of firearms manufacturers.

Lapierre is a piece of garbage and should end up in prison if these gross malfeasances are true which I suspect they are.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I just watched her press conference. They're really throwing the book at these guys!

It's about time!

link   
I think someone thought we needed a bigger mob on the street protesting and raising heck?
Maybe not, but that is probably gonna be the result.

link   

I wish the attorney general well with her upcoming battle.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Only if it was proven by a real AG, not some activist democrat. All Dems are illegitimate IMO

FYI it's very easy to incorporate in another State, but let's face it this is going to the SCOTUS and we all know where that will end.

NRA has ensured most fun rights were upheld, although they've done. A very poor job on suppressors, automatics, etc

It is the separate entity NRA ILA that all ops and assets can be instantly moved to
edit on 8/6/2020 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I don't know much about the NRA, I know about as much about their group as any other political group...

But I can say, killing the legal existence if something doesn't stop the actual group.

Is hells Angels a registered thing?
The various gangs in Chicago?

Disband the NRA if you must, but the members won't stop supporting the idea.

Once the government is working a against the people who feed it, the government will get hungry in a hurry.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: acackohfcc

Source

Replace NRA with DNC
all accusations apply equally

WHO - UN - CONGRESS Too.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

but let's face it this is going to the SCOTUS and we all know where that will end.

How so? What constitutional rights are they going to claim have been violated by the AG?

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Surely this isn't a bad thing.

No-one is coming after your guns or advocating any changes to The Second Amendment.

Its about alleged corruption and syphoning off of funds as far as I can tell.
If true then surely those responsible deserve prosecuting and being dealt with in accordance with US Law, don't they?

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   
NRA are a rites group, they go another will spring up and do the same
Not really a big issue for the members evidently

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Trump's reaction ... they should move to Texas ....

@3.15

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Are we talking about Congress or the NRA?

Wrought with fraud and abuse..

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Pretty much my thoughts. I know there's other groups out there that are actually pro-gun owner/2A and not just a mouthpiece for manufacturers that would be more than happy to step in and take the NRA's place.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: JBurns

but let's face it this is going to the SCOTUS and we all know where that will end.

How so? What constitutional rights are they going to claim have been violated by the AG?

There is a potential dog in the fight here, I renewed for another
year yesterday.

I'm saying dissolution of the NRA for fraud is like dissolvng just
another government for corruption. I and a lot of fellow members
are firearm owners/ reasonably straight arrows. When an organization
goes bad it's usually at or near the top... this could be some fallout
from the NRA actually being another gatekeeper or safety valve
for the government to control. That's only an opinion.

r/
But if LaPierre or his clique are going out after a discount member-
ship drive to buy 'spensive Scotch, crack and professional harlots
without running at least a little sweepstake for a smokescreen,
I'd feel a little CHEATED.
Just the same if the shepherds have fangs, let's hit the oral surgeon.
But don't throw the Browning away with the moldy ammo.
PS Besides, I think the NRA may have a home plate for its charter
other than NY, but I'm sure of nothing like that. Please somebody
cite jurisdiction for both the AG and Ytruly. /r
edit on 6-8-2020 by derfreebie because: That's only an opioid typo. More Starbucks QQUICK

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

If it was that easy to do, why didn't Trump do that with the Trump Foundation when similar allegations were brought against it? Instead it was dissolved.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
No Yankee doodle dandy is gonna decide on my behalf who can and who can't rip me off. 😂

Seriously though , it's about time; the NRA is more corrupt than music downloaded from Limewire .

link   

The SDNY has been weaponized to go after conservative interests.

Just like Obama weaponized the interlligence departments and IRS to attack conservatives.

link   
a reply to: gortex

Trump's response is politically driven, quite predictably, but I think it's fair to point out that the law suit and investigation into the NRA is to a certain extent also politically motivated.

As with most things it's not entirely black and white, far from it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join