It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Bans WHAT?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 04:32 AM
link   
From USA Today:

New York lawmakers on Wednesday passed a ban on "gay panic" and "trans panic" defenses in homicide cases, looking to end what advocates say are discriminatory legal strategies.

The bill will prevent perpetrators from justifying murder as a response to discovering a victim's sexual orientation, gender identity or related characteristics.

OK, let me get this straight... people have been using the defense "I found out they were gay" to justify murder? Where did this come from?

I don't have a problem with this law... at all. I do have a problem with killing anyone over finding out they are gay or trans. If I were in a red light district and picked up a "woman" who later on turned out to be a man, yeah, I would probably go all redneck on their rear and land them in the hospital. But kill them? Nope, sorry, that's too far.

I would like to see an accompanying law that makes it illegal to falsely advertise gender or orientation for purposes of a relationship, but that is enough. Where are we socially when it is acceptable to kill another person because they did something one finds disgusting? is this really a thing? Maybe someone in New York can explain this to me. Surely there's more to this than what I am thinking there is?

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I know it happened in the Philippines. US military person stationed there killed his "girlfriend" after discovering it was a guy.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 04:58 AM
link   

The first thing I thought of was some Muslim family killing their son or daughter so maybe this is a good thing ?

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I know it happened in the Philippines. US military person stationed there killed his "girlfriend" after discovering it was a guy.

Sounds like a " crying game" type of scenario. Art imitating life or vice a versa.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I don't see why there should be any seperation of specifics of committing the act of murder based on who you kill. If it isn't self defense and you intentionally kill someone else, it's murder. Have perpetrators actually attempted to justify murder based on their response to discovering a victim's sexual orientation, gender identity or related characteristics? Better yet, has it actually worked in their defense? Does it make a difference in conviction rates or is this just another attempt to rewrite sentencing guidelines? Doesn't New York have bigger problems on their hands.....like homelessness, drug addiction and illegal immigrants?

And more issues that haven't been acted upon that were promised:

New York Health Act, the proposed single-payer healthcare plan backed by almost all Democrats in the Assembly and Senate, and financial support for his [Cuomo] fiscally beleaguered host, the state university system.

I guess it's all about priorities or the lack of them. More and more, New York just comes across as 'ban happy' . Is it really making NY better or is it all just micro managing the people and a pain in the arse for the general public.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I don't agree with the transgender classification or indeed the "Trans agenda", but even I do not agree with this "panic defence". Recipe for madness. Could be misused. Slippery, slippery slope...

A simple break-up or walking away wouldn't suffice, you have to go and break someone's neck or shoot them dead and cry "panic" as a defence? Don't buy it... Imagine an already incarcerated criminal killing someone he doesn't like in prison and then falsely using the "panic defence". Nope, don't buy it.
edit on 20-6-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 05:49 AM
link   
The rules are simple when you are ‘caught out’ by such an event.

‘Play it where it lays’

You can’t assault someone just because they’re gay and they tried it on with you, even if they surprised you with ‘it’ just before the whistle blew.

You can either decline or, well, not decline. What happens in Vegas (or Bangkok)

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

The first thing I thought of was some Muslim family killing their son or daughter so maybe this is a good thing ?

Prosecuting muslims for honour killings is racist and bigoted. Remember?

(post by Carolinaclassics removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 05:56 AM
link   

I thought the same thing, which is why it will be overturned, in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Just another sexual stereotype. Like the one that assumes that all homosexual males molest little boys.
Sure its happened but most trannys want men who what their type. They are not out to fool a sexual partner. For one the outcome would probably never be oh your a dude okay lets continue. They'd never get laid.
And a tranny prostitute.... she knows who her customer is and her customer knows her. Nothing is being revealed under the sheets.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I can see people using the discovery as a justification, my question is if it were accepted as a valid reason by the court? That would be the true problem to sort out.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I thought the same thing, which is why it will be overturned, in my opinion.

I agree

If there’s so much as a whisper that this law will impact on the oh-so-sacred-and-infallible beliefs of muslims, it will be overturned without hesitation

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   
A law against using words in court before a jury of one's peers in a legal defense?

Not sure I agree wit that.

I say leave it up to a jury as to whether or not your defense is adequate.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

That is true. The state is saying that you cannot use a defense if charged with a crime.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Ehrm.
I thought he was a metrosexual, so I killed him.
Don’t need none of that homo sapiens round here.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   
When I was stationed in Hawaii, we had a soldier arrested for assault after he punched a "girl" after discovering she had a stick shift during a make out session.

Normally, he would have been prosecuted under UMCJ after the local authorities got done with him, but our first sergeant refused to do anything about it.....mainly because he said he would have done the same thing.
edit on R102019-06-20T07:10:45-05:00k106Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Carolinaclassics

Really???

MODS! It's Morphine Time!!

Pteradactyl!

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   

How did this become a defense?

I thought murder was murder? Why should we make it more illegal somehow for this reason? Are gays and transpeople that more special why they get murdered?

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Blame the scumbag lawyers for pzushing this crap through...not a suprise those holding positions in government are still lawyers..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join