It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Clock; Hovers closest to "Midnight" since 1947.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 01:05 AM
link   
It's two minutes until midnight, according to the BAS which is quite considerable considering the clock has been minutes away my entire life.

That's not what concerns me the most though, this info is;

ATOMIC BOMBSHELL 

Horror simulation reveals nuclear war between US and Russia ‘killing 34million immediately’

A GRIM simulation reveals the horrifying mayhem that would ensue from a war between the US and Russia.

The ominous video shows how atomic bombs would rain down on Earth during the conflict, killing an estimated 34million people in under five hours. Most would die within a 45-minute period.

A further 60million would be injured by the blasts, say experts at Princeton University in New Jersey.

They added that the number of fatalities would later skyrocket due to nuclear fallout and other long-term effects.

Fighting quickly escalates as Russia and Nato forces exchange 480 warheads in an apocalyptic nuclear conflict
Credit: Alex Glaser

The four-minute simulation, titled "Plan A", depicts how a conflict between the United States and Russia could escalate from conventional war to an all-out nuclear conflict.

It's based on independent assessments of current U.S. and Russian force numbers, nuclear weapon targets, and fatality estimates.

Plan A

That, is just the destruction from two nuclear armed Nations.

Rogue Nations and other aspiring nuclear powers will no doubt launch their own attacks as well, adding to the destruction. This is important to keep in mind, now that a nuclear Iran is more capable than ever, and Nkorea have joined the global bigboys table.

With the aim of blocking the other side's recovery, Russia and Nato each obliterate one another's 30 most populated cities using five to ten warheads on each town.

This leads to over 85.3million casualties within the following 45 minutes.

"[The simulation] uses extensive data sets of the nuclear weapons currently deployed, weapon yields, and possible targets for particular weapons," reads the blog post.

It leads to around 91.5million causalties across the entire conflict.

Welcome back to the "Cold War" an era I grew up in, where Mutually Assured Destruction was the norm, and saber rattling a form of greeting it seems.

As all history has shown, the more things change the more they stay the same... patterns repeat until we learn.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 01:17 AM
link   

I think this is appropriate

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 02:23 AM
link   
And Donald Trumps acting National Security Advisor once said

www.huffpost.com...

the effects of a nuclear war could be limited and that U.S. would be able to fairly quickly rebuild itself after an all-out conflict with the then-Soviet Union.

“It may take 15 years, but geez, look how long it took Europe to recover after the Second World War,” Kupperman said. Referring to the Japanese city on which the U.S. dropped the first atomic bomb in 1945, he also claimed that “Hiroshima, after it was bombed, was back and operating three days later.”

At the time, Kupperman was executive director of President Ronald Reagan’s General Advisory Committee on Arms Control and Disarmament. He made the comments during an interview with Robert Scheer for the journalist’s 1982 book, “With Enough Shovels: Reagan, Bush, and Nuclear War.”

Now, he may not have the same thoughts. Maybe now, like all sane people back in 1980 he may realize the idiocy of that kind of thinking.

Or maybe that is part of why that clock is creeping forward.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire
to be fair as long as dirty bombs are not used, nuclear fallout isn't much of a problem with modern nuclear weapons.
I am not trying to downplay the absolute horror/ death and destruction. There is only one country that has ever purposefully produced dirty nuclear arms, and that is the UK (they seeded some weapons with cobalt if I remember correctly). Dirty bombs by definition are less explosive as they rely on seeding nuclear material for area denial. This is a trade in efficiency for lasting effect. Modern nuclear weapons are fairly clean when it comes to nuclear fallout because they efficiently use all of the fuel for the reaction.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 03:07 AM
link   
“I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as a photograph of oxygen to a drowning man.” - Dr. Manhattan

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

Welcome back to the "Cold War" an era I grew up in, where Mutually Assured Destruction was the norm, and saber rattling a form of greeting it seems.

As all history has shown, the more things change the more they stay the same... patterns repeat until we learn.

Yeah , those who experienced it remember it well but I feel the unpredictability of the main players today gives more concern than I had back then , apparently we were at 4 minutes in 1981.

Do tin foil hats work against Nukes or do I need a radiation suit ?

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I don't think people would be dumb enough to launch nukes. But I find the more I read and see out in the world it is evident that stupid is evolving.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 04:39 AM
link   
" Doomsday Clock ", what a ridiculous notion - not to mention meaningless in all reality.

So it's 2 mins to midnight - So What ????? It's been that for ages.
Truth is if a true representation was to be established in relation to Doomsday senarios then it should be set at 30 secs to midnight for as long as it takes the human race to wake up to itself.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Just who are these little boys that play about with nuclear toys? Who are they to say what time it is? Well my clock says 10 minutes past 11 and I've got a white coat, so I'm a scientist and I'm right.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:19 AM
link   
It doesn't even look like a direct confrontation with Iran is going to occur anytime soon.

When has "the Doomsday Clock" ever been accurate in recent history...

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Congratulations! You have now been introduced to another method used to keep you scared and dependent on the Government

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   

The fact we haven't destroyed ourselves yet might be the best evidence extraterrestrials exist by stopping us for using The Bomb every 5 to 10 years.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Good.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   
"since 1947" ??

Time to bring the cows home in New Mexico, objects will start falling from the sky ... cue the pilot from far away:

The Doomsday Clock is close again -- so let's auger this baby in!

Cheers

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I think it was us who stopped us.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRepublicOfCanada
It doesn't even look like a direct confrontation with Iran is going to occur anytime soon.

When has "the Doomsday Clock" ever been accurate in recent history...

really?

I dunno, sure looks like the US and Saudi are setting the stage to blame iran for something and hit them!

As for the clock, you could say its never been wrong!.. no nuclear war and no midnight.

(post by Sillyolme removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Up and running three days later.

And a year later the three eyed babies started being born.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

You'll be fine in your Levis.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

trump is dumb enough.
He is just itching to blow something up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join