It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italian Study Finds INCREDIBLE Prophylaxis Results for Patients on Hydroxychloroquine

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

From April 28th.

Not really a study, but intriguing. A regional breakdown might be something to look at in regard to it.

There's also mention of another study in the article.

For now, in support of this "prophylaxis" effect, there is a recent publication, involving 211 people. It was published in the International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, the official body of the International Society of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. Of 211 people exposed to Covid19 positive individuals and subjected to prophylaxis with hydroxychloroquine, none were infected.

I'm trying to find that study.

Man in charge of SIR, says the 65,000 account is fiction,
Kyle Kolaja,
May 1st, I emailed SIR, they have 150 patients and 20 took Hydroxycloroquine ....
twitter.com...

May 4th,
Derek Lowe,
"Thinking about that disease course question, some people have (very vocally) suggested that HCQ be given prophylactically, and a study testing this is underway in the UK. We have, though, a possible source of data already, that is, the many RA and lupus patients who have already been taking the drug. One of the features of my emails has been a reference to this report in the Italian press (near the end of the article) that the Italian Rheumatological Society (SIR) has been collecting data on just this question from 1,200 physicians there. The article says that there are 65,000 patients in Italy taking HCQ chronically and that only 20 of them have tested positive for the virus. Now, you’d want to compare that to RA and lupus patients who were not taking HCQ, but it would still be quite interesting. If it were true.

But I can’t see where that figure comes from. That one Italian press report is the source that everyone else refers back to. And when I look at the SIR itself, I find that it is part of the COVID-19 Global Rheumatology Alliance"

"Update: here’s the answer. The number is completely fictional. As mentioned here in the comments, the president of the Italian Rheumatology Society was contacted directly and states that this number is completely wrong, that the society is monitoring 150 patients in its registry, 20 of whom are taking hydroxychloroquine. The 65,000 number is bogus."

blogs.sciencemag.org...

edit on 20-5-2020 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Fallacies abound.

But I also noted i couldn't speak for the veracity of the woman's claim in the article.

So, just a counter point.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Well that's disappointing. Perhaps that's why the claim never went anywhere.

Literally incredible, then.
edit on 5/20/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: DBCowboy

Those of us who have been to Africa (for whatever reason) and had to take a regiment of hydroxychloroquine afterwards.

None, that we are aware of, have gotten ill from this Covid crap.

How many people is that?

I can't speak to the veracity of this, but:

Woman with lupus took hydroxychloroquine for 19 years, still got COVID-19

She said by mid-April though, she started feeling coronavirus symptoms.

"Weak all over. Coughing, fever. The fever was very high," Kim said. "It just went downhill from there. I couldn't breathe no more."

Kim said her primary doctor prescribed antibiotics, but her conditions worsened.

She said when she went to an urgent care days later, nurses said her oxygen saturation levels were at 78 percent, when they need to be at 95 percent or higher.

Ok, nobody is saying it’s impossible to get it when on hcq - the article says 20 out of 65k got it.

Why does this kind of a story speak to you, but people who say hcq saved their lives are dismissed as wrong.

Neither should mean much to anyone. Do you really not get that?

But if 65,000 on hcq were 90 percent less likely to get it, that should not be ignored.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo

the article says 20 out of 65k got it.
And the article is wrong. Turns out the claim about 65,000 is incorrect. By quite a lot.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 07:56 PM
link   

a reply to: smurfy

Well that's disappointing. Perhaps that's why the claim never went anywhere.

Literally incredible, then.

Well,
It did end up here eventually, and seemingly even more a negative at this time.

Er, could you not give Trump a ride....in your big rocket!

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Yes but what were her zinc levels.? If low she could still get the bug.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I agree and do not advocate anyone go out and buy it on the street. However it should be at least considered in a controlled study and not dismissed simply because Trump mentioned it early during the outbreak. Nor should we jump the shark and start taking it because Trump is. But many drugs receive fast track approval for off label use in controlled studies.

I was clear in my comments that just because I did not know of someone who was provided the drug as a malaria preventative that it didn’t mean that their were not cases of people who did suffer adverse reactions, I imagine there were more than one who did but I didn’t know of any, and military Doctors were comfortable enough to approve its use without individual visits but instead simple questionnaires.

I know I am verbose and most do not read lengthy post, but in no way do I advocate for wide spread use nor do I claim it as a miracle drug. I simply ask it not be dismissed as a potential aid during this crisis just because Trump brought it to the forefront. It’s lengthy safety record and wide spread use for many years should be a green light for a large controlled study perhaps fast tracked, but not simply passed out like candy

I can only surmise that the lengthy safety record of the drug played a part in their administration of it. They do know of specific conditions and problems where their would be a danger in its use, but those ailments or preconditions likely resulted in a non deployable status for those military members anyway and of course there was always accessible medical care even if not close supervision.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

However it should be at least considered in a controlled study
There are several ongoing studies. Controlled, randomized and blinded. Like they must be in order to have meaningful results.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo

Ok, nobody is saying it’s impossible to get it when on hcq

Many people are saying it could be, and that it's a verifiable prophylactic.

Even when it has not been clinically verified as such and the majority of the medical community recommends against taking it.

Studies take time, unlike anecdotes.
edit on 20-5-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I spent a lot of time in Honduras and took HCQ. I thoroughly enjoyed the realistic nightmares it causes.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I just listened to a DR out of Texas speaking about how she's treating covid patients in her office. She's been giving them an injection of antibiotics along with a RX for hydroxychloroquin and within 24 to 48 hours they were symptom free . Apparently, the doc was called after her patient(s) showed up to fill their prescription and the pharmacist wanted to know what condition they were treating with hydroxychloroquin . The Dr told him that was confidential between her and her patient. The pharmacist continued and told her that without a diagnosis he is not allowed to fill the prescription. So much for HIPPA. What a joke.
edit on 20-5-2020 by summer5 because: forgot to mention

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: summer5

What? No zinc?

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Something else which needs to be mentioned is Trump’s use of the anti malaria drug is most likely due to his travels abroad, most recently to India which does have a malaria problem. The drug is effective if taken for a period before travel and must be taken for a period after travel to a potential exposure area.

Most likely every President was on a prescribed regiment of the drug. Why the press who travels with the President and would also have been prescribed the same treatment was surprised by this is just another matter to ponder.
edit on 5/20/2020 by DJMSN because: Correction

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   

a reply to: summer5

What? No zinc?

No, no zinc that she mentioned.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Something else which needs to be mentioned is Trump’s use of the anti malaria drug is most likely due to his travels abroad, most recently to India which does have a malaria problem.

Do you have a shovel?

For the BS, I mean.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

How is it bs ? It is prescribed as a preventive medicine to prevent malaria. India does have a problem with malaria and the drug is recommended for travelers to areas that someone would be exposed. I know from my personal experience that you are prescribed to take it prior to your travel and for a period after your return.

The press pool that travels abroad would also be prescribed the medication as a preventive measure and could be required due to their close interactions with the President and staff. This means his use of the medicine has nothing to do with COVID-19.

Most travelers to India will need vaccinations for hepatitis A, typhoid fever, and polio, as well as medications for malaria prophylaxis and travelers' diarrhea. Other immunizations may be necessary depending upon the circumstances of the trip and the medical history of the traveler, as discussed below. Insect repellents are recommended, in conjunction with other measures to prevent mosquito bites. All travelers should visit either a travel health clinic or their personal physician 4-8 weeks before departure.

[/redplanet.travel...

I am aware of your TDS infliction, perhaps this drug could help you as well, but please consult a physician first
edit on 5/20/2020 by DJMSN because: Addition

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   

The press pool that travels abroad would also be prescribed the medication as a preventive measure and could be required due to their close interactions with the President and staff.

Malaria is parasitic disease transmitted by mosquitos, not between humans.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Trump was in India in February.

If he's just now taking it, three months later, your claim is BS.

Not to mention he never mentioned taking it because of his "travels abroad," which he hasn't done in months.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I am aware of that... but the press pool would still be at least advised to take the preventive medicine and you know it.
There is one form of malaria transmitted from monkies to humans and it can be passed thru organ transplants and blood transfusions.

My point is that Trump and the press pool are all most likely prescribed the drug but not because of Covid-19 and therefore should not be surprised by the fact the POTUS who travels to countries with malaria outbreaks is taking it. The press due to their close contact, meaning they travel to the same malaria prone areas would also take it as a malaria prevention drug

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join