It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

773 Million Emails, 21 Million Passwords Leaked in ‘Largest Breach Ever’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Link

The breach involved 87 gigabytes of data including almost 2.7 billion rows of email addresses and passwords spanning at least 772,904,991 email accounts and 21,222,975 unique passwords. The data is allegedly a collection of more than 2,000 leaked databases.

The date of the breach was reported as Jan. 7. The data was uploaded to the popular cloud service MEGA, which has since been taken down. The data was also being distributed on a popular public hacking forum.

Some people just want to watch the world burn...

“They weren’t even for sale; they were just available for anyone to take,” Wired.com noted.

Thats a hell of a breach, who could possibly have that many credentials in 1 database to hack?

Somethings a foot.. I cant help but feel this is related to the Hong Kong Flash Crash

edit on 18/1/19 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
Thats a hell of a breach, who could possibly have that many credentials in 1 database to hack?

Did you read the quote you posted?

The data is allegedly a collection of more than 2,000 leaked databases

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Possibly the collection is screened/ aggregated so just to cover each individuals details once , ie one email addesses each person listed

a number like 771 million equates to being similar number to the whole EU population 740 million

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

87 gigabytes of data

Have you been affected?

Just input your username and password into this search to find out.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

87 gigabytes of data

Have you been affected?

Did you leave something out in your post?

Like the link to "this search"...

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale

87 gigabytes of data

Have you been affected?

Whoosh...lol

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

I think you missed the joke in his comment.
Or I am reading too much into it.
Its early yet, bear with me lol.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
They got mine--was contacted by ID protection service that there had been "a dark web compromise" of my email. Anyone have more info on this?

Changing out all my security settings. Good times.
edit on 18-1-2019 by elkabong57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Is there any way to find out if I'm affected without downloading 84 gigs of it?
Some website stated that hacked data was from 2008-2015. That's actually quite positive.
edit on 18-1-2019 by KiwiNite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: mobiusmale

87 gigabytes of data

Have you been affected?

Whoosh...lol

That is funny, those are the people who would put their info in to see if it was compromised lol !

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
There's a really useful website I have been using for a few years that searches database leaks, pastebins, all kinds of things. You can enter your email address to see if you have been affected by leaks like this, it's pretty legit and can help you decide whether or not you need to change your password. It seems I have been affected on one of my emails by this latest leak.

www.haveibeenpwned.com...

a reply to: KiwiNite

edit on 18/1/2019 by BelowLowAnnouncement because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Apparently "Collection 1" is just the start of this major list of email/password data. There appear to be Collections #2 - #5 as well.

Troyhunt.com

Q. Will you publish the data in collections #2 through #5? Until this blog post went out, I wasn't even aware there were subsequent collections. I do have those now and I need to make a call on what to do with them after investigating them further.

According to the Have I Been Pwned website, my e-mail address is in Collection #1.

I'm curious whether this huge hacked data release is related to that individual who claimed to have compromising data from companies related to 9/11 and other important "secrets."

-dex

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   

All my email accounts have been listed in data breach dumps. Sad as it sounds, people should take it for granted their emails are getting hacked on a regular basis. Changing passwords is the best way forward and using phrases helps a lot.

have i been pwned?

Enter email addresses into the above link and see if they've been included in dumps.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Emails are easy enough to generate.
I wouldn't be too worried if your emails are on there.
You NEED to worry if any passwords you are still using are!!
Check those too here:- Password check on HIBP
edit on 18/1/2019 by UKWO1Phot because: grammar

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I've been alerted to breaches on multiple occasions. I use a password manager now and routinely change passwords with long random character passwords.

The worst was when Adobe got hit since I both own and subscribe to their software. They provided me with identity protection for free and alerted me to the breach quickly. Good company and I applaud how they handled it.

Another company that got hit did not alert me to it. Needless to say I don't go there or do business with them anymore.

It's just something that's a fact of life like we need air to breath. We have to defend ourselves by using password managers and identity protection.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Personally I email myself a little hidden tracking token so I can see if anyone has opened any of my emails.
I name it something enticing like bitcoin wallet address + password with false info within.
Also to onedrive, gdrive, dropbox etc.
Works a treat.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   

what if @gmail or @live had been hacked? They'd surely have that much data of that kind stored

shouldn't be accessable though . . . "built in backdoors" anyone?

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
From what I can gather my emails on there are the one's I sign up for offers and other crap so could be from anywhere.
Adobe and Dropbox where well known which are there.

Looks to me like a drop of all the hacked databases from the last 4-5 years.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Having your email address and also having the password or being compromised are two different things.
edit on 1/18/2019 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   
As far as site account credentials, most sites are not saving passwords so are they actual passwords or hashes.

I would imagine it is not all email related.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join