It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phones in School

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SWAT
another brilliant read from what i posted above, perhaps i can hire you to solve all sorts of mysteries and decode everything i say, that way incase another reader comes along and makes the same astute observations,
SWAT

Dude, first off the name of your topic is "Cell phones in schools", and in your opening post you ask the question...

so is it just me or for a school to say that they can take your phone away for having it on or using it during school legitimate?

What was said by the respondants was well within the context of the topic and also in response to your quote above. Why the hostility and immaturity towards responses generated by your topic? You asked peoples opinion and people are giving you their opinion as to why cell phones should not be allowed to be turned on or used while in school. Nobody is personally attacking you.

Not a very good attitude.

[edit on 28-2-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
During school I leave my cell phone on silent in my locker in my back pack cause I really have no need for it till after school. I might just start carrying it on me and leaving it on silent during school not because of worrying about missing a call but because if something happens like a lockdown or hostage situation then we can call 911 or something. There really is no need to have your phone with it's ring on during clas or having your phone taken out at all during class.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
wow i geuss i have no idea what im trying to say when i post it, somehow im always posting something different than what i actually post? Veltro now, where did i ever say anything about anyone elses response except spliffs, where he went off on me about how i should get off my self and and how i said all things i actually didnt... apparently you have some ties with him and feel the need to defend him, i think the majority of the people here have posted valid opinions... where as the poor attitude in my post started with spliffs

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Im just gonna add one more thing to the post, i apologize if I came off with anyone the wrong way here, but this was mainly about the kid who was kicked out of school, the principle thought he could just take the kids phone away, id demand the amount in cash of howerver much the phone costed and go down and buy a new one, and as for it going off in class i was meaning as like 1 time by accident or something... i wasnt meaning like someone should just be able to take random calls whenever, sorry if i gave that impression which i know i did later in a reply but i was cuagh up in the responses more than trying to explain my post, im new sorry

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Swat

It's no big thing man. And I'm not connected with spliff in any way, I don't even know him aside from reading his posts. It's just that in my post I agreed with him and had similar views and you posted that reply right after mine. Also your wording made me feel it was directed at me as well.

But like I said, no harm done. Glad that you see the problem. I'm pretty new myself and I know it can be hard to get your meaning across on here sometimes.

[edit on 1-3-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
OK SWAT, Ill take your bait..Heres some more "decoding"-->

Some kids do have jobs where they may need to know if they have to work

Its called a "schedule" Write it down. A lack of preperation on your part does not constitute an emergency on anyone elses part. Or...call when you get home. No need for your cell phone there.

or in study hall if they nothing better to do,

..lol..How about...studying? hmmm....theres a novel idea...

Im just gonna add one more thing to the post, i apologize if I came off with anyone the wrong way here, but this was mainly about the kid who was kicked out of school, the principle thought he could just take the kids phone away, id demand the amount in cash of howerver much the phone costed and go down and buy a new one, and as for it going off in class i was meaning as like 1 time by accident or something... i wasnt meaning like someone should just be able to take random calls whenever, sorry if i gave that impression which i know i did later in a reply but i was cuagh up in the responses more than trying to explain my post, im new sorry

Now if you just take the spelling and grammatical errors here, its a perfect example of why your study hall should be used for more than checking messages.

Now while I can't quote you on this, I'm going to use an "inference" -v- deduce,conclude,judge,gather..

You seem to think that rules are put in place for you to negotiate. Can you recall the schools ever calling you and asking for your input on the new years handbook? I bet they didnt. You know why? They dont need to. They make the rules. You follow them. Its ok though, as thats the way LIFE is. Life is a series of rules that you must follow and if you dont, well, your fired. Its that simple.

Bottom line..rules are rules. Your at an age where you are full of anger and energy. You see something you deem wrong, you want to fight it. Noble cause,but it wont get you anywhere. Nobody of any importance cares about your opinion of their rules. They arent open for discussion. They are put in place for you to FOLLOW, not DEBATE.

Heres a small list of other places which dont allow cells either: Court, Church, Hospitals, Airplanes..the list goes on. Contrary to popular belief, not everybody loves phones. Some people are annoyed by them. In some places such as planes and hospitals, they are considered a safety hazzard. Also. try being in court for something and having your phone ring. The judges love that. Bottom line kid, leave it in the car.

where as the poor attitude in my post started with spliffs

umm, no it didnt. It started right here..

it is very legit to say that by the time your 17 or 18 or 19 in those grades your personal finance or english class might be the least of your concerns as you may have a job or other obligations

On the contrary. Your grades should be THE FIRST AND ONLY CONCERN you have. Not what time you start at McDonalds tonight. (or whatever "job" you have)

i certainly think not, especially if its on silent, i can see where if you let it ring during a class itd be annoying but everyone makes mistakes and its possible to forget to put your phone on silent

WHich is precisly why they have rules saying "not in school". Besides, what does having it on silent mode do? Your still gonna answer it. And, if you dont, then why have it there at all. Bottom line..Its a distraction that in on the same level as a gameboy. Its a toy that has no place in school.

not sure what everyone else thinks, but i thought the last couple years in high school were to help you prepare for the real world

Funny... I thought it was to prepare you for college..Low aspirations, huh?

the last time i checked you wont get your phone confiscated at work or at home for using it, heck most jobs people are on the phone with someone all the time

Umm where did you check? My job wont take my phone away. They will fire me for it though. You are somewhat correct though. There are jobs that require cell phones though. Again though, its a matter of a "time and place". What you wont see, is people just BSin on the phone. It has a purpose. Try sitting in the bosses office and having your phone ringing constantly. See where that gets ya. Right out the door. Thats where. I'm sure in your 17 or 18 years on this planet you have a vastly greater understanding of the workplace, than say, some schlub like me, whos only been doing it for 20 years or so. But trust me. I know what I speak of. Probably alot more than you.

by the way, theyve never tried to take my phone, but id like to see em try

First it was guns...Now phones...
....Rules are rules kid...get used to it. You want preperation for the "real world" heres some... Life is a series of rules. Like it or not, you follow them. The older you get, the more rules there are. More times than not, your cell phone is an annoyance to others. Have the courtesy to know when and where to use it. It will make your life easier. Trust me.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Wow, "You can have my phone when you pry it from my cold dead hands."

Sad, so sad, I don't have one. I am not dieing a horrible death from lack of cell phone.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   

the school I attend and several schools around here are now finding it a good way of abusing their power to either tell students if they have cell phones on in school they will be confiscated or they will be punished

How in the world is that an abuse of power? You shouldn
t be on the phone in school. If you or any student is not competent enough to turn the phone to silent and shut off the buzzer, then they deserve to have the damned thing taken away.

one school has actually kicked a student out for having a cell phone go off in class

Good.

it is very legit [sic] to say that by the time your [sic] 17 or 18 or 19 in those grades your personal finance or english class

Considering the errors you've made so far perhaps it would be legitimate to say that you should pay attention when you're in English class.

might be the least of your concerns

What? Then drop out of school if its beneath you.

a school to say that they can take your phone away for having it on or using it during school legitimate?

Yes, the school is perfectly within its power to confiscate a student's cell phone.

i certainly think not, especially if its on silent,

If it is on silent then how is anyone supposed to know that its on?

but everyone makes mistakes and its possible to forget to put your phone on silent

So? Why should that mean that it shouldn't be taken away? Are the schools not giving these things back or something? Even when the parents show up?

i thought the last couple years in high school were to help you prepare for the real world, and the last time i checked you wont get your phone confiscated at work or at home for using it,

Your entire time in high school is for no less than doing what your teachers tell you to do. If you are fortunate enough that that prepares you for college or 'the real world' then so much the better.

heck most jobs people are on the phone with someone all the time

If somone is so incredibly stupid as to be unable to comply with a simple rule like 'no cell phones are allowed on in school' then how can they possibly expect to be able to work 'in the real world'?

by the way, theyve never tried to take my phone, but id like to see em try

And what is that supposed to mean? You're going to do what exactly? Type out an angry post to people on the internet? Whine to your parents and friends?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
SWAT says:

"the school I attend and several schools around here are now finding it a good way of abusing their power to either tell students if they have cell phones on in school they will be confiscated or they will be punished... "

I disagree. If you're a kid in school (that is, someone who is not an adult), the schools have the right -- indeed, the obligation -- to maintain order.

I don't think the schools are abusing their power; rather, the students are abusing their privileges by talking on the phone when they have another job to do.

But anyway, if you graduate within a couple of years, you will be able to take your cell phone with you wherever you go -- unless you work for a place which doesn't allow cell phones, in which case you'd be out of a job.

"...is very legit to say that by the time your 17 or 18 or 19 in those grades your personal finance or english class might be the least of your concerns as you may have a job or other obligations..."

Fine. Then go to your job and quit interfering with the educational process. If you can't handle the rules, find another game.

"...so is it just me or for a school to say that they can take your phone away for having it on or using it during school legitimate?"

It certainly is legitimate; are you not familiar with the doctrine of in loco parentis?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Nygdan do you simply just read the first post, disregard everything else I may have said in replys and post something? apparently so... may i also say general use, i never said anyone ever just pulled out their phone in class and made or call or answered it... im saying there were small cases where by accident a phone went off in class, im saying that like during your noon break or any other morning breaks you may have is when im saying why cant you call someone or text someone, theres no classes going on, apparently i need to explain everything beucase otherwise people will make assumptions that i expect to be able to use my cell phone whenever i want

[edit on 1-3-2005 by SWAT]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
So you have changed your mind since your first post?

Don't you think it is incredibly arrogant to assume that your text messages are more important than other people's educations, which you are disrupting if you use a phone in class?

I'll assume you now accept that any job you might have at your age does not require you to take a cell phone to school, as you've backtracked on your original statements, denying their relevance. But I will say that if you want a real job in the future, you'd do well to leave you toys at home and show some respect for the people providing you with the service of education. Because if you don't learn that trying to defy authority without good reason by behaving like moron won't get you anywhere, then even burger flipping will be beyond your aspirations.

I'm 16, still in school, and I know why people bring phones with them to class. Not one of them has a good reason.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
lol.

Bro, I think you need to calm down.

I would suspect that the main reason that cell phones are prohibited is because they disturb the class if they ring. That is the logic behind the rule.

Not to make your life miserable. Please, my friend, if they were physically abusing you I would have something to say, but to this...

I simply do not know.

-wD

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
All I have to say is that so far SWAT no one is on your side, and really i don't think anyone will be. Really in high school, a cell phone is more of a status symbol than a useful tool as you are implying.

Some employments do require phones, doctors for example need a phone to be on call, but guess what? They don't use them in surgery!! In fact they wouldn't have them on vibrate in their pockets either, just like your classroom, you should leave the phone in your locker and check the damn missed calls etc after. I do agree it is ok to check your phone during breaks, but your first post was like some revolutionary banter,

GIVE ME CELL PHONES OR GIVE ME DEATH!

Anyways, alot of people are being harsh with you, but you have no argument here my friend, cell phones are a luxury no a necessity, especially for a high school child.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

may i also say general use, i never said anyone ever just pulled out their phone in class and made or call or answered it... im saying there were small cases where by accident a phone went off in class,

Rules, in general, aren't made up just to annoy you. Despite what you've seen, yourself, either the district was having trouble with students (not in your classes) who were "just pulling out their phones in class", or was taking the advice of other districts who'd had that problem.

Regardless, I think that if you really want to fix the injustice you perceive you'll have to do more than just say "Hey, this policy is unfair." I'm glad you're willing to speak out on the subject, too many people will just let unjustice pass them by saying that it doesn't affect them, but to really get things fixed you need to come up with a resolution.

Seriously, if this is something you want to address at your school, I'm sure that you'll find a lot of help here. Hell, I'll volunteer to help you write up an alternative policy that your district may find acceptable: I was a teacher myself, once, and know how to word things so that the schools administration will find it palatable. Just say the word and we've got your back on this.

im saying that like during your noon break or any other morning breaks you may have is when im saying why cant you call someone or text someone, theres no classes going on,

The big concern, whether valid or not, is that you'll be calling other students who are in class, or, worse, you'll be text-messaging a crib-sheet for a test to someone in class. Whether or not you, specifically, would do this is immaterial, unfortunately, there are kids out there who have, and enough of them to have sparked the policy under which you're currently suffering.

Again, that doesn't necessarily make the current policy correct. It does, however, benefit you to understand the reasoning, even if flawed, behind the policy you wish to fight. That holds true whether it's you're school's cell-phone policy right now, or if you're fighting an unjust law in the future. When you understand what prompted people to make the policy in the first place, you can better phrase your argument against it, and your counter-proposal. Understanding people's motivations isn't just useful to "fruit-and-nut" hippie types like me

apparently i need to explain everything beucase otherwise people will make assumptions that i expect to be able to use my cell phone whenever i want

While you may be a very mature young adult, take a look around you sometime at your peers. There are a lot of stupid kids out there (and adults, but that's a rant for another time) giving you a bad name. Without evidence to the contrary, we tend to assume that you're just an average kid. This is probably something we should work on here, but you'll have to deal with it for at least the next few years.

Hell, I've gotten to a point in my professional career where I'm running up against the "He's not bald, so he obviously doesn't have enough experience to know this subject" line
Hey, it's not my fault that my genes are being kind to me

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jawapunk
Anyways, alot of people are being harsh with you, but you have no argument here my friend, cell phones are a luxury no a necessity, especially for a high school child.

Honestly, I think we're taking the wrong track on this thread. Instead of a dog-pile of "You're so wrong!!!1!oneone!", wouldn't it be better to take this opportunity to show SWAT, and anyone else reading along, how to effectively address bad policies, whether they're at school, work, or in government?

So, SWAT, if you're willing, throw up a copy of the district's cell phone policy from the student handbook.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I can guarantee you that if some teacher decides to take my phone, they can have it for that class, and I will get it back at the end of class or else. We're all people, and you respect me, and I'll respect you.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
The best way to avoid cell phone abuse (by ringing/vibrating - because believe it,vibrating can be even more a disturbance in class or anywhere because people tend to think noone else can hear it so they just let it vibrate the 10 times or whatever - try frantically writing out a 10 page paper test in an hour and 20 minute class while some dingbat lets his phone vibrate for a few minutes, then wait for the obligatory 'call back in 5 mins to make sure') is to have the cell signal jammers (ever try using a cell in a casino or a newer fancy restaurant - it isn't going to happen) - they are cheap and pretty effective from my experience... Also, ever try using a cell phone in most Home Depot's? Not gonna happen... maybe we should mandate schools to install lumber or metal-siding departments if students can't follow a simple logical and fair rule.

Alternatively, while still in highschool you can close your medical/law practice or narcotics distributing business (since you're that important atm)

[edit on 1-3-2005 by AlphaHumana]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Whiskey Jack I respect you in the fact you actually didnt just get all bent out of shape, it was funny how even after all the personal attacks on my worth and grammer i never was that mad but after reading a single post nygden and spliff were already going off the deepend on how i was stuck on myself and how anyone who has a cell with them in school should have it taken away, which is infact rediculous if they arent even being used. i have never used my phone in class, but i have friends who work on a farm and such and sometimes during harvest or planting season they are needed in the field which is the one job that ive been thinking of but most of you would laugh at that anyway so... as i stated later in a reply whiskey jack i worded my original post poorly and tried to correct it. then my spelling was attacked, which is ludacris beucase this is a forum of discussion not english class, i plan on going to college and for some reason i should drop out beucase i posted this according to some people... but i will agree with dex... i can respect that, dex seems to understand what im saying, but they want to take your phone away and not give them back, and i simply would refuse to give them my phone... earlier .. probably spliff or whatever said something to my "theyve never tried to take my phone but id like to see them try" meant nothing more than that, they can try, but im not going to give my cell phone to some power hungry school official who is mad because they make as much as a manager at walmart in a year. i posted this just for some discussion, never meant to cause all the angry posts which turned into attacks on my spelling and my personal worth, thank you whiskey jack for actually taking the time to post a reasonable reply, but though i havent changed my opinion id be willing to go to something like dex said...

[edit on 1-3-2005 by SWAT]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
cell signal jammers - they are cheap and pretty effective from my experience

That would really be a good idea for schools to use those. I wish more restaurants/movie theaters, etc. did, but that would open a whole new can of worms I suppose.

My friend bought one of those off Ebay a while back. Fun times were had by all. Well by us anyway.

[edit on 1-3-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Nygdan do you simply just read the first post, disregard everything else I may have said in replys and post something? apparently so[/quoite\]
Yes, I only read the portions that I quoted and responded to. I am under no obligation to read every post you make in the thread, you requested comments in the first one and I gave them

i never said anyone ever just pulled out their phone in class and made or call or answered it

I did not say that you said that.

im saying there were small cases where by accident a phone went off in class

Ok, and?

im saying that like during your noon break or any other morning breaks you may have is when im saying why cant you call someone or text someone,

Thats up to the school, not you. They don't need to give a reason for it. Heck, they can even give a stupid reason. You stated that you were interested in real life. Real life is not being given a reason most of the time, and when someone does deign to give you one, its inevitably stupid.

apparently i need to explain everything beucase otherwise people will make assumptions that i expect to be able to use my cell phone whenever i want

If you will notice, I quoted the specific portion of you post that was relevant to this, responded to it, and continued discussing the general situation.

were already going off the deepend

Christ its the deep end. Jesus how then hell can you talk about not needing no schooling fer nuttin like dinat? People went off on your grammar because you sounded like an idiot, and because it was terribly funny. And regardless your entire complaint is silly. 'Its not fair that the school takes me celly away, they haven't the right'. Yes they do. They can take anything away from you if they wish, they are the authority, they are in loco parentis, they are the parent, you are the child. If you can't follow the rules (no cell phones in school), and are clumsy enough to get caught, then it gets taken away. And no, I am not refering to 'you' directly there, this usage is something also covered in those unimportant things called 'classes'.

You know why there were a number of people that got in a tiff over this? Because its annoying, annoying like having your cell taken away by some dickhead teacher during lunch.

<< 1    3 >>

join