It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Rule Would Penalize Immigrants For Needing Benefits

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Immigration is when someone chooses to come to the United States (or any other country) because they want to be a part of the United States. Asylum (or refugee) is when one comes to another country (like the United States) because they cannot go back to their country without dying. Invasion is when one comes to another country to take what that other country has.

Just replying because so many people don't understand this!!

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.npr.org...

The Trump administration is moving forward with regulations that are expected to dramatically reshape the U.S. immigration system by denying green cards and visas to immigrants who use — or are expected to use — a wide range of federal, state and local government benefits, including food stamps, housing vouchers and Medicaid.

I just love how this article is worded. "Penalize". Immigration supporters call it cruel!! CRUEL! Funny how they don't find that it is cruel to the US taxpayer, paying for these costs. They are trying to spin this into a racial thing. This is not racist. This makes sense. We want immigrant, we just want quality immigrants that have something to add to our country. Why is that wrong?

If you come to a country, any country and cannot support yourself, you are basically a burden. For those that say with the right tools/education they could be "something". Well, maybe they need to try that in their own country.

There are some articles on the internet right now that are popular about Americans wanting to go abroad, because they are scared/tired/too stupid to live here. What I find absolutely freaking hilarious is that many of these "enlightened" countries have income and work requirements...

Okay you have your blow...can you then find out the statistical summation as to how good or bad immigrant workers actually are, and what the contribution is to the US?...did the administration actually quote figures?
Just a thought...Oh! did I forget the refugees....ooooh, some quite celebrated refugees welcomed into America in the past, while I see you have had your faux pas already corrected by another poster

Josef Albers, Artist
Hannah Arendt, Philosopher and Author
Mikhail Baryshnikov, Dancer
Max Beckmann, Artist
Hans Bethe, Physicist and Nobel Laureate
W. Michael Blumenthal, Former Secretary of Treasury, IRC Overseer
Nadia Comaneci, Olympic gymnast
Salvador Dali, Artist
The Dalai Lama, Leader-in-exile and Nobel Laureate
Peter Drucker, Author and Management Consultant
Max Ernst, Artist
Lion Feuchtwanger, Author
Andy Garcia, Actor
Alexander Ginsburg, Russian dissident during the Cold War
Roberto Goizuetta, Former CEO of Coca Cola
Walter Gropius, Artist
George Grosz, Artist
Andrew S. Grove, Chairman of Intel Corp., IRC Overseer
Henry Grunwald, former Editor-in-Chief, Time Inc.,
John Heartfield, Artist
Thich Nhat Hanh, Zen Buddhist Master
Wassily Kandinsky, Artist
Henry Kissinger, Former Secretary of State, IRC Overseer
John G. Kemeny, Computer pioneer and President of Dartmouth College from 1970-81
Andre Kertesz, Photographer
Oskar Kokoschka, Artist
Madeleine Kunin, former U.S. Ambassador to Switzerland, former Governor of Vermont
Mila Kunis, Actress
Tom Lantos, U.S. Congressman (Calif)
Fernand Leger, Artist
Jacques Lipchitz, Artist
Andre Masson, Artist
Andre Meyerhoff, Scientist and Nobel Laureate
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Architect
Rita Ora, Singer
Dith Pran, Photographer
Gen. John Shalikashvili, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Author
much more, and very productive people...Meh! in the main making any distinction is not in the tradition of the USA, since it is built on migrants of all kinds.

Methinks these brown hemorrhages that emanate from D.J.Trump's brain, are having a serious effect on the populace....well, in some places.

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
Posting work written by others
edit on Tue Aug 13 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This rule is simply enforcing rules that already exist to stop immigrants from applying for Government benefits.

Here in Canada, LEGAL immigrants can't apply for any sort of Government assistance for 5 years after they arrive. When they apply for immigration status, they must prove that they can support themselves for this period. If they can't support themselves, then their sponsor becomes liable for this support.

Refugees are a different system entirely, they usually arrive with nothing and can claim assistance immediately. True refugees are not normally refused.

It's not acceptable for immigrants to come to another country and then rely on Government assistance, before they've even paid into the system that's supporting them.

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: JAGStorm

So basically trump is trying to make our immigration system like every other western country's.
What exactly is the problem?
I would not be allowed to move to Canada without having a job already arranged and I can guarantee it would have to be in a skilled field.

Do you have a source on this?

I would love to move to Canada as I have skills!

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This thread has been funny to watch.

AMERICA: I want an immigration system like Canada's.

CANADIANS: You are SO racist!

AMERICA: Umm, okay. How about Australia's?

EUROPEANS: OMG! You are so racist!

It's like watching a tiny little marching band and everyone in the band knows just one note. And that note is "reee".

And they have kazoos.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny
This reminds me of the “she keeps having kids for more welfare!!” BS..

No one ever had a kid for welfare...

You would be wrong there. There is a couple in my hometown who keeps having kids every couple of years because doing so means they can keep bringing in benefits, and, as long as they have a young child at home, she doesn't have to go out and get a job which is part of the agreement when you sign up for said benefits.

At the moment, the husband has a job, but should he ever lose that job, she'll go right back to living off government handouts and quite likely they'll have yet another kid. (They currently have five.)

There are plenty of people out there that have found ways to game the system. May not be lucrative, but it obviously works for them well enough to survive.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 12:13 AM
link   

This is an old rule from 6 years ago that was never enforced. It's being updated and implemented soon.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

You just posted a list of legal refugees who supported themselves.

We are talking about illegal invaders who abuse government assistance.

I can post a list of YouTube videos featuring puppies...

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny
That means the only immigrants we get are the wealthy ones, legally at least

So, now you define 'wealthy' as simply being willing and able to support yourself and your family?

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Penalize seems an appropriate word , if people move to America and take menial jobs with low pay like working as a cleaner or as hospitality in a golf resort for example they will be treated as second class citizens by the state as well as the people.

If the extent of their skillset means 'menial' jobs - what, exactly, do you expect?

Do we treat the people who do this now as second class citizens?

Are all immigrants bad now ?

Only the ones that break our laws.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
I wonder how much better off you would be if the super rich paid the taxes they should pay in proportion to their earnings.

Lets say I make $100,000 taxable income one year, and for simplicity, I pay 20% in federal income tax - that means I pay $20,000 in taxes.

Now, lets say some 'rich' guy makes $1,000,000 taxable income the same year. If he paid at the same rate that I paid, he would pay $200,000 in federal income tax. That is 10 times what I paid.

But, in our communistic based 'graduated' income tax system, lets say he pays 40% - that would be $400,000 - 20 times what I paid.

So... how much is his 'fair share'?

Personally, I think the graduated system - and anyone who supports it - is disgusting.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   

If you are going to come up with a list like that, you might want to do a little research.

#1, many of these people were REFUGEES - see TheRednecks post above yours.

#2, I personally knew General. John Malchase David Shalikashvili. YES PERSONALLY. I know his full name because
I had to introduce him, and I spent weeks memorizing his entire long name. I will never forgot what he whispered in my ear that day. Never!!! When my parents told me he died, I was heartbroken.

He would be rolling in his GRAVE if he knew you used his fine name in your idiotic post!

edit on 13-8-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

You just posted a list of legal refugees who supported themselves.

We are talking about illegal invaders who abuse government assistance.

I can post a list of YouTube videos featuring puppies...

TheRedneck

I think the other part is legal immigration that meets a standard we set as to what we want. We all know we need immigration, but like just about EVERY other country we should set standards. People need to also understand that illegals cost us 100 billion per year BEYOND and taxes they might create by being here. I wonder how far would 100 billion go towards our own homeless population, border security etc?

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

So... how much is his 'fair share'?

Personally, I think the graduated system - and anyone who supports it - is disgusting.

Or how much does it cost to be an American? I pay 40k per year in fed taxes and others pay a lot less, but if I found legal ways to reduce that down I would bet people would complain I'm not paying my "fair share" when others "fair share" is zero.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar
Should the US shut its border to them, as well?

Fair is fair, right?

Those people in Hong Kong have more right to ask for asylum in the U.S., and in other countries, than the majority of the people flooding our borders. They should still be vetted, but if China turns to violence, like they have done time and time again in the past, a lot of those people will seek asylum elsewhere.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   

You are right op, btw when my parents and I immigrated LEGALLY into the U.S. we were asked how we were going to live, and where. We stayed with my uncle/aunt until my father could get a job, which occurred within a month of arriving in the U.S. I was still a minor, but after school and on holidays worked for Toys R' Us, and later worked for Pier 1 imports. I went to job interviews in my bicycle, which was also my transportation to go to school with my best friend. We didn't get any help whatsoever from the U.S. government. I worked since I was 17 years old, and if we had arrived earlier would have worked earlier too.

I think it was Bill Clinton whom stopped immigration from asking those questions to immigrants, which is weird because it makes sense to ask those questions.

edit on 13-8-2019 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 11:15 PM
link   
"He's only going after the illegal immigrants!"

"He's only going after the poor immigrants!"

"He's only going after the...immigrants! They're not even real Americans!"

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Look, we need to call most of them what they actually are "economic Invaders" and somehow we should make it difficult so they do not to want to come here! bring troops home and use them to guard the borders, make them stand shoulder to shoulder to protect our great nation, US Citizen's first

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: links234
"He's only going after the illegal immigrants!"

"He's only going after the poor immigrants!"

"He's only going after the...immigrants! They're not even real Americans!"

What do you mean "not real American's" hell north American or south American is still American isn't it!!

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: mtnshredder

They arent getting a free ride. Where did I say that? Talk about hysteria here.

If they have a Visa or education scholarship or hmmm paid for the education. They cant work obviously how else they going to study?
Like I said, rich folk only.

When my daughter was in college, she met a number of students there on student visas. They were not rich, they had American sponsors. They were not rich either, simple middle class Americans who volunteered to temporarily assist and be responsible for them while they were becoming educated in America.

More who scream this is unfair and will hinder the poor and oppressed, should step up and be personally responsible themselves by sponsoring.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join