It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tobacco Co Produces Potential Covid19 Vaccine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   

British American Tobacco (BTAFF) said Wednesday that its biotech subsidiary, Kentucky BioProcessing, is working on a potential vaccine for the novel coronavirus that can be produced in lab-grown plants closely related to tobacco.

www.cnn.com...

Apparently they have cloned a portion of Covid19's genetic sequence and produced an antigen which they will grow inside a tobacco plant and then extract it to be used as a vaccine.

They hope to produce 3 million vaccines a week starting as soon as June.

This same company managed to develop a treatment for Ebola back in 2014.

So it's true cigarettes save lives.

Interestingly it appears the World Health Organization has a regulation against working with Tobacco Companies.

This might be interesting considering the company says they will develop the vaccine pro bono but WHO might not want to work with them.
edit on 1-4-2020 by Identified because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Just send the tobacco here, I will smoke it instead of getting a shot.

Antigens are itsi bitsi things, but you would have to ditch the filter.
edit on 1-4-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 09:59 PM
link   
So the plus side is that a tobacco company has a crack team of top notch bio researchers that can deconstruct and create cures for viruses.

The negative side is that why does a tobacco company have a crack team of top notch bio researchers when all they "do" is harvest a plant and put it in a piece of paper.....

I'm glad they are working on it and all, but man....Good thing most people in the world can't put 2 and 2 together.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Pipe maybe?

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

"20 bucks on pump 2 and a pack of Covids please"

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ZapBrannigan3030

I think it's because for decades they have been working to produce pest free tobacco with a higher nicotine percentage. I'm sure they do quite a bit of genetic modifications.

They also need to keep the company afloat and if they find ways to use tobacco other than in a cigarette they will work pretty hard to do so. Capitalism and all.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Tobacco has been realized as a medicine for a very long time, it even can help to curb alzheimer and parkinson disease and can delay the onset of a few types of cancers. Some modern meds are based off of the chemistry of tobacco. But smoking over a pack a day is bad for you.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Then there is this article.

www.smithsonianmag.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Going buy some Skoal and spit this virus out.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Hint;
The smartest minds in the world don't work in Universities, they work in corporate R&D labs.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
Hint;
The smartest minds in the world don't work in Universities, they work in corporate R&D labs.

Aren't the smartest ones the ones who sip martinis by the pool and tell the R&D people what they want?

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:53 PM
link   

They hope to produce 3 million vaccines a week starting as soon as June.
Vaccines have to go through clinical trials. Haven't we learned that?

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

They are going through trials now but they say they are willing to make these vaccines now so they have them ready as soon as they are greenlighted to be used. It's a gamble, they say, if it turns out to not be approved but they are willing to take it.

Also, growing in plants apparently is much faster with less potential for contamination than growing in eggs like many vaccines are.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Animal testing. Not even Phase I.

Well, good, anyway.

I guess they need to generate revenue somehow. Agriculture is good. Smoking, probably not. But growing, sure.

edit on 4/1/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
Hint;

Aren't the smartest ones the ones who sip martinis by the pool and tell the R&D people what they want?

I did think that as I wrote it but you know what I mean.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Vaccines have to go through clinical trials. Haven't we learned that?

First post you've made in a while I actually agree with. The trial and approval process usually takes at least a few years though... do you really think anyone will wait that long? They will push it through in a few months and then anyone who refuses to take it will be attacked and ostracized, wouldn't surprise me if they even fined those people or locked them up, or forbid them from being in public.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Sounds great...thanks

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified
Interestingly it appears the World Health Organization has a regulation against working with Tobacco Companies.

Good thing those bureaucrats have nothing to do with us in the states. WHO is in bed with the Chinese anyway.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Everything has to go through a trial but the duration of any trial is subjective as there is no rule etched in stone as to the duration..Obama basically passed a law that big pharma cannot be sued if people die from using their vaccines...

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I think you all aught to read the OPS insert again. It said "a lab grown plant closely related to tobacco". Not tobacco. Could it be something beginning with M and ending with an A.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   

British American Tobacco (BAT)

BATS ??????

Now there's something to think about ???

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join