It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halloween isn't the same

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

originally posted by: spiritualarchitect
Too much violence in our country has ruined a holiday about evil.

Halloween has NOTHING to do with evil!!!!! Absolutely nothing about Halloween is evil, NOTHING!

You've never seen me in yoga pants trick-or-treating.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: Ahabstar

Our forecast is calling for 36° and 25 mph winds. I got at 5 this morning to take my pups out to eat and potty. I walk outside and immediately get smacked by 20 mph winds and a temp of 42°. Uhhh yeah, nope. Y'all are on your own this time. I'll be back in 20.
That would be the global cooling from the Sun’s Solar Minimum cycle.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

My wife's family is Christmas obsessed. Frankly, I don't mind, but I like to take my holidays one at a time and not "jump the gun".

My in-Laws start Christmas shopping in January and their decorations go up in early November. Of course, it gets to the point that I can't blame them when all the stores have already started putting out their Christmas decorations and products and it isn't even Halloween yet!

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Regardless of the real meaning or how it started or when it started, our kids and kids today still don't get to experience the greatness of Halloween that we got to experience as kids. That's the main point.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Not roasting pumpkin seeds is kinda evil, they are pretty tasty. Butter and Worcestershire sauce, a little salt some Tabasco sauce if you want a kick or just taco seasoning to make it a mild spicy, or neither. Cookie sheet in a 225 degree oven for 45 minute stirring occasionally. Then 325 for about five minutes to toast them.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird
a reply to: JAGStorm

When I was a kid, I would stay up till midnight, or 2 am sometimes playing hide and go seek at night or all kinds of things. At night is the best time to play, one time I was wearing all green, we were playing in a field, I literally just laid down face first in the grass and watched my friend walk right by me, looking for people.

Then we would get up to all kinds of stuff, one time even with a pellet gun on the water tower, pelleting things till they called the cops. And more then a few things, kids were always outside and always up to something. Not to sure about these days though, I know on average I did not come back home till feeding time, or either watch new episodes of ninja turtles, or likely when it got dark, and then not always that early.

And then there was ol hollows eve. Fun times, lots of candy, every year dressed as a ninja or something similar. Now a days, dont see much of that. But then again, kind of in the boonies a bit, I don't think anybody would want to be out here in the middle of the night, no tricker treaters around my area since I moved here.

But ya! Halloween ain't what it used to be. Kids dont seem to play much outside anymore either. Everybody has just gotten lamer and lamer it seems.

That didn't come out right...

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

Chevy Chase Christmas Vacation .. one of the best movies ever. 😊

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
I am just saying it used to be such a fun time as a kid...

Well, yeah.
  • We didn't have to work
  • We didn't have to pay bills
  • Someone washed our clothes
  • Someone cooked our food
  • The holidays were actually fun for us
  • We didn't have a mother in law
  • We could commit crimes and not be sentenced as adults

I have a feeling we have tons of 30+ year olds who still fit those things you listed.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

Yeah people have had lights up here since last weekend. It's insane. Sorry, you decorate for Christmas on black Friday, that way you avoid all of the crazies that have to have the best deals on things that you can find for the same price and not deal with a mob of people. I avoid stores like the plague from late October through the middle of January because people are so obsessed with Christmas.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I have a feeling we have tons of 30+ year olds who still fit those things you listed.

Where do I sign up?

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

originally posted by: spiritualarchitect
Too much violence in our country has ruined a holiday about evil.

Halloween has NOTHING to do with evil!!!!! Absolutely nothing about Halloween is evil, NOTHING!

Whoa there... A little bent out of shape, no? If it's not based on evil, I'd hate to see what you consider evil.

"Halloween’s origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in). The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago, mostly in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1.

This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31 they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth.

In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort during the long, dark winter."

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus

a reply to: Ahabstar

Our forecast is calling for 36° and 25 mph winds. I got at 5 this morning to take my pups out to eat and potty. I walk outside and immediately get smacked by 20 mph winds and a temp of 42°. Uhhh yeah, nope. Y'all are on your own this time. I'll be back in 20.
That would be the global cooling from the Sun’s Solar Minimum cycle.

It's only gonna get worse.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Not roasting pumpkin seeds is kinda evil, they are pretty tasty. Butter and Worcestershire sauce, a little salt some Tabasco sauce if you want a kick or just taco seasoning to make it a mild spicy, or neither. Cookie sheet in a 225 degree oven for 45 minute stirring occasionally. Then 325 for about five minutes to toast them.

Ooooooooooooooooooooo, I'm taking a note on that to try out. Can you PM me the entire thing? Dried seeds or straight out of a pumpkin?

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Where do I sign up?

If you're not already there then I have bad news... On the bright side, you'd probably get just as much sex as we did when we were kids, so maybe it's best that you can't sign up.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Where do I sign up?

Sorry, you must be chosen.
edit on 10/31/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

I agree. I am lucky. My wife does all the Christmas shopping for everyone except herself and she loves it. All I need to do is shop for her gifts, and I usually end up doing most of that online. If I do go shopping at a brick and mortar I'll take a day off and go during the week during the work day to avoid people.

I can't stand crowds of people. I don't have a phobia about it or anything, I just don't want to deal with them. Too many rude, self absorbed people not paying attention to their surroundings, elbowing you out of their way and then accusing you of being rude and obnoxious when all you wanted to do was stay out of the way.....

Ok...I'll stop ranting about shopping during the holidays

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: BomSquad
a reply to: Hypntick

I agree. I am lucky. My wife does all the Christmas shopping for everyone except herself and she loves it. All I need to do is shop for her gifts, and I usually end up doing most of that online. If I do go shopping at a brick and mortar I'll take a day off and go during the week during the work day to avoid people.

I can't stand crowds of people. I don't have a phobia about it or anything, I just don't want to deal with them. Too many rude, self absorbed people not paying attention to their surroundings, elbowing you out of their way and then accusing you of being rude and obnoxious when all you wanted to do was stay out of the way.....

Ok...I'll stop ranting about shopping during the holidays

Ha! HAHA!! I swear your wife and mine must have been cut from the same cloth because that's exactly how it is in my house. I shop for her, she shops for everyone else, and she even buys herself stuff sometimes to wrap up. I absolutely HATE shopping during holidays. The newest shopping center is north of I-220 here in Bossier City and never a day goes by where you miss a couple of green lights waiting to get out of it. I made the mistake of going with her 2 days before Christmas a couple years ago for some last minute things and we had our baby, who was 1 at the time. It took 5, FIVE, hours to get out of the parking lot. FIVE! We tried Bass Pro Shops down at the Boardwalk and I ended up carrying my 1 year old the entire time and he's a big baby, I could barely bend over to load him in his car seat when we finally left. Never. Again.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Well, and.... "All Hallows Eve" (from which the word "Halloween" comes from) was indeed a ancient ritual relating to the spirits of the dead, but the purpose of the 'celebration' was to scare off evil spirits who might otherwise remain in the crop fields and damage the harvest the following year. Hence all the carved scary pumpkins and scarecrow effigies of darkness.

Much like the early vintages of Christmas, All Hallows Eve celebrations became drunken orgies with all manner of debauchery. Consequently, the Catholic church had to step in (again, much like Christmas) and put a different spin on the whole party.

In any case, yes, Halloween very much does have it's roots in scary (some might say 'evil') things.

None the less, the "Halloween" we all know in the 20th and 21st centuries bears no resemblance to those days of old, and only the celebration remains...for now (until some butt-hurt liberal takes offense at that too and virtue shames the celebration into oblivion).

edit on 10/31/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The OP highlights how much worse our nation is now compared to 50 years ago, or even 30 years ago. How did everything get so utterly screwed up? I know one thing: It wasn’t caused by following traditional values. When I think about how far we’ve fallen from our days of greatness, I get depressed.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

I agree. I wish we'd get back to our traditional values and make these pagan holiday great again. MPHGA!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join