It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Don't say we didn't warn you".

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Molycorp is still 14 a share

If there stock prices start moving I'll start to worry

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Not really. Goes to show you didnt actually read my OP. Or just picked and choosed.

If trump is serious on taking on China he needs to go in this for the long haul which means setting up the next admin with proper international relations. If japan has access to this 'gold mine'of rare metals he should start now, and get California on this as well.

But, it wont happen since he cant even unite the nation he leads let alone building international ones since he just starts trade wars or slaps sanctions on all the ones that arent war mongers.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Not really. Goes to show you didnt actually read my OP. Or just picked and choosed.

If trump is serious on taking on China he needs to go in this for the long haul which means setting up the next admin with proper international relations. If japan has access to this 'gold mine'of rare metals he should start now, and get California on this as well.

He was just in Japan last week, if you don't believe this was among topics discussed, then your blinders are blocking your view. "Uniting the nation" in the US is about as feasible as herding cats. That's not all on Trump, as it takes 2 to dance and about half the country is too goddamned busy trying to stomp on the man's toes to grow up, STFU, and cowboy up to do their part to actually come together instead of constantly alternating between picking their ass, their nose, and fights with anyone who looks at them.

We are at a crossroads right now, Half of the US is progressing and will continue to do so. The trade battle with China is part of that progress. Those, including Americans, who continue to obstruct will get (in the words of Ludacris) "ranned the eff over." We will stop the train of progress long enough to squeege the bodies off the cow catcher, and the ride will then resume. Fact, deal with it, China's days of getting paid off the US are over.
ETA: I read your OP, I simply disagree with you, Learn the difference between being ignored and being disagreed with, as they are two totally different things and in convoluting the two, you serve as a great example of what I was saying about unity requiring both parties to actually look to unify.
edit on 29-5-2019 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I'm just waiting for the day when all the silver Ive been hoarding finally reaches the 10% of gold price that it always has been valued at historically.
Oh well a man can dream....

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackIbanez
I'm just waiting for the day when all the silver Ive been hoarding finally reaches the 10% of gold price that it always has been valued at historically.
Oh well a man can dream....

There is a part of my family tree that opens the silver mines at $19 an ounce and closes them at $12 an ounce.

So sorry, that's never going to happen again in the US.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
Next month and through July is going to open some eyes.

Especially the eyes of folks who think the economy is doing great.

Don't say you weren't warned.

Bingo. 40%.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackIbanez

Central Banks are buying precious metals, they are also suppressing the price. It doesn't take a genius to work out why.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

It is now speculated china will put tariffs on rare earth metals.

Only by those who don't understand what they're talking about.

China exports very, very few rare earth elements. They are not like steel or aluminum, which are used in great quantities as a building material. The rare earth elements are used in the production of other things. Here is a list of the various elements we're talking about, their uses, and where they come from:
  • Cerium - polishing compounds (silicon wafers, optical surfaces) and welding apps.

Actually quite common.

• Dysprosium - hard drives, lasers, metal-halide lighting, electric derive trains, wind turbines, nuclear control rods, etc.

Limited quantities available from Australia, but the bulk comes from China.

• Erbium - Medical lasers, nuclear control rods, optical communincations, cryogenics

Major supplier: China. Minor supplier: Sweden. Originally found in Sweden.

• Europium - CRT screens (obsolete), potential for quantum data storage (experimental)

Found in China and California.

• Gadolinium - X-rays, nuclear shielding, bubble memory, metallurgy, potential for refrigeration (experimental).

Found in China, the US, Brazil, Sri Lanka, India, and Australia, potential reserves in the Congo.

• Holium - Nuclear regulation, high-efficiency electric motors, solid state lasers, high-density memory (experimental)

Found in China, the United States, Brazil, India, Sri Lanka, and Australia.

• Lanthanum - Electric car batteries, welding, optical communication, metallurgy, medicine

Found in China, Sweden.

• Lutetium - Petroleum cracking, bubble memory, cancer therapy

Quite rare, found in China and Sweden.

• Neodymium - High-powered lasers, permanent magnets.

• Praseodymium - permanent magnets, optics.

Found in China and California.

• Promethium - Research only; few commercial applications

Obtained through radioactive decay.

• Samarium - Permanent magnets, catalyst, cancer treatment, X-ray lasers.

Found in China, the United States, Brazil, India, Sri Lanka and Australia.

• Scandium - Mainly used for aluminum alloys for airplanes.

Mined in China, Russia, and Ukraine

• Terbium - solid state electronics doping, medical technology, metallurgy

Found in China, new deposits found in Japan.

• Thulium - portable X-rays, solid-state lasers.

Quite rare, found in China, with smaller amounts in Australia, Brazil, Greenland, India, Tanzania, and the United States.

• Ytterbium - Atomic clocks, metallurgy (stainles steel), laser doping.

• Yttrium - LEDs, capacitors, lasers.

Found in Australia, Brazil, China, India, and the United States. New deposits recently found in Japan and on the moon.
If I buy a solar cell from China, I am buying the result of China's use of rare earth elements, not the rare earth elements themselves. I cannot buy a huge quantity of those rare earth elements directly from China; China restricts their sale outside of the country. That's why most electronics and high-tech toys are made in China. The production is so much cheaper, in large part because the materials used are cheap inside China (and of course, the labor is cheaper too, but we're not discussing Chinese labor practices).

So the very idea of China punishing anyone by placing tariffs on rare earth elements is absurd. China doesn't export rare earth elements. They export the result of their rare earth elements.

Burdman30ott06 had a good point as well: Japan just last year found some serious deposits of some of the most used rare earth elements. That in itself is a major blow to Chinese goals, since their entire economic goal is to become a superpower by restricting rare earth element availability as much as possible, sort of like DeBoers did with diamonds. And we've helped them in the West. All that pollution everyone worries about in China? A huge amount of it is due to their use of rare earths to manufacture our toys; all the rare earth elements are toxic! That could be one aspect that will give them an edge; we're afraid to get our hands dirty. If Chinese products are not available, who is going to take on the polluter role so we can have our nice electric cars, wind turbines, advanced medical treatments, lasers, and water treatment?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 04:49 AM
link   

What part did you disagree with? I never actually made any statement I was very unbiased and just reporting news. You put the biased twist on it.

Facts are facts, China might use rare metals as a bargaining chip, i even hinted to trumps visit in japan, that's it. Stop looking for arguments, and trying to one up what I said. Maybe, just maybe build upon the OP instead of creating a problem.
edit on 30-5-2019 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 04:49 AM
link   
The share prices for the Chinese companies mining rare earth sky rocketed.

Some one somewhere is making massive amounts of money from this trade war.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell
An interesting update today.
www.nytimes.com...

Today, in the United States, a government bond that’s due in three months will pay a higher rate than a government bond that is due in 10 years.

These occurrences, called inversions, are rare, and they have grabbed Wall Street’s attention for one simple reason: They have preceded every recession over the last 60 years (although some of those downturns took up to two years to materialize).

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I think some heads will explode if we actually look towards India as a replacement for Chinese goods.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   

It is now speculated china will put tariffs on rare earth metals. Which are important for most modern tech. They just so happen to produce over 80% of the worlds supply.

I guess it would be a big deal if they follow through with it.

I disagreed with this part and yes, you did take a position in this. It isn't going to be a "big deal," for the reasons I've already stated. China can go pound sand, they've already lost this tariff/trade war.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   

The part where I said "I guess" is making a based position.

Right... Keep up the good work as a mod who just makes arguments for argument sake in the name of your lord and savior Donald Trump and the Empire stronghold on planet earth known as the good o'l USA!

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Another benchmark that doomsayers use to time stock market falls is the 200 day moving average.
If stocks fall below the 200 day moving average it often triggers a flight to quality.
The S&P is currently just 1% above the 200 day moving average but where will it be in September?

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Frankly, if you're not saying China holds some sort of advantage here, then you'd have no beef with my posts in this thread. Your argumentativeness speaks loud and clear, though. You keep throwing that "you're a mod" business around, how's that working for you? Has it gained you a damn thing in these discussions? Seems about as effective as China trying to threaten the US on anything trade related, in other words, they're flailing because they're failing.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

It's the first time I've mentioned mod status. And clearly shows you're a partisan hack on a public internet forum, which represents this website.

China is in a trade war with the USA, which was initiated by the USA. I'm not for either side. It's just more back stepping for humanity as a whole. But we csnt ignore that China is putting up a fight and this whole trade war is causing a stir for everyone on this planet.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

So "not well" and "no" are your responses to the two questions I asked above? Got it.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Dude you're making me call a bluff on your mod status and you're boasting about it like you're invincible. And from the way things are going around here, yes you are.
Ats is a pro trump right wing stomping ground.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Has anyone looked at the retail statistics lately, since most of the drop off would effect Chinese goods,a trade war with China is a great way to fudge the figures. Everything including auto sales are falling off a cliff, simply because the American public is broke.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join