It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transparency On The Future of ATS

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Why are we falling then, what’s led to us being essentially de-platformed as you put it

Progressive cancel culture.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

It is a real shame, especially since I always felt ATS did a good job at keeping the real offensive stuff off the site. Not sure why someone's opinion is such a threat to these people, not that things wouldn't occasionally get heated and go a little overboard, nothing was ever too out of hand

I've read far worse on other sites

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Advertisers are deplatforming anyone that allows comments on their site

Surly it can’t be all sites that have a comments section?

Let me ask a blunt question.

Are we losing advertisers because of the toxic political debate?

Not looking for a debate just some understanding

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I would have to assume that is true & accurate my friend

Lets face it, a lot of us were jerks to one another over political issues and now it seems the declining pool of advertisers willing to get embroiled in even a potential situation seems to have dwindled to non existent levels

My understanding is that even news sites that have comments sections had to either remove them or lose advertisers all together. Even ones moderated
edit on 6/19/2020 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Ron Paul has been warning people for many years of the power of the Corporatocracy/Plutocracy; this seems to be a prime example. Corporations saying you don't have 1st amendment rights that American democracy and the constitutional republic gave you.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Perhaps you should read what the 1st Amendment actually says.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Might want to streamline or divide the boards.
Have things like aliens, cryptozoology, paranormal, etc etc on one board, and then put all things political on a different board at a different address.
Watch which one the ads and revenue (even google ads) allow and flock to, and which one sinks under hyperbole weight.

Hell, I came here for the aliens. the political stuff in the meantime got me sucked in for years to simply bicker without any real growth..it is also the reason my visits to the site has become less and less over the years as it became little more than endless talking points I could watch any day of the week on fox news

So...yeah, the idea may be hard considering politics tends to go hand in hand with most other conspiracys, but its worth a try...tbh, I bet you can mark the date of the major downturn when you added in the mud pit...that attracts a certain type of mindset, and sends away other mindsets. Let them dwell on the chans and reddit imo

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Can't click the ol' flag on this one. It just doesn't seem right.

I've had my share of "gripes" about ATS over the years, but I also found an increasing appreciation for it as I've reflected on what I've learned from the fam and all the entertainment I've enjoyed.

My biggest gripe in years past was the perception that free speech was sometimes stifled. Though I still feel that was sometimes true, it's actually turned out to be one of the last bastions in many regards and relatively speaking as we ponder the growing censorship that's infecting societal discourse.

I'm grateful--in a meaningful way--for ATS. It has "grown" me in more ways than one. Thank you to all who made it possible---behind the scenes and on the boards.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   
What a lot of members aren't seeing with their sudden rally cry and countless threads of how to save ATS is that the owners saw this coming for awhile and chose to only tell us at the point of imminent closure.

The owners are done with this place. Sell or close they want to cut ties

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   

And I would say not even the politics. Some people can no longer handle a differing opinion. The topic can be what a picture of a rock looks like. Or that a dismissive tone was a grand assault on their personage. Yet they remain capable of recognizing as reacting to a joke in a proper manner.

People are strange. And I have been a people watcher long, long before there was an ATS let alone made staff.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   
ATS has been my favorite site since I stumbled upon it WAAAY back in the day. It is a travesty to think it could all disappear. There is no other place like it anywhere...

****I absolutely would pay a monthly fee to help the site.**** I would think many members would feel the same way, especially if those in charge now remain so. I hope they might consider this option, and I hope all who know the true value of this site would too

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Chronic_Blaze

To meet the 25k a year ATS would need 2500 subs at $10 per month...

So far this thread only has 810 replies with lots of members posting more than once

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Surly it can’t be all sites that have a comments section?

Let me ask a blunt question.

Are we losing advertisers because of the toxic political debate?

Not looking for a debate just some understanding

Reddit has zero trouble with advertisement, so its not "just because comments".

Plenty of people wanting to use someone else's platform to preach hateful rhetoric under the guise of free speech while simultaneously expect to be shielded from the consequences.

Its unfortunate now someone else (ATS) now has to deal with those consequences.

Refer to this thread:

[ATS

I think even sceptic authored a similar thread at some point (or maybe Springer).

Everyone saw what ATS was turning into, but no one acted.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

They have ran the site for almost 20 years and poured their heart and soul into the place. Everyone moves on eventually and its hard to tell what they have going on in their own life

I find it hard to lay blame on them when a lot of the developments have only come recently (the federalist, for instance)

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

And I would say not even the politics. Some people can no longer handle a differing opinion. The topic can be what a picture of a rock looks like. Or that a dismissive tone was a grand assault on their personage. Yet they remain capable of recognizing as reacting to a joke in a proper manner.

People are strange. And I have been a people watcher long, long before there was an ATS let alone made staff.

So true, unfortunately

Theres now this seemingly-prevailing idea that every dissenting opinion needs to be crushed, erased or totally obliterated instead of refuted with facts and persuasive arguments

People are indeed strange!!!

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Please consider THIS solution:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   

My understanding is that even news sites that have comments sections had to either remove them or lose advertisers all together. Even ones moderated

The primary reason for this is the tag team efforts
of organizations such as CCD in the UK - for those
who might not be familiar (Center for Countering
Digital Hate) and Center For American Progress.

CCD UK worked with NBC to pressure Google to
deplatform Zero Hedge and The Federalist.

It is not just political topics about politicians,
while that is a big offender; the list includes
Global Warming, Covid, etc.

The bottom line is anyone who has a web
presence that speaks out against the accepted
narrative on Global Warming, Covid, Open Borders
etc will be deplatformed eventually.

edit on 19-6-2020 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Chronic_Blaze

I don't think SO is considering that from what I read, his recommendation is a group of members joining forces to purchase the place and keep it going

I wanted to see if donating or subscribing would be an option as well, I would've bought a dozen subscriptions and regular donations but there is just no time to implement it

But if you have the spare funds and inclination, a group of us are presently working to pool resources, form a LLC or S Corporation and make an appropriate offer and obviously anyone who wants in on that is free to do so

I am currently selling off whatever assets I can to raise funds. Even selling some of my beloved guns, although a few are NFA weapons and will take considerably longer to sell

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: burntheships

Its such a shame to see financial backers going along with this, especially since those super rich corporations and individuals would be the hardest hit by those interests

I personally have no doubt ATS has a crucial role to play in the coming times, when objectivity and questioning the narrative is clearly the most important aspect of any current event/news/other happening

I think our best days are not behind us at all, just one man's opinion of course. But its going to take a lot more than that to save this place

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I would pay

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join