It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milwaukee gives homeless tent people letter to evacuate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   
www.wisn.com...

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation ordered the homeless living in Milwaukee's "tent city" to leave by the end of October. A notice was handed out on Friday to those living underneath I-794.

How absolutely freaking fitting....

Seriously, Milwaukee has never cared much about the homeless. Usually the brutal winters take care of most of the homeless. They either leave or take shelter. This year is different. We all know why. The Democratic National Convention. How fitting that they are shooing away the homeless so they aren't seen during the convention. (yes I know it is not even until next summer, but the city is already taking care of some pesky problem early) Isn't it ironic that the Democratic platform is all about helping the underprivileged, but our city doesn't even want them looking at it.

That's the exact problem. Nobody wan'ts to be honest about homelessness. Until we are honest, nothing will help. I guarantee you 99.99999999999999999% of homeless people here are on drugs. This has got to be one of the worst places in America to be homeless. Very few are just down and out. Maybe a few mentally ill, but they too are probably on drugs. The people here are not very tolerant of the homeless either. Lot's of blue collar folks that have high work ethic. Absolutely the opposite of Seattle.

This letter is hilarious, umm excuse me homeless people, please move out by Halloween. Looks like Illinois will be enjoying some more problems soon.

edit on 5-10-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   
What's a bus ticket to california cost?

Should hand them out, probably be cheaper for the city.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Oregon and Washington, as well. Shoot, the whole west coast is coddling the homeless. They have taken over some of the most but parts of the cities.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Oregon and Washington, as well. Shoot, the whole west coast is coddling the homeless. They have taken over some of the most but parts of the cities.

Sure, but we are trying to overload california so it capsizes into the ocean.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

These are people. Just like you. People would do well to remember that the measure of a society is in how it treats the most vulnerable.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

In Hawaii, a fair number of homeless are families with both parents working. Buying a home is pretty hopeless and rents are pretty absurd. Honolulu just made it tougher to do "vacation rentals" though. That might help. We'll see what happens.

Of course, there are those who choose the "lifestyle", as well as those who are clearly mentally ill.

edit on 10/5/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

In Hawaii, a fair number of homeless are families with both parents working. Buying a home is pretty hopeless and rents are pretty absurd.

Of course, there are those who choose the "lifestyle", as well as those who are clearly mentally ill.

The housing portion of homelessness does need to be addressed.

As you said, not all are homeless because of poor life choices or factors forced upon them(mental illness).

If a city is going to continue to grow in population it HAS to allow for the construction of more housing.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Yeah. In the Kakaako area of Honolulu a whole lot of $million+ apartments are going up.

There are also some "affordable housing" projects in the city.
www.bizjournals.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Have the Democratic convention in SF, Detroit, Baltimore. These are suppose to be their models of prosperity so let's see it. Free admission for the homeless, remove all vertical barriers, no law enforcement, no guns allowed by anyone and give the poop patrol in SF the day off.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Im In Cali and they are all over this city. The cops evict them and they just move to a new spot further down the river bank. They beg on the streets, and a majority are on meth or smoking crack. I was in a business for 1 minute and a tweeker was walking up to my truck, because I left the window open. He glared at me in defiance when I came out right away. I felt like pepper spraying that turd

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Well, we(as a society) seem to really be going out of our way to "push the problem down the road".

I don't know the answer, but it seems we need to put a lot of time and money into facilities that can handle the growing drug/mental health situation that is brewing.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Maybe a death penalty for pushing meth would help.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: KKLOCO

These are people. Just like you. People would do well to remember that the measure of a society is in how it treats the most vulnerable.

Is there anything in particular thst you are doing, to help the homeless and vulnerable?

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 11:06 PM
link   

In Hawaii, a fair number of homeless are families with both parents working. Buying a home is pretty hopeless and rents are pretty absurd. Honolulu just made it tougher to do "vacation rentals" though. That might help. We'll see what happens.

Its similar to that where i live, housing is unaffordable, that coupled with a warm tropical climate many people either live in the vans or on the dunes.

We know 1 guy who rents his house out in Sydney during the summer months and lives up here on the dunes, he does 6 months on 6 months off.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

We know 1 guy who rents his house out in Sydney during the summer months and lives up here on the dunes, he does 6 months on 6 months off.

We call them snow birds.

But that's different. There are those who buy five or six houses so then can rent them for $300+ a day, all year round, for a week at a time. Nice little income for a residential area. Leave the neighbors to deal with the cars and noise.

Off topic, sort of. Maybe not.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Sadly, St Petersburg has outlawed even feeding the homeless. Obviously with our warm weather this is a haven for the homeless. The city has gone so far as to arrest those passing out food, blankets, socks, etc. (We did it anyway as a group; safety in numbers and all that.)

On the other hand, the city is making great strides in having enough beds every night but there are many too mentally ill to be around the others. There is free healthcare including psychological help but many just wont use it.

The system is just not going to work for everyone.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

What a messed up world we live in. I'm curious now just how many people " snow bird " around here, I'm betting quite a few.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 11:24 PM
link   
for sure these homeless people are fools.
lets say im homeless tonite.

i have about 1000 friends i can crash at.
lets say i have zero cash.

i find a friend, can i crash for a week till i get a gig anywhere, heck even target.

then after 2-3 weeks, i have money to pay my friend, and i can start looking for a place.

one of my friends, an alcoholic, got a concussion, after getting into a fight. he spiraled into a midlife crisis, and he is damn lucky he has a good friend. he did not work, did not leave the house, just cried and watched tv for a few months. i went there to confront him, and the alcoholic got belligerent with me.

lets pretend, his friend was not as patient as he was. and my friend, belligerent with anger and concussed, curses that guy out. wham, my friend is out on the streets.

and my friend was completely psycho during this mid life crisis. i went there, he was not making sense. started bringing up high school events, which happened years ago.

whenever a homeless dork talks to me in nyc, i always tell them, 'why dont you crash at a friends house.'
and they always have an excuse, OR they get irked at me.

but these people getting super upset with me, for suggesting how to better themselves?

one guy, rolls up on me, and says, 'i can do a rap for you, how much you got...'

i said i do not cash. my go to excuse, 'man im sorry, i gotta pay rent im so late...'

then the guy who was willing to make up a rap for me says, 'some guys buy me a 40 instead...'

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Heard from a nurse the other day they are going to be doing that here in Vegas. Don't know the veracity of that but I wouldn't be surprised. Seems to be the attitude all over the country so why wouldn't the idiots who run this place be any different?

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   

a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

We call them snow birds.

But that's different. There are those who buy five or six houses so then can rent them for $300+ a day, all year round, for a week at a time. Nice little income for a residential area. Leave the neighbors to deal with the cars and noise.

Off topic, sort of. Maybe not.

I wish I had money to buy a trash apartment, fix it up with fake marble and fake tile. and Rent that # out.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join