It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Look out Willy Wonka, I made home made marshmallows

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   
So I saw this commercial for hand made chocolates and candies where this lady puts this big rough cut marshmallow into a cup and pours this thick hot chocolate over it. I could almost smell it through the screen.
I said to myself, I want that.
So I got on the internet and I looked up how to make marshmallows.
There were loads of recipes, all pretty much the same.

The recipe is not hard and the ingredients are minimum though I did have to find unflavored gelatin because I had never used that before.
The rest is just sugar in various forms from liquid corn syrup to powdered sugar at the end.
Basically it's liquid sugar, sweetened with sugar, cooked and topped with sugar.

And I know people should not eat like this but it's Christmas and if you can't eat goodies at this time of year when can you?

Here is a YouTube Video I followed.

They looked just like that too. Big and fluffy and oh god so pillowy good. I sprinkled red crystal sugar over mine to give them a festive look.

I added one to a cup of hot cocoa also from scratch ( well cocoa powder and sugar and milk) and when it had melted and I sipped it up I added another one to the cup.

Its not hard but it requires attention to measurements and temperatures. Have a candy thermometer at the ready and get all your ingredients measured and ready to go.

It helps if you have a stand mixer because the end step is beating the mixture for fifteen minutes until it puffs up and cools enough to go into its final pan to set up.
That could be arduous with a hand mixer
I know it may seem like a bit much and perhaps it is but these were the best marshmallows I ever had because I never had one that was only a few hours old before. LOL.
Let me know if you try these.
edit on 12202019 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Basically it's liquid sugar, sweetened with sugar, cooked and topped with sugar.

Ummm...very cool...

I love how you described them above...

It's probably almost the same recipe for fluffanutter…

Yousir

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I'm not big into sweets, and I don't typically partake in marshmellows... But it's one of the ones that still hold nostalgia, and I enjoy seeing them, and people eating them.

I don't know how to explain it, I wouldn't eat a smores, but watching anyone pull a gooey marshmallow off a scewer in between graham crackers just makes me happy.

Maybe I could partake if someone made a salted caramel marshmallow, and salted dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate... And maybe a cracker that isn't as sweet, and I'd be in. Edit:and add a crispy slice of candied bacon for good measure.
edit on 20-12-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Thanks for posting this, I know some kids who are going to be really happy this Christmas

I usually make batches of toffee cinder or honeycomb for Christmas and cover them in chocolate. People love the stuff!

Here's a random vid with instructions. It's fairly simple if you're decent with timing.

The tip with using honey is great, it really does add a nice flavour and be careful... That stuffs nasty if it gets on your skin.

Thanks again!
and Merry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Funny you said that because I made peanut butter cookies the same day.

One of my sons asked if I was trying to give everybody diabetes.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Me and marshmallows go way back.
And I don't mind picking up a stick from the ground and sticking a marshmallow on the end so I could blacken it in the camp fire.

I have a big scar on my arm where a flaming marshmallow too melted to stay on the stick fell off and landed on me.
Lucky for me I was drunk when it happened.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

You make that with baking soda right?

My husband made peanut brittle one year.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

One of my sons asked if I was trying to give everybody diabetes.

Sounds like Little Debbie has to look out more than Willy Wonka.

Or should I say Little Diabeetus.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I am going to attempt to put a few of those things together to see what kind of candy I can come up with.

Maybe a shortbread crust/base with caramel over top, then a marshmallow layer and dip the whole thing in melted 65% cocoa and topped with crumbled candied bacon.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   

🎄🎅🤶

MERRY CHRISTMAS

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I could totally do it with shortbread. The savoryness from the butter makes me not mind I'm eating sweets. Good call.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

For dinner that night I made a composed salad with roman, poached chicken, olives, potatoes, asparagus and broccoli so I try to keep things balanced.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

That was my thought too. Just for you dear.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Aww, c'mon. Pics, or...

I mean, especially since you sprinkled them with red crystals.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Crunchy or soft?

Always down for a tried and true peanut butter cookie recipe.

The one I used to make I think I put both peanut butter and butterscotch morsels in them.

But today, it's Cheesecake, yes cheesecake day.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   

French Smores

Shortbread
Salted dark chocolate
creme brulee marshmallow
Brie (maybe some kind of preserve? Maybe an acidic one to cut through the richness)
Candied pork belly

I'd tear that up.
edit on 20-12-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

But today, it's Cheesecake, yes cheesecake day.

So this is another rare instance I break with my preference against sweets.

Cheesecake is savory, and at the country club I work on the side at from time to time... They put butterfingers through a food processor and make butterfingers cheese cake.

I don't really care for the texture of butterfingers since it gets stuck in my teeth, but it melts when they make the cheesecake... And you're left with a super rich and decadent result.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I've made them before and love it!

I have a little secret. There is a very famous cafe here that sells pies. They put this mixture after being beaten on Key Lime pie instead of a meringue and everyone loses their mind. I would not have known what it was if I didn't make it myself.

Meringue and this kind of marshmallow is very similar but the marshmallow is more dense. Seriously, if you like Key Lime, or Lemon Meringue, give it a try with this mixture next time...

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Very good thread topic and I will try this sometime soon.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
How will the homemade mushrooms work on a stick over a campfire? That is the only way I actually like marshmallows. My wife likes them and she probably would be interested in learning how to make them herself for her hot chocolate and to share with the kids.

<<   2  3 >>

join