It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could mandatory face masks in public stop this pandemic?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
So I'm not a medical professional, but I keep hearing the same thing repeated over and over... face masks won't stop you from catching the Corona virus, but if you're sick it will greatly inhibit your ability to spread it as most of the micro droplets will be caught by the inside of the mask.

So here is a question... if every citizen was supplied with face masks and required to wear it in public, wouldn't that dramatically diminnish the viruses ability to spread? The reason being is that a lot of people who spread it don't realize they have it... if these people were wearing masks too then their ability to spread the virus would greatly diminnish as well.

So wearing a mask isn't so that you won't catch the disease, it's so you won't spread it if you don't realize that you have it.. would this not be a very effective weapon against this virus? Yet we are being told don't waste your time on masks.. If you look at Hong Kong (an extremely densely populated area), the infection rate is very low...

literally everyone wears a mask out in public... everyone! Doesn't it make logical sense that this would stop this virus dead in it's tracks? It just seems odd to me that no one is suggesting this... yet I actually hear health professionals say don't wear masks because it won't stop you from getting it...

but yet I hear health professionals say nearly in the same breath that it will only stop you from spreading it.... bingo! Anyone else wondering about this simple solution? Instead of panicking and shutting down public events just require everyone to wear a mask!

Yes that won't stop 100% of the infection rate but I bet it would slow it down by 95% and on top of that we wouldn't need to voluntarily crash our economy! It feels to me that what's going on right now is almost intentional... why not just require every single person to wear a face mask in public? Common sense tells me this would greatly inhibit the spread (Even if not 100%)
edit on 14-3-2020 by elevatedone because: edited for paragraphs.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Galacticsun

The best weapon against this virus is your own immune system. There is no stopping it. So embrace it. Let your body chew it up and spit it out. The faster we cycle through this crap, the sooner it will be over.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I've heard that this virus is related to the cold virus and like the cold virus you can get it over and over again... and there are already documented cases of people getting it two and three times...so I'm not so sure about that. a reply to: KKLOCO

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Wouldn’t you need 7 billion masks, daily? I think they’re wear once and dispose- the inside and outside will both be covered in germs...

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The problem with the N-95 masks, according to a nurse I know, is that for proper use, they have to be changed every 30 minutes (hospital protocol) AND you have to be specially fitted for your size.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Personally I would think you could wear the mask over and over, let it air dry over night, it would still act as a barrier from infected droplets flying all over, even if worn repeatedly. Why not? And besides, people in Asian countries are doing it.. and it's working..
a reply to: snowspirit

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   

No AND Yes - but it may definitely minimize it or even limit it's spread as it seem's to have helped in China, mandatory face mask's would also be an interesting experiment though because it would make people anonymous, it would also freak out people in my old profession of security since identifying people would then be extremely difficult and it could spark a crime wave of shoplifting hahaha.

But if you add some form of anti microbial, anti viral gloves to that then just maybe it would as well as causing ordinary flu's and colds to die out as diseases among the public, remember though most of those can survive for week's, month's or even years on surfaces and this current outbreak may mutate to do the same thing.

edit on 14-3-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

"Thus, SARS-CoV-2 belongs to the betaCoVs category. It has round or elliptic and often pleomorphic form, and a diameter of approximately 60–140 nm. Like other CoVs, it is sensitive to ultraviolet rays and heat. Furthermore, these viruses can be effectively inactivated by lipid solvents including ether (75%), ethanol, chlorine-containing disinfectant, peroxyacetic acid and chloroform except for chlorhexidine."

60-140nm...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

"In 1995 the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health issued new regulations for nonpowered particulate respirators (42 CFR Part 84). A new filter certification system also was created. Among the new particulate respirators that have entered the market, the N95 respirator is the most commonly used in industrial and health care environments. The filtration efficiencies of unloaded N95 particulate respirators have been compared with those of dust/mist (DM) and dust/fume/mist (DFM) respirators certified under the former regulations (30 CFR Part 11). Through laboratory tests with NaCl certification aerosols and measurements with particle-size spectrometers, N95 respirators were found to have higher filtration efficiencies than DM and DFM respirators and noncertified surgical masks. N95 respirators made by different companies were found to have different filtration efficiencies for the most penetrating particle size (0.1 to 0.3 micron), but all were at least 95% efficient at that size for NaCl particles. Above the most penetrating particle size the filtration efficiency increases with size; it reaches approximately 99.5% or higher at about 0.75 micron. Tests with bacteria of size and shape similar to Mycobacterium tuberculosis also showed filtration efficiencies of 99.5% or higher. Experimental data were used to calculate the aerosol mass concentrations inside the respirator when worn in representative work environments. The penetrated mass fractions, in the absence of face leakage, ranged from 0.02% for large particle distributions to 1.8% for submicrometer-size welding fumes. Thus, N95 respirators provide excellent protection against airborne particles when there is a good face seal."

Depending on the manufacturer, N95 protect down to 0.1 microns.

0.14 microns is equal to 140nm (1 to 1000).

Yes, some N95 very much do protect you from this virus when used correctly.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:33 PM
link   
No. The cheap ones you see on every Asian face in the news can barely stop a sick person from spreading the virus to others and sick people should stay at home. Period.

Real n95 masks are form-fitted to the wearer and real protective gear includes protective eyewear. How many Chinese citizens do you see wearing goggles?

The performative illusion of safety is still a puppet-show. It's up to the people to educate themselves enough to know the difference or they will be played for suckers.
edit on 14-3-2020 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I think it's worth a shot. Certainly better than the alternative we are experiencing now. It will be fascinating to see how quickly the Asian countries get over this virus... I think it will be far faster than the west for just this reason (that they all wear masks and there is no stigma about it). Also will be interesting to see if like you say, other strands and viruses diminish greatly.. I have a feeling they will.a reply to: LABTECH767

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

What's worth a shot? Cornucopia machines turning out magic masks by magic?

THINK.

Where would the manufacturing capability for billions of masks come from if not "thin air?" Where would the distribution network come from if not thin air?

You can't share physical objects like n95 masks on your Facebook wall.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   

There's a mask shortage that is several quarters away from being replenished.

But even if we could do it, it wouldnt prevent much..

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I'm not sure I believe that assumption... it still acts as a barrier and probably would still stop 95% of moisture droplets from being propelled more than an inch from your face.. We also don't propell anything from our eyes, only catch it... the key is to prevent the propellant of the virus.. even cheap masks would do that as it creates a barrier. a reply to: 0zzymand0s

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

What's worth a shot? Cornucopia machines turning out magic masks by magic?

THINK.

Where would the manufacturing capability for billions of masks come from if not "thin air?" Where would the distribution network come from if not thin air?

You can't share physical objects like n95 masks on your Facebook wall.

That's why people have been saying to stock up since January.

If it had been a slow purchase process over 3 months, everyone could have a couple.

When people mob the mask aisle because it's too late to fight the crowds, no one gets one.

I use N95's for varnishing and have a decent stock pile... I've been watching this from the sidelines for months...

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Galacticsun
I'm not sure I believe that assumption... it still acts as a barrier and probably would still stop 95% of moisture droplets from being propelled more than an inch from your face.. We also don't propell anything from our eyes, only catch it... the key is to prevent the propellant of the virus.. even cheap masks would do that as it creates a barrier. a reply to: 0zzymand0s

I linked the science behind it. N95 masks work when used properly.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Great. I'm not Jesus. I could care less what you believe.

There is literally zero chance the capability exists to manufacture/distribute that many masks on any timeline remotely resembling mitigation of the current crisis. On a timeline of multiple years? Maybe.

It's still #e science.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: YouAreLiedTo

The average person touches their face 25+ times per hour. There is no chance untrained personnel who were not fitted for their mask will protect themselves from contamination under real-world conditions.

And you would literally need *magic* to manufacture and distribute them nation (or world) wide in time to help with the current crisis.

You know what does actually help?

Washing your damn hands.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I know many people who have stocked up on masks.. society would have to come together and share what they are not using... gaurantee you there are more than enough masks out there for every citizen. I'll make a prediction right now that when everyone is wondering how the Asian countries managed to stop this outbreak quickly in their country, one of the key factors will come down to the number of people wearing masks in public as the virus isn't PROPELLED from their face when breathing... even cheap masks will prevent that... seems logical when you think about it for a moment. reply to: 0zzymand0s

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Galacticsun
I know many people who have stocked up on masks.. society would have to come together and share what they are not using... gaurantee you there are more than enough masks out there for every citizen. I'll make a prediction right now that when everyone is wondering how the Asian countries managed to stop this outbreak quickly in their country, one of the key factors will come down to the number of people wearing masks in public as the virus isn't PROPELLED from their face when breathing... even cheap masks will prevent that... seems logical when you think about it for a moment. reply to: 0zzymand0s

The Ant and the Grasshopper...

Have-nots always say you're wasting your time until there is no more time.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
Wouldn’t you need 7 billion masks, daily? I think they’re wear once and dispose- the inside and outside will both be covered in germs...

Naw they are worthless after they become damp. 10 to 30 minutes max, multiplied by 16 waking hours a day.

Edit: I am not shaving my beard, a mask will have no effect.
edit on 14-3-2020 by Jason79 because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join