It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Several US military bases causing cancer & making Americans sick

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Military personnel, veterans, their families, and even just civilians - like everybody living anywhere on or in the vicinty of several bases across the country - are facing a high rate of cancer as well as ills.

www.military.com...

Residents Near 8 Military Bases to Be Tested for Chemical Tied to Cancer

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, along with the federal agency responsible for investigating environmental threats, will begin assessing residents near eight active and former military bases for exposure to chemicals found in firefighting foam and other products. The CDC, along with the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), will check for exposure to per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, referred to as PFAS compounds, which have been linked to infertility, immune disorders, developmental delays in children and some cancers.

www.theguardian.com...

A trail of toxicity: the US military bases making people sick

businesses are suing the military for perfluorinated compounds, which some are calling ‘Agent Orange 2.0’

Investigations are finding these sicknesses are caused by chemicals in water, soil, and facilities samples.

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: letni

Duh...

I don't like living within a country mile of a military base, for decades nobody told them not to pour oil, hydraulic fluid or av gas into the grass.

you couldn't pay me to live on a base, bad enough living near one.. every base I have been on has at least 1 spot the EPA has to check at least once a year to make sure containment is working.

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 10:14 PM
link   

The Army also plans to replace its stockpiles and to incinerate the PFAS-containing foams.

I read that sentence near the end of the military.com article.

Thinking to myself the foam is used to extinguish fires but to dispose of it they are going to incinerate the foam.

???

Sounds silly to me but whatever works.

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I lived at several on post housing and never experienced any "sickness".

Although, those old houses at Schoefield Barracks is practically layers of toxic lead paint.

Great view of the mountain next to Area X, where my house was located. Island of Oahu.

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4891morfih

The Army also plans to replace its stockpiles and to incinerate the PFAS-containing foams.

I read that sentence near the end of the military.com article.

Thinking to myself the foam is used to extinguish fires but to dispose of it they are going to incinerate the foam.

???

Sounds silly to me but whatever works.

Everything incinerates at a specific temp

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I know I was just saying it was a bit ironic that was the best way to dispose of the stuff.

Edit - I would imagine the least expensive.
edit on 8-7-2019 by 4891morfih because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4891morfih
a reply to: Gothmog

I know I was just saying it was a bit ironic that was the best way to dispose of the stuff.

Edit - I would imagine the least expensive.

Yep. Fire is cheap

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I never lived on post when I was in.

For the same reasons.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Another problem is the number of suicides caused by careless overuse of pesticides to kill bedbugs, lice etc. When you're handling lethal weapons, carefully following the instructions on a container of pesticide seems unimportant.

Pesticide overuse was common and at times extreme, particularly among ground troops

“It also seems reasonable that people in environments with large numbers of insects such as the Persian Gulf, would be tempted to use whatever means was available to remove pests, including using products in ways that were not recommended.”
www.publichealth.va.gov...

Recent research has linked long-term use of pesticides to higher rates of depression and suicide. Evidence also suggests that pesticide poisoning – a heavy dose in a short amount of time – doubles the risk of depression.
www.scientificamerican.com...

Same kind of attitude as pouring various fluids into the grass.

new topics

top topics

join