It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just In: Chicago Lawmaker Encourages Residents To Obtain Conceal License

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This was a surprising read, concerning a Chicago politician (State Rep. La Shawn Ford), who not long ago (Feb 2019) advocated for tougher federal gun laws:

What is your position on tightened state and federal gun laws? The federal laws need to be stronger on the states surrounding the State of Illinois, and the federal government needs to be part of these discussions. We also need more tightened laws on the weapons possessed by CPD.

Should the state license gun shops and require monitoring cameras in sales areas? Interesting proposal, I don’t know. My focus would be on negotiation of surrounding states (Indiana and Wisconsin) to toughen their gun sales laws. And if negotiations failed, I would work with our state’s federal delegation to work on pressuring these states.

LINK

However, after a deadly weekend (eight people killed and 32 others wounded) this past weekend in Chicago, Ford is now "encouraging his residents to arm themselves against the violence."

After another violent weekend that saw eight people killed and at least 32 others wounded, one lawmaker is taking action by encouraging his constituents to arm themselves.

Ford tells The Mancow Show on WLS-AM 890 that he is encouraging his residents to arm themselves against the violence. “I think about it all the time,” Ford said of the shootings that plague his community. “That’s why I’m working with a concealed carry instructor and we’re going to go through the neighborhood and we’re going to encourage people to get their concealed carry license because it makes no sense for people not to have the protections that they need.”

Amen to that Mr. Ford. About time you understand this:

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I think rather than spending all this time and energy worrying about who can get guns, perhaps making gun safety and responsible gun ownership a priority would provide good results. Unless results aren't what the agenda is looking for.......

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   

From across the pond looking in, I think CC should be encouraged in Chicago.

If I lived in a city that has hundreds if not thousands of shootings per year, I would want protection.

Stay safe.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   
He is approaching the problem wrong and misinterpreting the data...

Concealed carry is not the issue, nor is it the solution.

Almost all the shootings in Chicago are gang-related. Both victim and shooter are usually gang affiliated. These are not robberies, car jackings, etc. It is one kid from a certain block shooting at his "opps" from another block.

Neither the victim or shooter would qualify for CCW.

The solution involves figuring out why young black males feel the need to shoot and kill others. Until we start having those conversations, the carnage will continue. We have to start talking about single mothers, failing education system, and more importantly, the culture of these communities.

Personally, I think the short term solution is to have a no nonsense policy in regards to being caught with illegal firearms. I mean you will be doing some hard time. RIght now, a lot of these guys get slaps on the wrist because in most cases they are under 18.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Concealed carry is not the issue, nor is it the solution. Almost all the shootings in Chicago are gang-related. Both victim and shooter are usually gang affiliated. These are not robberies, car jackings, etc. It is one kid from a certain block shooting at his "opps" from another block.

I would have 100% agreed with this 5-10 years ago, but that crime is flooding into the burbs. (I hear about it all the time from friends/family).Even the far northern burbs. There has always been crime there, but now it is much more prevalent.
Not all of it is gang crime. I'm sure a lot of Chicago crime is gang related, but other stuff is happening now.
edit on 16-7-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   

A solution? No, it's not. But it's a step towards allowing the innocent to, at the least, protect themselves while a solution is sought.

Personally, I can't imagine living in a city like Chicago and not having a CCP. Proper training is, of course, appropriate when getting a concealed carry permit.

Of course, I can't imagine living in a city like Chicago,, at all. Or New York. Miami. Seattle. You get my point...
. I'm a country boy back in the country.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

A solution? No, it's not. But it's a step towards allowing the innocent to, at the least, protect themselves while a solution is sought.

Personally, I can't imagine living in a city like Chicago and not having a CCP. Proper training is, of course, appropriate when getting a concealed carry permit.

Of course, I can't imagine living in a city like Chicago,, at all. Or New York. Miami. Seattle. You get my point...

You aren't understanding what I am saying...

CCW is irrelevant because unless you are a gang banger or "running in the streets" you aren't likely to be a victim here. The "victims" are gang members. The shooters are gang members. There aren't a lot of innocents being shot. It isn't a situation where if victim A just had a CCW he could defend himself. It is more like the victim was already packing illegally and even if he wasn't, his prior felonies would prevent him being a CCW holder. The victim is being shot at because he reps maybe Black Disciples instead of Gangsta Disciples or any of other dozens of off shoot gangs.

These are not random shootings.

All the violence you hear about in Chicago is mostly contained within a few neighborhoods and it involves gang members.

By in large, Chicago is a very safe city. This is not to say I don't support CCW, but CCW is completely irrelevant to the topic in the OP.

CCW implies you are minding your business and maybe someone tries to car jack you. You can defend yourself. I agree... but that is not what is happening in the vast majority of the violence you hear about in Chicago hence why CCWs are irrelevant to the discussion.

edit on 16-7-2019 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2019 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   

No. I understand perfectly, and I agree with you.

You're right, the solution to the problem being, sort of, addressed by this pols suggestion isn't what this pol is suggesting.

It lies, the solution, along a different road entirely.

It lies, if there is one, with those very gangs, and the members...they have to want to change, to be something different, something better... Until that happens, the innocents around them are going to have to do what they can to protect themselves...which includes CCP's and the training that should go along with it. You can't make 'em want to change, that has to come from them.

We back on the same page, I hope??

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   

It never fails... Democrat controlled cities are always the highest in gun crime and the strictest in gun control.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Chicago Lawmaker Encourages Residents To Obtain Conceal License

This has to be a trap.
(Bold by me for reference only)

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Right there with you... My parents moved me and my sister out of Shreveport, as it was becoming more intolerable and higher in crime, on July 4, 1985. We moved to the outskirts of a 3 square mile town and grew up there. I ended up buying a place 5 houses down which is 3/4 of a mile away. Nary will I ever live in a city.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   

No. I understand perfectly, and I agree with you.

You're right, the solution to the problem being, sort of, addressed by this pols suggestion isn't what this pol is suggesting.

It lies, the solution, along a different road entirely.

It lies, if there is one, with those very gangs, and the members...they have to want to change, to be something different, something better... Until that happens, the innocents around them are going to have to do what they can to protect themselves...which includes CCP's and the training that should go along with it. You can't make 'em want to change, that has to come from them.

We back on the same page, I hope??

I think where we are hung up on disagreement is that there are innocents around that need defending that require CCWs. I think you over estimate that point. Yes, like any big city, we have our share of random violence where a CCW could help. However, that is not the majority, nor is it what is typically being referred to when talking about people being shot or violence in Chicago.

The media loves to gloss over the "victims" affiliations. Trust me when I tell you it isn't honor roll students being gunned down every weekend.

I support CCW, but I have very little fear of being robbed, etc. I don't live in the bad neighborhoods, I don't gang bang, nor do I hang out in areas that would attract those types. The odds are very very low. Most of the CCW people I see are no where near any real crime. I'm sure it make them feel better, but statistically, they have little to worry about.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Ah, OK, I was misunderstanding you slightly... My bad. 😢

Agreed, CCW permits are not for everyone. You being from Chicago, you've a better grasp on the situation than I do, my last time in Chicago was in '92. So, yeah...I'll bow to your better knowledge base. Not to mention my innate bias against large cities...my definition of large city will tell anyone of that bias. ((Seagull's definition of large city=5,000 people, or more...)) 😋
edit on 7/16/2019 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I am with you on trying to figure out why these young men think it's an OK idea to shoot each other. It bothers me a great deal. It bothers me even more it gets so little attention outside of Chicago.

I would argue CC is not a poor idea for those living in the middle. Yes a lot of the murder is gangbanger on gangbanger but there is a healthy amount of crime otherwise which needs to be recognized.

If I live in Chicago and cannot or will not move elsewhere, I am looking out for myself.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I've talked about this before on ATS so the story may be redundant, but when I visited Trenton NJ with a friend who grew up there (he's black, I'm white) it was total culture shock.

While my friend and i were hanging out on one of his old buddies stoops and just shootin the s41t and getting aquainted, shots starting ringing out about a half block or so up the street.

I hit the pavement and covered my head. Once the shooting stopped, I got up and everyone just started laughing at my reaction to the gunfire.

That experience showed me how common the gang violence is. The locals, as well as my friend didn't even flinch. Just another day in Trenton I guess.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Make Illinois a open carry state like so many other states around it. If you want to hide it then get a CCL.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Better late than never.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine

I've talked about this before on ATS so the story may be redundant, but when I visited Trenton NJ with a friend who grew up there (he's black, I'm white) it was total culture shock.

While my friend and i were hanging out on one of his old buddies stoops and just shootin the s41t and getting aquainted, shots starting ringing out about a half block or so up the street.

I hit the pavement and covered my head. Once the shooting stopped, I got up and everyone just started laughing at my reaction to the gunfire.

That experience showed me how common the gang violence is. The locals, as well as my friend didn't even flinch. Just another day in Trenton I guess.

It is like that in urban communities all over the country. Lord of the Flies. People shooting at each other over nothing...

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: seaswine

It is like that in urban communities all over the country. Lord of the Flies. People shooting at each other over nothing...

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Trenton is nowhere near the size of Chicago, L.A. and numerous other cities. I can only imagine how bad things must get in the BIG cities.

I don't think it has anything to do with the color of ones skin. It is all about the environment. There's a solution to the problem... but I don't know what the answer is.
edit on 16-7-2019 by seaswine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seaswine

It's cultural as much as anything else. Even if they were offered better jobs they would not want to leave the gang lifestyle. Parents are in the gang and bring their kids up to be in the gang. One of my professors was doing a research project in NJ, the goal was to offer alternatives for kids to enjoy activities and not get pulled into gangs. Parents refused to sign their kids up because they were gang members and they wanted their kids in the gangs too.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join