It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The best affordable place to live in the US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   
www.msn.com... Z4L2YptfcGECekCZAc1Hlv7R0KGs3tBwsmdZpiM#image=27

The Best Affordable Places to Live in the U.S. include: Huntsville, Alabama Fort Wayne, Indiana Des Moines, Iowa Fayetteville, Arkansas Pittsburgh Grand Rapids, Michigan Indianapolis Lafayette, Louisiana Baton Rouge, Louisiana Cincinnati Buffalo, New York Louisville, Kentucky Youngstown, Ohio Omaha, Nebraska Wichita, Kansas Kansas City, Missouri Greenville, South Carolina Tulsa, Oklahoma Raleigh and Durham, North Carolina Lexington-Fayette, Kentucky Minneapolis-St. Paul Syracuse, New York Little Rock, Arkansas St. Louis Charlotte, North Carolina

When I read lists like these I wonder what alternate universe am I living in. St Louis as a best place to live?????? Sure it is cheap, but best...um no.
I've been to at least 75% of these towns and some are OK, (some are horrible dumps) best would not be the vocabulary I would use. I wouldn't even say they are the cheapest. Have we lowered our standards so much that we don't even recognize mediocre anymore?

I've always wondered if the states pay to get put on these types of lists. It also shows that a lot of Americans just haven't traveled very much. There are some truly amazing places in the US that are still affordable, but you never see them on things like this. Maybe the locals want to keep it that way.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Hmmm,
I'd say In a van...down by the river.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Grand Rapids Michigan? That's going to be a hard "No"..... There are a million places to live in Michigan that are cheaper than that...... Sure, might not be as beautiful, but damn. Go anywhere in the thumb along the shoreline, Traverse City, Howell, Waterford, Hamburg, Commerce, Hartland, Fenton, Davison, Hell I can make a list a mile long. Might as well have said Ann Arbor is an affordable place to live

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.msn.com... Z4L2YptfcGECekCZAc1Hlv7R0KGs3tBwsmdZpiM#image=27

The Best Affordable Places to Live in the U.S. include: Huntsville, Alabama Fort Wayne, Indiana Des Moines, Iowa Fayetteville, Arkansas Pittsburgh Grand Rapids, Michigan Indianapolis Lafayette, Louisiana Baton Rouge, Louisiana Cincinnati Buffalo, New York Louisville, Kentucky Youngstown, Ohio Omaha, Nebraska Wichita, Kansas Kansas City, Missouri Greenville, South Carolina Tulsa, Oklahoma Raleigh and Durham, North Carolina Lexington-Fayette, Kentucky Minneapolis-St. Paul Syracuse, New York Little Rock, Arkansas St. Louis Charlotte, North Carolina

When I read lists like these I wonder what alternate universe am I living in. St Louis as a best place to live?????? Sure it is cheap, but best...um no.
I've been to at least 75% of these towns and some are OK, (some are horrible dumps) best would not be the vocabulary I would use. I wouldn't even say they are the cheapest. Have we lowered our standards so much that we don't even recognize mediocre anymore?

I've always wondered if the states pay to get put on these types of lists. It also shows that a lot of Americans just haven't traveled very much. There are some truly amazing places in the US that are still affordable, but you never see them on things like this. Maybe the locals want to keep it that way.

Articles like these are clickbait based on rudimentary statistics. A lot of places to live are cheap because they are sh*tholes and no one wants to live there.

Personally, I think Chicago is the best bargain out of any of the Tier 1 cities (NYC, Boston, San Fran, LA, and DC). Heck, it is even cheaper than some of the Tier 2 cities like Seattle, Portland, Austin, Atlanta, etc.

With that said, Chicago still seems very expensive compared to say Huntsville, Alabama but most people that live in Chicago would not be caught dead living in Huntsville.

If you want to live somewhere with arts, culture, amenities, high paying jobs, and short commute, it is not going to be cheap....

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   
St. Charles isn't bad.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Greenville, South Carolina...Gross..
I have been to Huntsville I did not much care for it, but has a load of federal contractors, and federal agencies so maybe the article is based on job opportunities outside of retail and food.

If you what a semi large city feel but still want to live in the country and its less expensive then a lot of cities Knoxville or Chattanooga, Tennessee are good choices.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: MorpheusUSA

Greenville, South Carolina...Gross..
I have been to Huntsville I did not much care for it, but has a load of federal contractors, and federal agencies so maybe the article is based on job opportunities outside of retail and food.

If you what a semi large city feel but still want to live in the country and its less expensive then a lot of cities Knoxville or Chattanooga, Tennessee are good choices.

I read the article because I couldn't believe Huntsville was on it, so many places within a couple of hours of there that could beat it hands down. I love Chattanooga and I'm sure the prices are similar.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Mexico.

Not the (New) state ... The country.

Yeah, I know that it's not "in the US," but that doesn't matter to me. We live in Mexico and I find it so much better than life north of the border. I talk with Mexicans nationals here who've lived in the US and have returned and find life here much more fulfilling.

We live in a very prosperous area; a lot of [legitimate] agriculture and related businesses, then services that are affordable to people because that economy trickles down.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Mexico. Not the (New) state ... The country.

I would not doubt for one minute that many Americans would have a significantly better quality of life if they moved out of the US. It is just a scary thing for most people, many that have never even been on an airplane!

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Hey you named my town!

I was going to say Michigan is a no brainer in general, but I just read the thread above this one now I’m not so sure .

a reply to: dothedew

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I moved to the UK 6 years ago...damned expensive with the exchange rate, but I love it. Europe is right on the doorstep. I'm at the age that I like to DO stuff instead of BUY stuff as well, so it suits me just fine.

ETA....annual salaries usually reflect these cheap areas...just sayin
edit on 9-4-2019 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SteamyJeans
Hey you named my town!

I was going to say Michigan is a no brainer in general, but I just read the thread above this one now I’m not so sure .

a reply to: dothedew

I've only been to a few cities in Michigan so I can't really comment on that one, but the ones I went to were amazing, really breathtakingly naturally beautiful. The UP is probably the biggest secret in America. The waters up there and on the way up there, just gorgeous.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

Jeeezus Lord, I despise that state up north.
It is, in fact, illegal to utter the word in Ohio.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

I moved to the UK 6 years ago...damned expensive with the exchange rate, but I love it. Europe is right on the doorstep. I'm at the age that I like to DO stuff instead of BUY stuff as well, so it suits me just fine.

ETA....annual salaries usually reflect these cheap areas...just sayin

I would move to Europe in a heartbeat, but trying to convince the family isn't going so well.
Yes I'm at the same point in my life, stuff ehh, but I love experiences.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Pretty much anywhere north of the Zilwalkee is amazing.

Seems to range from poor living to overpriced luxury resort living.

Down by flint and Detroit there are nice suburbs.
Problem is everywhere “nice” is getting more expensive every year. My City taxes just raised drastically.

West coast is beautiful but not cheap.

UP is amazing. Lucky enough to spend my summers at bible camp there as a kid.

Always wanted to move there and be a hermit and grow pot haha never did it.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   
As someone who has Zero interest in sports rivalries, Iv got no problem with Ohio. Used to love cedar point and visiting family in Cleveland.

a reply to: lakenheath24

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

Lucky you. I just had to go down some valium from just seeing that word on my screen. It turns me into an angry white man.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

The best affordable place to live in the US

I love the Gulf Coast of Texas. Great people, easy living life style, and great music and fishin.

edit on 9-4-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Join the Air Force.........

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

Join the Air Force.........

I'm a military brat, been there done that. I pretty much grew up in Europe and even graduated from
high school there. I'd move back in a hot second, I love the UK, Belgium, Germany, The Netherlands,
it is just my family, and I don't want to be away from my kids.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join