It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Progressive taxes do cause people to move

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Progressive taxes do cause people to move

I wouldn't worry to much...when the mkt. tanks there will be a completely new and improved tax structure implemented.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   
If taxes were increased too much in our state, I would consider moving. Nobody wants the forty five cent gas tax the new governor is trying to force on the people, taxing gas means everything goes up, products leaving the state and products coming into the state need to be hauled by trucks most times. She won't back down either, she is going to screw up our state because she is pissed she did not get what she wants. She routed the money from necessary things to give schools a bigger increase in funding than they got in over twenty years. Throwing money at something that is failing is not going to help, and some of that money was earmarked to promote the global warming agenda being taught in schools from what I read in the paper.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Back when Newt Gingrich was running for president I have a argument with someone who was claiming a "flat" tax was unfair because his taxes would go up!

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It's currently 41.4 cents in my home state of New Jersey where we are renowned for being the home of the most honest politicians in the union as exhibited by our president.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Back when Newt Gingrich was running for president I have a argument with someone who was claiming a "flat" tax was unfair because his taxes would go up!

Well that's the thing, it is only "unfair" if it doesn't benefit certain people.

I've always wondered if we've made taxes just too complicated. Let's tax everything, to everyone one single percentage.
I don't care if it is 5% or 10% whatever. I mean everything, sales/property & income.

Nobody gets out of it, not Amazon, not the single mom with 14 kids. You buy a dollar coke, you pay 10%, you buy a house for 100K you pay 10% in property taxes, you buy a million dollar house, you pay 10%.

We know neither the rich nor the poor want that, because they are both getting the best benefit off the taxes right now. It is the middle class that is getting screwed!

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 03:30 PM
link   

a reply to: rickymouse

It's currently 41.4 cents in my home state of New Jersey where we are renowned for being the home of the most honest politicians in the union as exhibited by our president.

We already pay an eighteen and a half cent state gas tax, the 45 cent increase she wants is on top of that. Plus we have the federal tax and some cities also have a city tax of a couple of cents on gas.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   

You keep posting that Trump is from New Jersey when he's from New York.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
…you buy a house for 100K you pay 10% in property taxes, you buy a million dollar house, you pay 10%.

10% in property taxes per annum would pretty much guarantee that most people couldn't afford to own a home.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Well that's the thing, it is only "unfair" if it doesn't benefit certain people.

I've always wondered if we've made taxes just too complicated. Let's tax everything, to everyone one single percentage.
I don't care if it is 5% or 10% whatever. I mean everything, sales/property & income.

Nobody gets out of it, not Amazon, not the single mom with 14 kids. You buy a dollar coke, you pay 10%, you buy a house for 100K you pay 10% in property taxes, you buy a million dollar house, you pay 10%.

We know neither the rich nor the poor want that, because they are both getting the best benefit off the taxes right now. It is the middle class that is getting screwed!

Taxes are complicated because that is how politicians pay back their cronies by carving out exemptions or favoritism in tax code.

A simple or flat tax would be far more fair. No deductions. Make it like 5%. The problem is all the lobbyist will try to get their own little special breaks.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   
This, as you don't seem to grasp, is social engineering. Why force the population to move where they want you to go, they will fight the move. Now engineer tax breaks etc. and you move willingly.
When they've got you where they want you then they'll hit you with higher taxes etc. but there will be no where else to move to to escape. And you think it's about saving a few dollars.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
When they've got you where they want you then they'll hit you with higher taxes etc. but there will be no where else to move to to escape. And you think it's about saving a few dollars.

If I were to move to Tennessee from New Jersey my salary goes with me. What doesn't are my property taxes so if I go from paying tens of thousands a year to a few thousand that's a real savings. If I'm there for 10 years it's a huge amount that I keep, not a 'few dollars'.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree

The problem with these states is that they are becoming too populated. I think of Florida and Washington State. People are just flocking to these places and now there is a housing problem.

Austin is just having a blast with all of the California refugees.
I can see myself as an old man telling the kids about the 'good ol' days' when you could walk down an alley without suffocating on the fumes of human excrement.
Thank god it's just there and Dallas, I San Antonio can be liberal, but nothing like Austin.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: crayzeed

If I were to move to Tennessee from New Jersey my salary goes with me. What doesn't are my property taxes so if I go from paying tens of thousands a year to a few thousand that's a real savings. If I'm there for 10 years it's a huge amount that I keep, not a 'few dollars'.

Property taxes are a scourge. First off, you never really own your home because if you don't pay the property taxes, govt can take the property.

Second, here in IL which have 2nd highest in country, the bulk of the bill is covering pensions. So basically I'm paying 15k year to fund lavish pensions for govt workers.

I'd move in a heart beat to a lower tax state if it went so disruptive for my family.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
You are correct, of course, but that isn't the total picture. Oregon, for example, has an income tax, but no sales tax. Does that fact override the income tax? Washington has no income tax, but in most places sales tax is approaching 10%. That's a whole lot of money when you are buying a car which you can't avoid even if you buy out of state. California, on the other hand, has both. Point is that you have to take the overall tax burden into account. Here is one accounting that shows Washington and Oregon are approximately the same.

Sales taxes can be avoided by buying online, and MORE people should...

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Second, here in IL which have 2nd highest in country, the bulk of the bill is covering pensions. So basically I'm paying 15k year to fund lavish pensions for govt workers.

I'd move in a heart beat to a lower tax state if it went so disruptive for my family.

Property taxes in Illinois are in a realm of their own. You could literally buy a house 2 sometimes 3/4 times over by the time you die, with the property taxes that you pay. When we moved out of Illinois it was an instant pay raise. The side we didn't expect was the increase in services and better schools. I think it is good for people to move every once in a while, it will show them how bad corruption is in some parts. My BIL pays 12K a year in property taxes and his house isn't even that good looking or special/small lot.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I've thought about moving, if I went to Tennessee I'd be the King of Nashville with their dinky $3,000 a year property taxes.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Join the club. People started flowing into Nashville over ten years ago. It got packed, now people are moving to the cities around Nashville. Housing prices just keep going up, so you may want to decide sooner rather than later.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz
Not for long. They're coming for you.

Interstate sales taxes.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

But will they let you keep DBC in your basement?

$3,000 property taxes are sweet but BDC just might be sweeter (if it is hot there probably not).

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

…you buy a house for 100K you pay 10% in property taxes, you buy a million dollar house, you pay 10%.

10% in property taxes per annum would pretty much guarantee that most people couldn't afford to own a home.

you make a valid point but IMO missing the overall point jagstorm was making

that a flat tax would benefit most everyone... the percentage was just spitballing.

IMO the sweet spot is between 5 to 10 percent.

even at the lower the money coming in would be fantastic.

as sam walton (love or hate walmart) said in his business model

he makes his profit on QUANTITY not per sale..

but alas as many state here all the special interests that have benefited from screwing the middle (from generational welfare, illegals, politicians and rich to name a few) would fight this tooth and nail
the press would (and have) spin it that it would make the anti trump drivel look honest/above board.
and a large group of voters (enough to defeat it outright or vote in those who would) would stand against it despite all logic.

if that failed (by some miracle ) the courts and dead/illegal voters with outright fraud would take it up.

scrounger

<< 1    3 >>

join