It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colombian Monkey-man attacks geologists in 1920 *picture*

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Hello everyone. In a cryptozoology book I own - "Mysterious Creatures" it has a page about a monkey-man that attacked a geologist named Francois de Loys in 1920. What do you guys think of this? Here is a pic and a link -

- Click here for article -

[Edited on 8-7-2003 by K_OS]

[Edited on 8-7-2003 by Megalodon]

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I'd rather not say.....

If for real, I'd say the guy was darn lucky he took this pic!!

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Thats a big monkey.
Im sure thiers creatures out thier that our world cannot imagine.
Deep

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Since de Loys, and his people have never seen such large monkeys, he wanted to preserve the carcass. When finally de Loys returned home with the only remaining evidence, the picture, which he had placed into his travel-notebook, he basically forgot about his encounter with the unknown monkeys. Years later his friend, French anthropologist Georges Montandon flipped the pages of de Loys' notebook, and discovered the photo. Montandon got an idea.

The above is from the article. I find de Loys reputed behavoir somewhat strange even for a geologist. If I just killed an example of a prevously unknown species of a large primate, I would definitely preserve the body for study. Futhermore, I would not take just one photograph and put it away in my notebook. What happened to the body? Surely de Loys could have preserved the skeleton. Why only the one picture? If I just discovered a new species, there be bunches of photographs, and I surely would not just forget about the whole affair until years later. Also what happened to de Loys companions when this primate was killed. Surely they could have been located and interviewed.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Many skeptics maintain that the above is actually a picture of a spider monkey. There is nothing in the photograph to try and assertain a size comparison with. If we knew for sure the size of the crate or stick, it would be a different matter.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I thought I would post a picture of a spider monkey in order to give a comparison of the 2. Frankly, I do not see the similarity, but judge for yourself,

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I would agree with Jag... Being a geologist, if I had shot something like that, I would have done my level best to document every detail I could. At the absolute very least, I would have photographed it from every possibly angle, including close ups on every anatomical feature I reasonably could. I would have weighed it and measured it in all possible dimensions.

As far as preserving it, considering that this is the 1920s, and in the field, I doubt that they had many options, although I do agree, it could have been possible to skin it and possibly preserve part of the skeleton (although likely the hide might be the only part to be preservable)

Although if it happened to me now, I would rack up serious expense having it frozen and transported to a zoologist.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 12:29 PM
link   
To me it looks like that spider monkey. We dont know the actaul dimensions of the photo so, it could be that small.

Or the specimin that he killed could've been a mutated or deformed type or a realtive of that monkey.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Couldn't they have put some goddamn pants on it?

As for the validity, not enough evidence of anything, whether in the story or the pic, to substantiate that this is indeed a real thing.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Looks like the "mermaid" picture I've seen. Fake, but still looked weird. I would have documented it, but get a diaper on it or something, cover up his wang. Anyways, could be a monkey man, or a monkey.

posted on Jul, 9 2003 @ 11:42 AM
link   
That actually is not his wang, but is her clitoris. In the article it says that this is one trait characteristic of spider monkeys, so it may perhaps be related.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Ok, it still is big and should be covered. Anyways, probably a fake. Sorry, but still reminds of the "mermaid.".

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   
This "photograph" is more like an elaborate illustration.

posted on Jul, 12 2003 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Looks like a monkey to me. Maybe one that has been starving and is basically skin and bones.

posted on Jul, 12 2003 @ 11:39 PM
link   
that's not the full picture, i've seen the full picture and it looks decidedly smaller then in the cropped version, i will work on finding an online copy of it

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Hmm seems very dubious, I mean this was guy was around when exploration of these new places and cultures was still at it's peak, scientists worldwide were looking for new and wonderful things to make their name in the community. For a man as well educated and travelled as this to simply shoot the potentially amazing discovery in biology, and then take one photo and forget all about it for years???? That would be like Einstein cracking the formula for safe time travel and lossong it as he had left it in the back pocket of his pants in the wash. Sorry but i find it impossible, not that this creatuire could exist, but that a group of scientists would mearly shoot it and forget about it. Which can lead to only one word. FAKE!

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 01:55 AM
link   
well damnit i haven't been able to find the full picture, i swear i've seen it before, though i guess i have absolutely no proof of whati just said, lol

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Hehehehehe

It has a dick...

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Its not a dick Captain Tripps.
Read the article.
Deep

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 11:46 PM
link   
ITS A DICK!