It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronavirus Australia: Queensland researchers find ‘cure’, want drug trial

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 07:58 AM
link   
We can only hope

I make no claims of credit for this story.

www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-queensland-researchers-find-cure-want-drug-trial/news-story/93e7656da0cff4fc4d2 c5e51706accb5

(sorry for the link in this format. If I put the "https://" at the start of the link, it will only send you to an error message page)

news.com.au

I have put the full story as link is playing up then story disappeared. STORY IS TO IMPORTANT TO HIDE OR LOOSE

Please don't flag my effort. I am not flag baiting.

A team of Australian researchers say they’ve found a cure for the novel coronavirus and hope to have patients enrolled in a nationwide trial by the end of the month.
University of Queensland Centre for Clinical Research director Professor David Paterson told news.com.au today they have seen two drugs used to treat other conditions wipe out the virus in test tubes.
He said one of the medications, given to some of the first people to test positive for COVID-19 in Australia, had already resulted in “disappearance of the virus” and complete recovery from the infection.
Prof Paterson, who is also an infectious disease physician at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, said it wasn’t a stretch to label the drugs “a treatment or a cure”.
“It’s a potentially effective treatment,” he said.
“Patients would end up with no viable coronavirus in their system at all after the end of therapy.”
The drugs are both already registered and available in Australia.
“What we want to do at the moment is a large clinical trial across Australia, looking at 50 hospitals, and what we’re going to compare is one drug, versus another drug, versus the combination of the two drugs,” Prof Paterson said.
Given their history, researchers have a “long experience of them being very well tolerated” and there are no unexpected side effects.

[...]

Prof Paterson said positive experiences in the fight against coronavirus have already been recorded overseas, citing China and Singapore. His research team are confident they can start getting the drugs to patients in a very safe way on home soil.
“We want to give Australians the absolute best treatment rather than just someone’s guesses or someone’s anecdotal experiences from a few people,” Prof Paterson told news.com.au.
He said they hope to be enrolling patients by the end of March.
[...]

edit on 16-3-2020 by acrux because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Mar 16 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

edit on Mon Mar 16 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: acrux
We can only hope

I make no claims of credit for this story.

www.news.com.au... ff4fc4d2c5e51706accb5

A team of Australian researchers say they’ve found a cure for the novel coronavirus and hope to have patients enrolled in a nationwide trial by the end of the month.
University of Queensland Centre for Clinical Research director Professor David Paterson told news.com.au today they have seen two drugs used to treat other conditions wipe out the virus in test tubes.
He said one of the medications, given to some of the first people to test positive for COVID-19 in Australia, had already resulted in “disappearance of the virus” and complete recovery from the infection.
Prof Paterson, who is also an infectious disease physician at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, said it wasn’t a stretch to label the drugs “a treatment or a cure”.
“It’s a potentially effective treatment,” he said.
“Patients would end up with no viable coronavirus in their system at all after the end of therapy.”.

Japan now too has a drug that has hope.
Its been silent on this matter due to the manufacturing of it here.
But since about 3 weeks ago, the news have been off limits of it
That is all I know about it
Was very big news at the time

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: acrux

and UK bans the export of the drug
link

this was three days ago

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

Probably to shove down the faces of "nobility"

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Can't have the peasants getting their hopes up.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Whats interesting and hopeful is that they are existing drugs that shouldn't have to go through too many steps for a protocol to be established. Or at least that's my understanding. Here's hoping

edit on 16-3-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Bad link

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   
We've been looking for a vaccine/cure for the coronavirus for over 3 decades.

There is a huge difference in in vitro and in vivo.

Lemme know when it makes it to stage 3...

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

and UK bans the export of the drug
link

this was three days ago

Interesting a malaria drug kills the virus. So the treatment appears to be treat it as if you contracted malaria.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

I posted full story as link went down from main page, and I had hard time refinding it to at least copy the story.

This is link as I copied from page but ATS won't let me post it properly

www.news.com.au... ff4fc4d2c5e51706accb5/

edit on 16-3-2020 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouAreLiedTo
We've been looking for a vaccine/cure for the coronavirus for over 3 decades.

There is a huge difference in in vitro and in vivo.

Lemme know when it makes it to stage 3...

LOL
did you even read the article already using it on patients just not in a controlled manner. see below from the article

One of the two medications is a HIV drug, which has been superseded by “newer generation” HIV drugs, and the other is an anti-malaria drug called chloroquine which is rarely used and “kept on the shelf now” due to resistance to malaria.
He said the researchers want to study them in a “very meaningful way” against the coronavirus to “try and alleviate that anxiety of Australians”.
“There have already been patients treated with these in Australia and there’s been successful outcomes but it hasn’t been done in a controlled or a comparative way,” Prof Paterson said.
The drugs would be given orally, as tablets.
Prof Paterson said patients would be asked to participate “as soon as they’re admitted” to hospital with the aim of beginning treatment “very early on in their illness”.
He said the research was sparked by Chinese patients, who were first given the drug in Australia, showing their doctors information on the internet about the treatment used overseas.
“Our doctors were very, very surprised that a HIV drug could actually work against the novel coronavirus and there was a bit of scepticism,” he said.
“That first wave of Chinese patients we had (in Australia), they all did very, very well when they were treated with the HIV drug.
“That’s reassuring … that we’re onto something really good here.”

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Being safe to give to a human, and it being effective, are two different things.

Thousands upon thousands of drugs are effective in vitro and useless in vivo.

Wake me when we have actual controlled trials.

~aside~ I'm not trying to be negative... I'm being realistic...

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: YouAreLiedTo
Here's some initial trial results. Was performed in China first and this is how it was used for them, not sure why the aussies are claiming 'first' exactly? But it gives me some hope. This was published a week ago.

(Disclaimer, I am not suggesting you use this treatment, please talk with a doctor first and don't be a cowboy with meds)

I got some already last week from my doctor as it can also be a treatment for extreme chronic cramps.

edit on 16-3-2020 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:05 AM
link   

What I find amusing, is I mentioned chloroquine...(literally 2 weeks ago) and that it, and its chemical analog; quinine were being used with great success in China.

How this is an Australian discovery is beyond me. I see no reason to ad the AIDS drugs to the mix at all...except of course, how else can they make this super expensive, and make crap tons of money on everyone, given how cheap the raw materials for Chloroquine are...

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket
I too am baffled why Aussies are claiming it. I'd hazard a guess its because of the pathetic level our media "report" at, they are beyond lazy. They don't fact check stuff at all down here. Initial rushed trial results in China are in the above video from a week ago, not Australian.

Also, Hydroxy-Chloroquinene seems to work better than Chloroquinene according to the chinese research and doctors. This is not medical advice btw, just something one might mention to your personal doctor.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

exactly..heck just for fun...wife and I started a batch of homemade quinine syrup from Cinchona bark yesterday.

The Eclectic physicians of the 19th century have an entirely different experience using it as a prophylactic to malaria than modern thought on the topic.

Fun to make either way.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

What I find amusing, is I mentioned chloroquine...(literally 2 weeks ago) and that it, and its chemical analog; quinine were being used with great success in China.

How this is an Australian discovery is beyond me. I see no reason to ad the AIDS drugs to the mix at all...except of course, how else can they make this super expensive, and make crap tons of money on everyone, given how cheap the raw materials for Chloroquine are...

One of the things that make this corona virus "novel" is that it has segments of HIV DNA spliced into it (along with some SARS). These segments allow it to avoid detection by the immune system and infect cells easier. So it make sense to me why certain HIV treatments might work.

They never have stopped playing with HIV since they engineered it back in the late 70s as a bio-weapon. Obviously HIV's only purpose is for use in biological weapons and they are still using it for parts in their latest weaponized diseases.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 10:04 AM
link   

One of the two medications is a HIV drug

Ok now I'm a little spooked...

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Thats a good point, weaponization.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   
We have never cured a virus.