It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming Is Causing The Himalayan Glaciers To Melt. (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) is reporting that glaciers in the Himalaya Mountains are melting quickly and are warning this could lead to a major water crisis in Asia. The Himalayan Glaciers are the greatest concentration of ice aside from the North and South poles. The ice is melting at an average rate of 10 to 15 meters per year.

www.abc.net.au
"The rapid melting of Himalayan glaciers will first increase the volume of water in rivers, causing widespread flooding," Jennifer Morgan, director of the WWF's Global Climate Change Program, said.

"But in a few decades this situation will change and the water level in rivers will decline, meaning massive economic and environmental problems for people in western China, Nepal and northern India."

Himalayan glaciers feed into seven of Asia's greatest rivers - the Ganges, Indus, Brahmaputra, Salween, Mekong, Yangtze and Yellow rivers -ensuring a year-round water supply to hundreds of millions of people in the Indian subcontinent and China.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If the rate of global warming isn't reduced, China and other South Asia countries could be looking at an economic and development catastrophe. Hundreds of millions of people are dependent on this ice for fresh drinking water.

First the rivers will flood from the increased melting then the rivers volume will decline leavening these people with out a source of drinking water.

It looks as if South Asia is not ye finished from taking a beating from Mother Earth. Hopefully Global warming can be reduced so the people there will not need to suffer more loss of life.

Related News Links:
msnbc.msn.com

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

The report indicates glaciers [...]are now receding at an average rate of 10 to 15 metres per year.

What is the normal receding rate and what is the historical receding rate?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I had thought it took at least 10 votes for a story to be moved up or down.

Edit: This was moved because it was a duplicate story.

originaly posted by Nygdan
What is the normal receding rate and what is the historical receding rate?

Lets find out. I was only reporting from the link I posted.

[edit on 14/3/2005 by Umbrax]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
This is what I've found so far. The information is from 1998

The glaciers in the southeastern region are subject to ablation at a rate of 3-6m/yr. which is smaller in the western arid region.

www.mtnforum.org...

top topics

join