It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why opening up won't work right now

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Me and my mother never went out before this anyway. I haven't been to a movie or restaurant in over 15 years.
Last music show i went to was 10 years ago. Never liked bars are clubs.

I've also been a live within your means kind of person all my life.
What I do like is that now my mother is starting to live that way.
She never lived within her means before this. She has been bankrupt and still has over 20k of debt.
And yet she still gets credit cards and wants to buy a new car every few years....

I see her changing a little now. Especially since a week ago when our local stores ran out of meats.
That really effected her and made her think.
Her buying choices have changed and she's getting into gardening.

edit on 24-4-2020 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I just wish people would quit painting the whole of the USA based on large metropolitan areas.

Many small towns are untouched by the virus. Thank goodness, the area I live in is waking up and beginning to go about business as usual. Not every business but I think at the first of May things will be mostly normal.

I went to the grocery, hardware store, recycle center today. It is a beautiful sunny day and it was nice seeing people out and about, in their yards and getting ready for spring.

There were three cases in this town. One person who came back from Ireland and infected two others and it's been over 2 weeks since diagnosis. I won't guarantee it but I'm sure they locked down the local nursing center right away but regardless, no illness there.

People are practicing social distancing in establishments so all is well.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

You must have “disposable” income. Must be nice.

If by "disposable income" you mean work hard and save as much as possible and not trying to live above our means then yes!

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

She can't go wrong getting into gardening!

Not only can gardening supplement your dinner table but it also lowers your blood pressure and helps improve your immune system. It's a win/win!

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I wouldn't want the government to keep everyone locked up, but you do raise an interesting point about a stigma attached to it. Let's look at my situation as an example; I travel for work 50% of the time and work from home 50% of the time, the travel has stopped and we're now working remotely 100% of the time. Every single aspect of my job can be performed remotely, and there are a not inconsiderable amount of people who can say the same thing. I have a compromised system, and my father has lung cancer that he's having a lobectomy to remove at the end of next month, where I will be his primary care-giver over his recovery period.

Now if everyone wants to open up now and take their chances with catching this because they're young/healthy/etc. that's fine by me, it doesn't change anything for myself or my father at this point. What it may do however is my job would then expect the same 50% travel arrangement as before, regardless of individual situations. Then what happens? Do people who are compromised in some fashion or have to care for those who are become a protected class under ADA? Or (and I imagine this is the likely scenario) are we just up a creek without a paddle? Obviously there is some sort of middle ground here, because keeping everyone cooped up as is does not allow for the population to hit herd immunity levels where it would be significantly less risky for those of us that are compromised in some fashion to go out in public.

I unfortunately have not heard any good ideas on this front.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

You are really saying something I think a lot of people are not wanting to admit.

And some of us have made wise decisions, spent and saved wisely, do have disposable income, and aren't worried about ourselves, but the many many people being harmed by these shutdowns.

They rather be angry at the wrong things...

We are angry for the right reasons and the best reasons.

...or comfortable for the wrong reason.

Indeed. That would be the self-serving and selfish cowards with a little disposable income (and a big ego) who think they can hide from Mother Nature (not to mention the Grim Reapear) by staying safe and protected at home, at the expense of others. And will use the barrel of a government gun into bullying others to do so.

It's Hood Robbin'... you know... Robin Hood backwards -- take from the poor to give to the rich.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
a reply to: JIMC5499

Maybe he doesn;t have that authority but on his calls with the governors he should have tried to get agreements from them to follow the guidelines. the guidelines are irrelavent if the govenors are not going to follow them. Like georgia is going to jump to phase 2. opening restuarants on monday.

Actually , for the most part , that was today.
The entire deal is over April 30th at 11:59 pm
Well , except for senior citizens.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Indeed. That would be the self-serving and selfish cowards with a little disposable income (and a big ego) who think they can hide from Mother Nature (not to mention the Grim Reapear) by staying safe and protected at home, at the expense of others. And will use the barrel of a government gun into bullying others to do so.

Let's take out that barrel of the government, because that is really what I was getting at in my OP.

Lets say tomorrow everything is open, all states, every single on of them.
I still work from home, make my choices. Half the people feel the same way as I do, for whatever reasons (justified or not) My hair stylist, my dog groomer, my dentist, etc. only get 40-60% of their normal customers, maybe worse. Many cannot survive on that.

That is what I'm trying to say. So who is selfish, me or those businesses? Isn't it my prerogative where I spend or save my own money, or are you now telling me I MUST 100% live & spend like I did pre-pandemic? Isn't this all about Freedom, you do you, I do me? Or isn't it?
edit on 24-4-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Given that most everything now is about managing perceptions, expectations, and fear levels.. Im inclined to agree, at least when it comes to the idea of just jumping back to "normal" overnight.

That means it needs to be handled much differently, and if the media (not just the news, mind) doesnt want any of this to stop.. That will be extraordinarily difficult to overcome.

I don't always agree with you, but often respect what you are saying.
More than anyone else you got exactly what I was saying.
Especially this part

That will be extraordinarily difficult to overcome.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   

No one is telling you that you have to go out though.

But why are you so busy telling the rest of us that we must stay in?

This isn't a binary choice. We aren't like a big school of fish where one goes and the rest must also go. If some of us want to go out, then they go out. If you want to stay in, then you stay in. But just because you want to stay in doesn't mean that those of us who want to be out need to feel bad for being there, either.

And if some business owners are going to open when they can, then it's not for you to tell them they can't. If a business chooses not to open, it's not for you to say they must.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   

No one is obligated to patronize any business. If you don't want to then don't.

But neither should anyone be obligated to shut their business for anyone else. If you don't want to patronize them, then don't.

There's nothing selfish about opening a business and conducting business with other consenting adults.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Opening back up will work well in most of fly over America. My home town has had about 200 cases total out of 470,000 people. We currently have 31 active cases. We are ready to get back to living. Existing is for cowards.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Half the people feel the same way as I do, for whatever reasons (justified or not) My hair stylist, my dog groomer, my dentist, etc. only get 40-60% of their normal customers, maybe worse. Many cannot survive on that.

For the bussinesses that are shut down right now 40-60% is a whole lot better then 0% right now.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I am day one for the barbershop though. I need it. haha.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Your Misinformed . This Virus Threat is a HOAX . Baaaaaa

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Occasionally, I try to put all my personal notions aside and look at things pragmatically. Im an oddball though, in more ways than one

The reality is that a lot of people are absolutely terrified. Warranted or not.. doesnt really matter.

I also believe the media has played a massive, massive role in this. Again, warranted or not.. doesnt matter in this context.

I think what does matter is that whatever avenue folks have been getting their information all along.. Will need to be the ones that "talk them down" at whatever point in time it is deemed appropriate.

Which brings us to two points of personal concern; the media (news, facebook, twitter.. motivated by ad revenue, viewership numbers, etc) will need to do that, since many individuals wont listen to anyone else. Will they? And secondly, can they?

I suppose we will find out.. But, it should give everyone a bit of pause when realizing the amount of social influence and presence such organizations have.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Our "awesome" governor extended our stay at home order until mid-May today. She did relax restrictions on a lot of things though. Lawncare, boating with a motor, greenhouses, buying paint, carpet, etc. are all opened up now. The only thing she did that I don't like is the mandated masks in stores. Why? I was at Meijer and Home Depot the other day and maybe 30% of people had masks or gloves on. We only had a couple dozen confirmed cases and I think two deaths in our area so people just aren't that worried about it here. To be honest I'm not either. I haven't been able to wear a mask without my glasses fogging up and can't see much without them. My wife is a school cook and has been prepping and handing out means since they cancelled school last month so she's been exposed to whatever is out there, and as such so have I.

It is what it is. I'm not going to be stupid about it but I'm also not going to be trapped in my home.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Over here in Illinois, masks in public are mandatory beginning May 1st.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

It's not personally a "good idea," but the basic fact is you either can meet the demands of your present job or you have to find a different job that meets your personal conditions. One of the two, either your demands or you present job's demands, have to give in that scenario.

That said, I do not expect this country to return fully to what was commonplace pre-COVID. I anticipate a lot of companies who primarily have office workers, engineers, tech support, etc will see the potential for a lot of overhead savings by going to a model in which a lot of workers (either in total or in split of time between working from home and actually being in their office) will not spend 40 hours a week in their previous workplace. I've seen a few companies talk about trimming their office spaces down by 1/2 to 2/3rds and utilizing shared office spaces, only with staggered days. Person A is in the space Monday and Thursday, Person B Tuesday and Friday, and Person C Wednesday, with the rest of all 3 employee's billable work being performed in their home office. (The diningroom table in my case...
)

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 06:09 PM
link   

SMALL businesses need to get smart. Combine forces, start websites, radio ads, offer as much information for opening up as possible.

Appointments pre-made for certain timeslots would eleviate crowding to a sensible degree and would provide the opportunity for vendors to clarify their restrictions, conditions, opening times etc.

This could offer a great chance to stay one step ahead of a possible stampede in the corporate and big stores and also offer SECURITY to those worried about infection and the initial bustle and free for all that in my opinion is going to be inevitable. It would actually be something to look forward to perhaps, and a reminder that shoppers are more than wallets and consumers.....people and customers.

Most importantly, it would remind pepole that life is not about cramming a trolley full to the brim as quickly and selfishly as possible while glaring as much space around them from fear.

Tradition shouldn't be something in the past, but something treasured.

Idealistic? You choose.

Own a restaurant...phone people and other small businesses within the area and organise a get together to make people FEEL welcome.

Own a small business?...phone a restaurant and organise a get together to eat and also have the opportunity to remind folks you exist.

Own a hairdressers?...phone a restaurant and ask for a table in the corner so you can cut people's hair and remind them of your salon.

etc etc etc.

Community should not die. It could be stronger than EVER because so many have missed it. Heck, ya might even make that old fashioned thing we had before mobile tellingphones....real friends you actually speak to face to face...with a smile...even if it's drawn on a mask. The eyes are where smiles really are anyway.

Or just trolly dash and run away to stare at screens for the rest of you lives.

Luv ya.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join