It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milwaukee The most segregated city in America

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I, like you, loathe the cities and we do all we can to avoid them.

I did extensive research into this topic and in so doing, I discovered something utterly amazing. I won't mention the name of the city I was forced to live in at the time, but I researched the property records and the museum archives to discover what that city was like BEFORE Brown v. the Board of Education.

What I discovered was that just as you describe "Korea Town" or "China Town", there had been a vibrant "Black" town complete with Black owned businesses like movie houses, bars, restaurants, hair shops, drug stores, toy stores, clothing stores and best yet..............Music Recording studios. During those days, tourists, whites, non-whites would pile into "Black Town" in the evenings to hear prominent Black Jazz and Soul musicians.

Guess what else I discovered! There was even a thriving Black Middle class made up of people who owned the businesses, etc.

Then came desegregation and what happened? The black owned businesses failed at a very rapid clip! Why eat at the Black owned Restaurant when now you could get served at the Walgreens Lunch Counter; why shop at the Black owned clothing stores when now, you could shop at the big, major department stores in "white town".

It all fell to pieces. It fell fast because one of the oddities was that "Blacks" didn't own the real estate in "Black Town"; the real estate was all owned by slum lord type people and once the rent couldn't be paid, the tennant was outed and the building bulldozed. They literally bulldozed something like 30 square blocks of "Black Town" and built............HUD free rent Apartment buildings. Black unemployment went through the roof and here we are today, left with something like an uneasy truce between Black and White with Black people being told from birth that White people are racist and hate them because they're Black and how the White people stole from the Black people and should be forced to pay reparations.

The US is damned from inception by the original sin of slavery and as such should the so-called "American Experiment" is doomed to fail.

And it is.............failing.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Yes, Milwaukee.

Will do and I'll be always within 999' of all schools too.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Yes, Milwaukee.

Will do and I'll be always within 999' of all schools too.

Have you seen the kids in Milwaukee?

They are all like 7ft tall and 250, and that's just the sixth graders!

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Tulsa?

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

No.........much bigger city and in Texas.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Dang I was gonna guess Memphis myself, pretty much the same story there.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: CADpro
Chicago has such vibrant balack culture all should enjoy. There's the wonders of math & all science, space travel along with having invented written language. Nuclear fission is most impressive.

EDIT to add: Must look at Chicago for the great gun laws and low-low crime rate...We need to stop every balack we see and praise them everyday for what they've done for civilized society we see today.

And the right wonders why it gets accused of racism.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
All cities, towns, and spit marks at rural country intersections do that, it's human nature to congregate with like in communities. I'm in a fairly well-mixed neighborhood of ethnicities & incomes, but go across town and & it's whiter than mayonnaise. Go the other direction, and it's hispanic & black neighborhoods.

It was pretty much the same where I lived in FL, except I was in an ethnically mixed MC neighborhood sandwiched between ethnically mixed neighborhoods (with one slight majority or another) in abject poverty, and lily-white elderly neighborhoods of extreme Gulf front wealth. The neighborhood income gap isn't quite so huge where I am now. They're here, just set a little further apart from the lower classes instead of right across the street or the next street over (literally, in my case. Nothing like barely scraping by in a studio apt with a beachfront McMansion behind you)

On my way there today, anywhere you want me to visit that I shouldn't be visiting?

Whatever you do, for the love of god, leave DB home & in the basement. I'm right across the lake, where do you think his fart cloud is going to go on the breeze? Don't doom these folks here with his nuclear fallout, please.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

I, like you, loathe the cities and we do all we can to avoid them.

I did extensive research into this topic and in so doing, I discovered something utterly amazing. I won't mention the name of the city I was forced to live in at the time, but I researched the property records and the museum archives to discover what that city was like BEFORE Brown v. the Board of Education.

What I discovered was that just as you describe "Korea Town" or "China Town", there had been a vibrant "Black" town complete with Black owned businesses like movie houses, bars, restaurants, hair shops, drug stores, toy stores, clothing stores and best yet..............Music Recording studios. During those days, tourists, whites, non-whites would pile into "Black Town" in the evenings to hear prominent Black Jazz and Soul musicians.

Guess what else I discovered! There was even a thriving Black Middle class made up of people who owned the businesses, etc.

Then came desegregation and what happened? The black owned businesses failed at a very rapid clip! Why eat at the Black owned Restaurant when now you could get served at the Walgreens Lunch Counter; why shop at the Black owned clothing stores when now, you could shop at the big, major department stores in "white town".

It all fell to pieces. It fell fast because one of the oddities was that "Blacks" didn't own the real estate in "Black Town"; the real estate was all owned by slum lord type people and once the rent couldn't be paid, the tennant was outed and the building bulldozed. They literally bulldozed something like 30 square blocks of "Black Town" and built............HUD free rent Apartment buildings. Black unemployment went through the roof and here we are today, left with something like an uneasy truce between Black and White with Black people being told from birth that White people are racist and hate them because they're Black and how the White people stole from the Black people and should be forced to pay reparations.

The US is damned from inception by the original sin of slavery and as such should the so-called "American Experiment" is doomed to fail.

And it is.............failing.

In many ways, integration hurt the development of the black community economically. Pretty much every major city had an area like you described. Harlem. Tulsa. Atlanta.

The problem with integration is that our fight for rights to dine and patronize any business turned out to actually mean abandoning black businesses. For many in the black community, the white man's ice is colder so to speak...

The black community is weak today because we have political power, but no economic power. We are a community of consumers and don't really own anything.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

He's in the PNW, or is he in Vegas? Check the Short Story forum for a new entry.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

He's in the PNW, or is he in Vegas? Check the Short Story forum for a new entry.

Lol, I'll have to go read that XD

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Milwaukee the Most Segregated City in America

Yes, and we like it that way. ALL OF US.

Every race, every ethnic group.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
IMPOSSIBRU

was told muh whole life that the north loves minorities only the south is racist.

Even though when living in south I never saw such segregation.

Lol
Typical
Ironic
Hypocrits...

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Creep Thumper

Segregation is the new SJW push.

Way to be ahead of the curve.

MLK is so stoked right nao.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: Creep Thumper

Segregation is the new SJW push.

Way to be ahead of the curve.

MLK is so stoked right nao.

I've worked in environments were there was a huge range of diversity. Groups naturally segregated due to common interests and cultural factors.

It isn't racist if it's entirely voluntary which, here, it is.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

That's the trouble. There are two different kinds, and the ones who are trouble are the ones too many people are familiar with because they are the ones we see all the time in the wrong ways (on the news/in the news). In KC, you'll see blacks all over, but you'll notice a difference in demeanor if you pay attention. Otherwise, there is no difference.

But let's not pretend we don't have that same thing going on in the white population. Just visit the local trailer park ... you know which one I'm talking about, and you see the same difference in demeanor.

And basically, if you know how to behave in polite society, you just don't want to hang with people who don't because you know they're trouble and that doesn't change just because your skin color has.
edit on 8-4-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I have read that a few times too.

As another poster alluded to, there are no laws in Milwaukee keeping one group one place and another, another place. Folks are more or less free to live where they can make it happen.

One of my favorite places to eat is El Rey down on 35th and Burnham. Yummy!
www.elreyfoods.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

originally posted by: CADpro
Chicago has such vibrant balack culture all should enjoy. There's the wonders of math & all science, space travel along with having invented written language. Nuclear fission is most impressive.

EDIT to add: Must look at Chicago for the great gun laws and low-low crime rate...We need to stop every balack we see and praise them everyday for what they've done for civilized society we see today.

And the right wonders why it gets accused of racism.

WHat was posted that is keepin the balack man down? aka racist you say?

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Whatever you do, for the love of god, leave DB home & in the basement. I'm right across the lake, where do you think his fart cloud is going to go on the breeze? Don't doom these folks here with his nuclear fallout, please.

I was in Milwaukee in January. It was so cold that the farts just fell out of my trousers like frozen little clouds of joy.

As to the topic at hand, why do people still focus on race?

*jeez*

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY

I have read that a few times too.

As another poster alluded to, there are no laws in Milwaukee keeping one group one place and another, another place. Folks are more or less free to live where they can make it happen.

One of my favorite places to eat is El Rey down on 35th and Burnham. Yummy!
www.elreyfoods.com...

Try some of the food trucks. OMG, Nirvana!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join