It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Morality of Snitching

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   

What’s your feelings on our new call to activism?

See something say something? Or see something say something, get something?

What motivates a snitch?

Is he/she responding to a ingrained high moral compass, or a carrot at the end of a stick.

What’s the difference between a mom calling the cops on the neighbors for not social distancing, verses a whistle blower at CNN calling out corruption inside the organization?

How many people turned a blind eye in the past to signs of child abuse or human trafficking. But now they are reporting left and right every social violation.

Do they truly care about humanity survival or just their own.

Is this just false altruistic behavior to compliment the narcissist lurking inside us.

“I’m doing my part”

What say you?

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   

edit on 1042020 by Snarl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist
Being censorious of neighbours is probably built into our make-up. My father had a habit of making private catch-phrases for his own amusement out of things he heard people say. One which I remember well was "It wants stopping", which he probably picked up from one of the village women. So there is a sort of background hostility to anything the neighbours might be doing differently, even before we get into the outright feuds. I don't think it needs the motivation of specific rewards.

edit on 10-4-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This all goes down the path of a social credit score, like what China is doing...

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   

They are cowards and bullies.

Nevertheless, I'm rather worried for these pearl clutchers and curtain twitchers... I know they're worried about Corona cooties, but I'm more concerned that they're going to give themselves a stroke!

I don't understand busybodies anyway. I'm far more interested in my own doings than anyone else's!!!

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea
I don't think the "censor the neighbours" reflex is limited to an age-group or a class.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   
They're loving it. It finally gives them validation to tattle on all the things they disapprove of their neighbors doing.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

It’s a curiosity for sure, but what’s motivation to go from observing an unfavorable behavior and telling you family about it, to picking up the phone and calling the cops to come arrest your neighbors?

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I don't think the "censor the neighbours" reflex is limited to an age-group or a class.

LOL! Well, I didn't even suggest age, so I'm not where that came from... but I'm actually liking the idea of "cowards and bullies" being it's own class!!!

And I guess "curtain twitchers and pearl clutchers" could also be a class. Just hadn't thought of it that way!

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I suggest that the degree of hosility towards neighbours is what determines whether they cross that line. In those circumstances, making the report is reward in itself.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
We have people who think that it is their job to go around and make sure that everybody is complying. My neighbor had the Police called because her kids were playing in their backyard. They were called on me because I was working at the table on my back porch. I have a small apartment, with a combination fridge and freezer. Normally with my work schedule, I eat breakfast and lunch at the cafeteria at work. Since I've been working from home, I've been going through more food. I don't have the ability to stock up. When you add in the restrictions on certain items, I'm shopping about every third day. Yesterday I had a woman threaten to call the Police because I didn't have a full cart. What are they going to do tomorrow when I cut grass and Sunday when I go fishing?

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well, since we would be the neighbors being "snitched" on, I'm glad we are out in the country, and know our neighbors well.

There is that one older couple down the road...
But since they have started buying eggs from me, they better not.

It's just stupid.
Don't be a snitch!

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Coffee shop in town wouldn't shut down. Said they were doing to go. Didn't last long 15 minute parking pretty much chased them away

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I don't know why people are confused by this. We have plenty of these types posting in here these days. They're busy moralizing about how if we don't comply with every little rule and do it instantly and without complaint, then it means we want thousands of people to die and that makes us horrible and heartless.

They likely never approved of their neighbors to begin with and now they're scared in the bargain.

I saw a comment on another forum that plenty of them are scared enough and dull enough that if it were announced somewhere tomorrow that they all had to load themselves up onto train cars for Plague Cleansing Centers where they'd be safe and cleared of infection, they'd all go do it and sneer at those rest of us for staying behind to die.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Misunderstanding, then. The reference to "having a stroke" made me think you were picturing an older person. I thought "pearls" implied comparative wealth, but maybe that asumption is out of date.

No, I suspect the censorious instinct is close to being universal, even if it is mostly at the "grunbling privately at home" level. I think my own neighbour does that a lot, but it takes a real push to shift him from verbal threats to action.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I don’t like to get involved in other people’s business, but I would ‘snitch’ if I knew of child abuse or domestic violence, but not if someone was minding their own business doing something that doesn’t hurt another person.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
And so it begins 1984

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

This is a bigger problem on the horizon.... as policy makers define what is essential and who is essential.

Will the snitch be made essential?

Im not to thrilled with the moral relativist on the left are pushing their ideas of good behavior and establishing rewards.

What sort of cocktail of whims and wishes from these politicians will make for new policies.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I guess the common picture is of the old ladies who stand there and tut-tut everything. We all know what they're like - that mental image, but you can apply it to anyone who engages in that style of behavior. These days, there are lots of them and they're mostly in the SW type set busy finger-pointing everyone's little moral indiscretions like bitter old witches.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join