It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumsfeld on Crack: US Gains World-Wide Respect From Wars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
This is why we call him a HAWK, but he is a HAWK on Crack no-less.

Respect is a thing to be won, not by war but by good deeds!
- 00PS

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld upheld the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan yesterday as powerful demonstrations of U.S. military prowess that will make other countries think twice about making "mischief" around the world.

Pressed by lawmakers on whether wear and tear on U.S. troops and equipment has impaired the Pentagon's ability to meet unforeseen global contingencies, Rumsfeld said U.S. commanders have assured him that "our military is capable of performing." Source - Friday, March 11th

Rumsfeld now equates Fear in the eyes of the world as Respect. He must think the whole world coward to even mock the USA.

That is why it is imperitive Americans stand up to this injustice and say that only by Mutual Respect can the world win the war on terror!

[edit on 12-3-2005 by 00PS]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00PS

- 00PS

You've got to GIVE respect to GET respect
Don't no try to disrespect. In no aspect.

the "concrete jungle rules".

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   

That is why it is imperitive Americans stand up to this injustice and say that only by Mutual Respect can the world win the war on terror!

The only problem with this idea
is that it just doesn't work.

Two sides can come together only if both sides are playing by the same rules. In this example - showing mutual respect.

Terrorist nations are incapable of showing respect to other nations (sure, add the USA if you're so inclined), and therefore it simply will not work. We all wish this was an ideal sugar-coated world where we all would skip through the tulips holding hands, but that isn't reality.

In the natural world (yes, that includes humans) fear, not respect, is what beings respond to. Fear of pain, fear of death, fear of discomfort, fear of God...etc, etc. Respect is nothing but an afterthought.

Relying on respect as a negotiating tactic with those hell-bent on your compete destruction is the ultimate fast-track to failure.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
You're twistng Rumsfelds words. You moved to China. Why don't you concern yourself with Chinese affairs? Your agenda is wearing so thin, it is transparent.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
You're twistng Rumsfelds words. You moved to China. Why don't you concern yourself with Chinese affairs? Your agenda is wearing so thin, it is transparent.

I'm not twisting his words. Read the whole article if you can. I'm not sure you know all the letters of the alphabet and where to put them in order. The only words that are twisted are yours. Check out how to spell twisting...It has an I...not like you though, your eyes must be going with your age.

Oh I moved to China. Where did you move to? Mmmm Smells like the ghetto. Which TV dinner you eating tonight homes?

Why don't I concern myself with your affairs. Since you bring us off topic lets look at your affairs, who cares about Chinese affairs?

Agenda, the only thing that is wearing thing is those briefs you got on. Those super duper toots you be pootin are stinky man.

Keep your thoughts to yourself, they embarass you.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Eyes of the "world" or eyes of the Middle East?

as posted by OOPS

Typical ad hock response, OOPS.

'Fear' and 'respect' go hand-in-hand in some to most Middle Eastern societies, OOPS. As referenced by your article:

...Donald H. Rumsfeld upheld the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan...

Terrorists use suicide attacks, car bombings, targeting innocent civilains, etc., as politcal 'fear' motivators. To 'fear' is to 'respect.' It is 'fear' and subserviance that has kept down many in the Middle East region.

Personally, matters not to me what the world thinks of what we are doing in the Middle East (Iraq, Syria, Iran, Afghansitan). The results speak for themselves:
Libya has given up its nuclear program.
Syria is withdrawing form Lebanon and will fully withdraw.
Israel and Palestine are at a cease-fire and talking.
Lebanon will hold democratic-styled elections in April.
Palestine held democratic-styled elections for an Arafat replacement.
Iraq held a democratic-styled elections.
Saudi Arabia is 'toying' with democratic-styled elections.
Egypt is 'toying' with them.

Now whether what we did in Iraq and Afghanistan was wrong, again, the results and side effects speak for themselves.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Seekerof, just one correction there mate. Lebanon has had democracy for quite some time now. Don't try to claim it as an American victory, as it is nothing of the sort.

As for the rest, I do agree that there has been a change in the ME as a result of US actions recently. But don't get too chuffed, those nations you have bullied into doing you bidding are weak and have no hope of fighting each other effectivley for any period of time, let alone the US.

Once Iran, North Korea etc start bowing down, then you can claim some clout, but at the the moment, they are defying you/us/the west with little fear or any signs of backing down.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I'm not twisting his words. Read the whole article if you can. I'm not sure you know all the letters of the alphabet and where to put them in order.

I'll put my education against yours on any day of the week and I can say the alphabet in virtually any order you can imagine, including backward. So, don't be a smartypants just because you can't deal with your life choices.

This is what Rumsfeld said:

He also pointed to positive outcomes from the sustained combat. The fighting has created a force of "battle-hardened veterans" whose overthrow of the Taliban government in Afghanistan and Saddam Hussein's government in Iraq erased doubts in the minds of the nation's friends and foes over U.S. willingness to use force and stay the course of conflicts, Rumsfeld said.

"The world has seen, in the last 3 1/2 years, the capability of the United States of America to go into Afghanistan . . . and with 20,000, 15,000 troops working with the Afghans do what 200,000 Soviets couldn't do in a decade. They've seen the United States and the coalition forces go into Iraq. . . . That has to have a deterrent effect on people," he testified before the House Armed Services Committee.

"If you put yourself in the shoes of a country that might decide they'd like to make mischief, they have a very recent, vivid example of the fact that the United States has the ability to deal with this," he said.

I think that's a very good assessment of the situation and a fair warning to those who think they can attack America and get away with it.

This is what I think is what you're all hot and bothered about:

Rumsfeld was asked about a potential military threat from China. He said this year's Quadrennial Defense Review -- a major rethinking of U.S. military strategy -- would plan long-range weapons systems "with respect to China and other circumstances that can change dramatically."

The defense review must "recognize the changes that are taking place in Asia and the kinds of capabilities that the United States could be facing in 10, 15, 20 years" in addition to today's threats, he said.

Edited to provide information from originator's link.

[edit on 05/3/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I can deal with my life choices just fine.

Let's not be at war with words, you a have been here longer than me

but can you please not bring up 'my life choices' as you call them every

time you come into my postings. It's not polite nor on track for the

conversation. Just checked the link, it still works.

And about putting your education against mine any day of the week..bring it on boyee...the debate are coming and I'll make you
eat your words...

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Your educated words could not discern between a rational mature discussion, and making circumstantial ad hominem remarks. You're not the only educated person on these boards, or did you forget that? One also wonders why you would bring it up in the first place, an educated mind can stay on topic and objectify discourse.

Oops did not twist Rumsfelds words, Oops simply added his own bias to fact; are you suggesting that the U.S. has not deployed the cliche, "might equals right," on a great deal number of occasions? I think his words are dictations of this sub-consciouss feeling the American Goverment has.

"If you put yourself in the shoes of a country that might decide they'd like to make mischief, they have a very recent, vivid example of the fact that the United States has the ability to deal with this," he said.

I'll forgo a neoplastic discussion in this egotistical atmosphere.

Deep

[edit on 12-3-2005 by ZeroDeep]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Syria is withdrawing form Lebanon and will fully withdraw.

Has nothing to do with the US. They have been slowly pulling out for years and have always said they will if asked.

Israel and Palestine are at a cease-fire and talking.

Again nothing to do with the US. You can thank Eygpt for the current talks and peace.

Again, the US had what to do with this exactley?

[edit on 12-3-2005 by Kriz_4]

[edit on 12-3-2005 by Kriz_4]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
Has nothing to do with the US. They have been slowly pulling out for years and have always said they will if asked.

Bull. I personally knew a couple of friends who are from Lebanon and they told me that Syria have never "slowly pulling out" its troops for years, as you so put it. You could have say rotating its troops slowly but pulling out slowly? Nope. This is the first time in nearly three decades that Syria is withdrawing its entire force to the Syrian-Lebanese border.

Originally posted by Kriz_4Again nothing to do with the US. You can thank Eygpt for the surrent talks and peace.

No, you're wrong. The Camp David Accord in 1979, the peace treaty between Israel and Egypt, laid the groundwork for American, Israeli and Egyptian participation in the peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians since then.

Originally posted by Kriz_4

Again, the US had what to do with this exactley?

Wow, you haven't really pay attention to the on-going American involvement in the Israel-Palestinians road map to peace since early 1990s! The only stumbling block to real peace between Israel and the Palestinians had been Yasser Arafat. Good thing he is dead and good riddance to him.

[edit on 3/12/2005 by the_oleneo]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If I have to explain you wouldn't understand. But remember when you were a kid and you smarted off to the kid you thought was below you or just didn't see things like you did. Can you then picture when he was pounding on your face on the ground and you realized that next time you should just keep quiet . That is kinda what Rummy is saying or maybe you could call it survival of the fitest. Either way we to will be the one getting our face pounded some day.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I never respected any of the bullies...

After graduation, when I was in college

I saw many of them and they were

ashamed to see my face because it

reminded them of their behaviour

and some even asked my apology.

I never got my face pounded in.

I was smarter and just kept silent.

Like many of America's friends or

enemies. Some day it will come back

and America will be ashamed.

If I had to explain you'd never understand.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

"The world has seen, in the last 3 1/2 years, the capability of the United States of America to go into Afghanistan . . . and with 20,000, 15,000 troops working with the Afghans do what 200,000 Soviets couldn't do in a decade. They've seen the United States and the coalition forces go into Iraq. . . . That has to have a deterrent effect on people," he testified before the House Armed Services Committee.

I think this si right on the money and by the turdblossom reaction to it we therefore know it was right!

hehe GO RUMMY!

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Just who/what are these "Turdblossoms" of which you speak Ed?

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I highly recommend some of you read all of the news rather than institute selective pro-US anti-ME nonsense.

March 11- Lebanon's president, emboldened by a massive pro- Syria demonstration, reinstated Omar Karami as prime minister yesterday, 10 days after the Damascus-backed leader stepped down under popular and international pressure.

The move ensured Syria's continued dominance in Lebanese politics. Syria's allies felt they have the momentum in the political crisis, and President Emile Lahoud's decision appeared to be, in part, political jockeying to show who sets the agenda as Syria's troop redeployment picked up.

www.nypost.com...
All the rallying round the red, white and blue is for naught. Both Lebanon and Syria played the US for a fool and now flaunt how well it worked.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I'm not twisting his words. Read the whole article if you can. I'm not sure you know all the letters of the alphabet and where to put them in order. The only words that are twisted are yours. Check out how to spell twisting...It has an I...not like you though, your eyes must be going with your age.

Oh I moved to China. Where did you move to? Mmmm Smells like the ghetto. Which TV dinner you eating tonight homes?

Agenda, the only thing that is wearing thing is those briefs you got on. Those super duper toots you be pootin are stinky man.

What do these insults and disrespectful statements bring to the conversation?

Perhaps we should notify the mods, as you are so fond of threatening to do.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   

- 00PS

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld upheld the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan yesterday as powerful demonstrations of U.S. military prowess that will make other countries think twice about making "mischief" around the world.
Source - Friday, March 11th

Rumsfeld now equates Fear in the eyes of the world as Respect. He must think the whole world coward to even mock the USA.

You are putting words in Rumsfield's mouth.

First, he never says that he demands "respect" from anyone.

Second, the "fear" will in fact help prevent terrorist organizations or countries supporting these terrorists from continuing down the wrong path. The Syria pullout of Lebanon, Syria handing over Iraqi insurgents that had gone unbothered in the last year, Libya coming clean on its weapons program, etc. These are all caused by fear in these countries.

Third. "mutual respect" with terrorists will not ever lead to a solution. Terrorists need to be exterminated from the planet completely. "Mutual Respect" between countries fighting the war on terror, that I can agree on. It is unfortunate that the U.S. has to take matters into its own hands when other countries choose not to get involved.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I agree, Somewhere.

Sure, Syria is scared to death of a fight with us, but they still don't want us controlling them. This is a prime example.

For all of you Rumsfeld supporters, answer this question. Why did Rumsfeld sell nuclear reactors to China? I thought we hated Commies!

And what about him saying that the WMD reason for the Iraq invasion is an urban legend?

I bet you also missed when he admitted that they shot down the plane that "crashed" on 9/11.

I have another question. If our military's so big and bad, why do we pick on countries who don't want none? Pakistan, North Korea, etc. are always talking about what they'll do to us, but no invasions here? Oh yeah, bullies don't want a fair fight...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join