It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran puts forward bill to charge a toll for safe passage through Hormuz Straits

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ressiv
yeaa sanctions aka blackmail had its best time …..bet the usa are sanction thereself douwn in time ..

what would happen if china should stop all import and export to the usa….

Their economy would be dead immediately and they would likely face a full scale rebellion.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Agit8dChop

They're responding to moves by the US and its "allies" , there isn't much they can do but you expect them to just sit back and do nothing while the US destroy their economy ?

The direction of travel is almost as obvious as those forcing it.

Yea, it is tit for tat.
We place sanctions on them and say, you cannot trade with us or any other country.
Iran says, fine, if we cannot trade, then you cannot travel without paying a fee.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: ressiv
yeaa sanctions aka blackmail had its best time …..bet the usa are sanction thereself douwn in time ..

what would happen if china should stop all import and export to the usa….

The United states would stop all imports of food and chemicals to China.
They need the money...

We would be hurt more than China.
99% of the goods we buy still are labeled as made in China.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001
Try 15%.

And we'd survive. China wouldn't. It would be bad for the US you are wrong who would be hurt more.
edit on 25-6-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61

originally posted by: roadgravel
Iran is providing security?

I see. Pay us or your tanker may encounter a mine.

I think that's called extortion.

The Sanctions we impose are worse.
I run Acme Corporation and one of my competitors says I cannot trade not only with them, but with anyone else.
They threaten others they may want to trade with me as well.

Iran's example would be more like, you can trade with anyone but you must pay us a fee.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Yes , Iranian Trolls Exist !

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: jacobe001
Try 15%.

And we'd survive. China wouldn't. It would be bad for the US you are wrong who would be hurt more.

I find the state department quoted number hard to believe.
How many countries are buying Chinese goods and relabeling them to sell to us?

www.nytimes.com...

The Yangshan port in Shanghai. To avoid tariffs on exports from China, brokers there arrange transshipments, which make a stop in another country on the way to their destinations to disguise the origin of the goods.

I think a better gauge on our ability to stand on our own, is how many consumer goods are made in the USA vs elsewhere?

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I don't think Iran will get many customers for its "security business" while Uncle Sam and his Navy in the area.

I imagine the Iranians will block the straight with warships till they get paid their toll then move aside to let them pass,but might be tricky since its international waters.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
This is funny.
Yesterday, in another thread, a poster blamed the US for running a protection racket in the Strait of Hormuz.

Ya know, I can't argue with it. If that's got any truth to it at all, then what's good for the US goose is good for the Iranian gander here.

Besides that, it actually makes shrewd financial sense seeing as how we're mucking with the right to do business with whomever you please & going all unofficial blockade on them with China.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

wouldnt this be covered under freedom of the seas which historically europe and usa take pretty seriously? ,guess we could take a page out of the chinese book and build an island(mostly kidding) but no way this goes well for iran

www.meed.com... might be the thing that finally motivates saudi to build that canal they been talking about since 2015

The proposed 150 metre-wide and 25 metre-deep canal would cross land reaching 700 metres above sea level and allow oil tankers to avoid the Strait Hormuz while halving the distance they travel to the open sea, while add the same time adding hundreds of kilometres to waterfront land to be developed. If it goes ahead, the project would be the largest infrastructure scheme in the region costing an estimated $80bn to complete. By way of comparison, the contracts for the first six lines of the Riyadh Metro network that are currently under construction have a total value of about $22bn. The UAE has also reportedly considered plans for a canal to bypass the Strait of Hormuz. In 2008, it was reported that officials were looking at a proposal to build a 180-kilometre long canal from the Gulf across the Hajjar Mountains and out into the Gulf of Oman from Fujairah on the east coast of the UAE.
pretty sure the saudis have money for these kind of projects and we could try to get the construction contracts ,then the Saudis could "charge a toll"

gulfnews.com... could give trump a nice talking point for the election "were gonna help build a canal and the saudi's are gonna pay for it" lol but in all seriousness the bin-laden family would probably get the contract

“The canal will have a main course across Saudi Arabia and Yemen; however, we have thought of Oman as an alternative for Yemen if the country suffers political instability,” he said. Kuwait, Qatar, and the UAE could export their oil through this canal up to the Arabian Sea, thus avoiding the Strait of Hormuz, he added. According to the map, the canal will begin in the area near Bahrain and Qatar or in western UAE.
pretty sure they would bypass yemen with this one though

moderndiplomacy.eu...

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   
What if the US does nothing?
My guess is that Iran won't disrupt shipping oil to China because they damage themselves. What is happening is that as the Iranian government gets more desperate, they come up with more and more radical ideas. Eventually, they will trigger a rebellion of the people already chafing from the medieval Theocracy that they are living under.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join