It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Washington lock down an American city like China did with Wuhan?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

originally posted by: HalWesten

originally posted by: Arnie123
Maybe, but us Americans are funny and so while the majority will probably comply, there will always be a few bad apples trying to do their own things.

You call them bad apples, I call them independent thinkers. Not everyone that refuses to conform to any particular situation is a bad apple.

Conversely, not all social situations with remedies, via quarantine, aren't to be construed as something bad, especially if said "apples" have no clue what is going on.

True. We do have a pretty serious independent streak in us though, good or bad. Sometimes it benefits us, sometimes it bites us in the ass.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   
No... Washington DC could not ----> there is not a Central Planners in DC like there is in China

the Mayor and State Governor would be involved first, then request FEMA/DHS/NGs to be deployed in the City

remember that the USAFed uses China a sand-box to Beta Test stuff, including shutdowns/Exile/migrations

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Washington could, and even your state could lock down a city if there is evidence of a pandemic in the area.

Just go out and buy some sustainable food supplies so you have food for a month if needed, make sure to rotate your food and try to maintain the pantry. It isn't that expensive to do, the price of a cell phone monthly bill for many people will cover starting a pantry if you do it right. Some canned meats, some canned veggies, and just having the fridge and freezer stocked with enough food can help. Potatoes and carrots and onions are not that expensive and can last a long time if you have a cool place to store them.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Do you remember what happened after the Boston bombings? They shut down that entire area and had law enforcement both local and federal going door to door. I truly believe they could shut down a city, would people adhere to it is another story all together.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Depends on the city, without the terrain (or story) being beneficial to a quarantine no never work, many of our cities are to large and spread out and large segments of the population have an issue with authority.

Yes, and they have that issue for various reasons, but it all amounts to the same thing - people telling the government to go take a flying leap when things get too much to take.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   
If a virus got that deadly every person infected would be a wandering murderer if allowed to travel.
So yes, no matter how large the city, it would be quarantined and if you liked it or not it would be more than the national guard doing it.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   
It's rather amusing to me that China lets it's citizens breathe toxic waste all the time but they want to save them from a virus to such an extent they're willing to use strict quarantines.

I wonder how many people have died from breathing cancer in China in the past 30 years.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

500 sq miles of land for los angles, 800 for Jacksonville florida, just how many people do you think is in the guard?

Maybe we have enough troops for 2 or 3 cities max if we bring every uniformed soldier home to enforce a quarantine, something on the scale of China right now, no zero chance... less than zero chance.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   
China has a much more weak willed populace which they’ve engineered over the decades. Quarantine and lockdown work well for them from that perspective. This time it may be different though. Indications are the regime is scared to death about the virus and social conditions.

In rural areas I think it will be ok when this happens in USA.

In cities in a whole other thing with entitled people, dumbasses, and willfully ignorant people surrounding us more rational and aware people. It’s a recipe for disaster.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Regardless of when it was, the people acquiesced.

So, the answer to the OP seems to be yes.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

I can't even begin to imagine what it would take to lock a city down, I don't think their would be enough razor wire or man power to effectively lock a US city down.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Nope. Not an ounce of a chance.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies
This got me to wondering whether Washington could lock down an entire city, and what would happen if it tried?

Isn't that exactly what they did in New Orleans after the storm which wreaked havok? Including successfully disarming the citizenry?
edit on 1-2-2020 by ANonProfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ANonProfit

Gotta love it when people say there is no way and it has already happened.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I think it would be a lot tougher in the US. We've always been a more individualistic society. These days, our society is more conforming (people feel like they need to represent either "this" or "that"), however, I believe people are also much more self-centered than ever before, and everyone thinking they're a special exception to the rule.

People will want "everybody else" under quarantine, but will believe their reasons to move about, in the eyes of many (not most, but many), are more important than the health of everyone else. If they're in a quarantine zone, they'll think they shoukd be allowed to leave it to get to safety - not thinking that they could already be infected and thus spreading jt to others.

It could be done, but I believe it would have to be enforced with more "muscle" than in China.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Petra137

originally posted by: AaarghZombies
OK, like most of you I've been watching the news about the Corona virus, and one of the things that struck me was that China was able to lock down an entire city of around 11 million people with relative ease.

They cut off the trains, and the buses and all but closed the airport. And there are armed guard on the roads. Though not troops on the streets.

It's not so much that the totalitarian military dictatorship was able to do this, because it's one of the things that totalitarian military dictatorships do, it's more that the people accepted this as being necessary and seem to respect it.

What do you think, could Washington lock down a US city, and what would happen if they tried?

Would you accept the lockdown, and if not would you protest against it, or try to escape>

Not in the US but I have lived and worked in Asia and traveled extensively in the US/Europe, the mindset is totally different..

The media would turn it into a absolute cluster nugget, the baiting and division provoking stories would be absurd. Liberals would blame everything but the obvious and they would use it to further their rhetoric regardless.

At the end of the day we probably will see a situation like this in the west in our lifetime, antibiotics can only do so much. It would not take much for a virus to go totally rouge.

I think the people that would cope just fine are those intelligent enough and well drilled in having a solid plan for when any number of situations cause cr$p to hit the fan.

Regards

Just one point to make - antibiotics can't only do so much for a viral pandemic, they can do absolutely nothing, as they only work against bacterial infections.

This is an important point to make, as the people who abuse antibiotics are the reason for drug-resistant superbugs.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

...and no actual journalists left to ask them.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   
They have shut down cities before and even went door to door to collect weapons as in New Orleans following the flooding in the aftermath of Katrina. Any serious quarantine would require both states and federal involvement with a declaration of Martial Law.

I would agree with others that most would comply by way of self quarantine but you would have many who would want to leave to run for the hills. That’s when it could get complicated. The press declared the mandatory quarantine of health providers returning from providing care during the Ebola breakout to be unnecessary and stupid.

I can only imagine the ensuing circus if Trump declared an emergency quarantine somewhere. No doubt another impeachment would be in order. I don’t see it coming to entire cities under quarantine but hospitals and healthcare workers treating those infected could face lock downs inside the respective treatment centers

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

totally agree not just in america pretty much most western countries

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join