It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAA bans U.S. carriers from parts of Persian Gulf airspace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Interesting...

The Federal Aviation Administration on Thursday night prohibited U.S. air carriers from flying in Iranian-controlled airspace over the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, as tensions between the U.S. and Iran continue to escalate. "All flight operations in the over water area of the Tehran flight information region ... are prohibited until further notice," the agency said in a statement. The FAA cited "heightened military activity" and "increased political tensions in the region." The FAA said the no-fly zone was being established to prevent an inadvertent shoot down of a passenger plane.

www.marketwatch.com...

I remember flying over Iran/Iraq border recently on my way to Doha, it was a great hour or so looking out the window.
I never even thought of the prospect of a accidental shoot down. I guess times are changing, quickly!

Surely Iran wouldnt be dumb enough to shoot down a passenger airliner..

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Intentionally, no. But accidents can always happen.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   

No US carriers fly to Middle East destinations so I'm curious what routes may overfly the area and on which routes.

edit on 20-6-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: network dude has no beer

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Quite a few US owned aircraft fly over or right next to Iran every year. Most are privately owned or chartered, but a few carriers parallel the border.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

No US carriers fly to Middle East destinations so I'm curious what routes may overfly the area and on which routes.

Emirates flies from Doha to Amsterdam/Paris over Iran/Iraq
sorry you said US, I wasnt flying from the US but Australia.
edit on 20/6/19 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
Interesting...

The Federal Aviation Administration on Thursday night prohibited U.S. air carriers from flying in Iranian-controlled airspace over the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, as tensions between the U.S. and Iran continue to escalate. "All flight operations in the over water area of the Tehran flight information region ... are prohibited until further notice," the agency said in a statement. The FAA cited "heightened military activity" and "increased political tensions in the region." The FAA said the no-fly zone was being established to prevent an inadvertent shoot down of a passenger plane.

www.marketwatch.com...

I remember flying over Iran/Iraq border recently on my way to Doha, it was a great hour or so looking out the window.
I never even thought of the prospect of a accidental shoot down. I guess times are changing, quickly!

Actually back in the 1980's during the "tanker war" it was the U.S. who shot down a civilian airliner.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

a symbolic act ? and a warning to others ?

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

So... Are we going to destroy the source of the missile that shot down our global hawk or what?? I'm all for war now man, let's at least destroy the source of the missile, their news says it was one of the 3rd kordad. Let's blow up that, and maybe five more.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I'm not a radar expert but how easy it would it be to pick out a US airliner from this lot, this screen shot was taken just now and it's relatively quiet I've seen Iran airspace a lot busier than this what would be the chances of them hitting something else

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: Zaphod58

So... Are we going to destroy the source of the missile that shot down our global hawk or what?? I'm all for war now man, let's at least destroy the source of the missile, their news says it was one of the 3rd kordad. Let's blow up that, and maybe five more.

They shot down a drown but no lives were lost. There must be something else we could do. We should save the bombing for something more sinister than this.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 05:21 AM
link   
imagine if another airliner went down and the US then blamed Iran, aka MH17 and Russia...

poetic considering Iran Air 655

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   

imagine if another airliner went down and the US then blamed Iran, aka MH17 and Russia...

poetic considering Iran Air 655

I don't see how it's possible. The only destinations in the area US carriers fly to are Tel Aviv, which is too far away, and locations in India which, if memory serves, has the route coming in over the pole or well north of Iran.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
You might not have US carriers themselves flying over Iran but you do have flights from the USA that fly over Iran which more than likely has a good number of Americans on board. As I type their are two Emirates A380s slap bang in the middle of Iran one from LA and the other San Francisco

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   
A United 777-300 on a positioning flight had to go from Mumbai- Honolulu-Newark because of the restriction. Fifteen and a half hours just to get to Honolulu.

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
A United 777-300 on a positioning flight had to go from Mumbai- Honolulu-Newark because of the restriction. Fifteen and a half hours just to get to Honolulu.

Just one small example of how we can imagine such moves are not taken lightly, nor made without good reason.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4891morfih

Interesting...

www.marketwatch.com...

Actually back in the 1980's during the "tanker war" it was the U.S. who shot down a civilian airliner.

Did you know the bodies found look like they were dead before the shoot down? Did you know the IFF was showing a f-14 as well? It was a set up.

new topics

top topics

join