It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My flight simulator.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Hey all. I am kind of tired of the political BS, so I thought I would talk about something else.

I am a big flight enthusiast, always have been. I did some glider flying at one time, never got my license. Owned a small plane until my instructor almost wrecked us. I am still interested, but don't have the time or money.

About this time last year, I started building a G-seat. It replicates G-forces from the simulator through servo operated flaps on the butt and back.

I was using it with VR, but overall I am still not happy with the clarity of VR, so I decided to build a near full size cockpit sim of a Cessna 150/172.

Here are some photos and a video of how the G-seat works.

youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MrRCflying

What happens if you simulate a crash? Do you die?

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I think you virtually do, yes.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
That is pretty damn awesome!

Are the controls to scale , I don't know anything about flying so hard to figure out.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
That is pretty damn awesome!

Are the controls to scale , I don't know anything about flying so hard to figure out.

Close. The panel you see is part of the sim software. It is displayed on the screen. I had thought about building an actual panel, but the cost right now is too much. The main monitor is 47", about 45" across. The actual width of the interior of a 172 is about 48" from door to door, so just a couple of inches smaller than real life.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

That's properly cool.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Not bad, but get some dual on a 172 and do some real flying like chandeles or stalls, totally worth it!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Great set up. I always wanted to do something similar. Actually thought about buying an old cockpit and trying to fit something together. Even wrecked aircraft are expensive so I stuck with my desk top. Which software do you use ?

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Thank you!

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

Oh I know. I have about 40 hours in gliders and 20 in planes. Stall spin training in a glider is outrageous. Felt like I was going to fall right out.

One day, when I have more money and time, I am going to try again for my license.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

This was a very easy, cheap build. Made of 2x2s, cardboard, and fake leather. The door handles and window latches are 3d printed. I had the 47" TV and one 32", so I only had to invest into a third 32". Well, a lot of computer upgrades too.

I love Aerofly FS2, I think it feels the most real in VR, and pretty good on screen. The FPS is fantastic. However, it is missing a lot of functionality like ATS, lots of ground objects, etc... They are working on it, but it seems like a slow process.

This is X-Plane 11.26, with a TON of add ons. Some pay ware, some freeware. Long hard hours making it look as real as possible.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I am going to do a youtube video of it in action in just a bit. I will put it up here when it is done.

How do I post a video? Every time I try, it does not work, so I just post a link.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrRCflying
a reply to: DJMSN

This was a very easy, cheap build. Made of 2x2s, cardboard, and fake leather. The door handles and window latches are 3d printed. I had the 47" TV and one 32", so I only had to invest into a third 32". Well, a lot of computer upgrades too.

I love Aerofly FS2, I think it feels the most real in VR, and pretty good on screen. The FPS is fantastic. However, it is missing a lot of functionality like ATS, lots of ground objects, etc... They are working on it, but it seems like a slow process.

This is X-Plane 11.26, with a TON of add ons. Some pay ware, some freeware. Long hard hours making it look as real as possible.

Ha! I said ATS there instead of ATC! Air Traffic Control. Funny slip.

Setting things up to do a video now.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
That looks awesome, but I'd wanna play Mechwarrior on it :p

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Unbelievable fine view out the pic seat there tis a sunny day out that window....can you fly Colorado mountains...or order up some Idaho......

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Yep, sure can. Thousands of airports. You can change weather, even a pack for seasons.

I have all the northeast in photo real, meaning it uses satellite ground images. For other areas, I would have to buy or create the photo real, which is not too hard but very time and hard drive consuming. It could be done for most any area however.

I am done with the video. It is uploading now to youtube.
edit on 24-10-2018 by MrRCflying because: additional info

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
Unbelievable fine view out the pic seat there tis a sunny day out that window....can you fly Colorado mountains...or order up some Idaho......

Some of the sims letyou overfly based on sat images don’t remember which ones but a few I know can be modded for it.
OP great work so far I take you more on the electronics side of the game than the fabrication those welds don’t look too happy, but definitely a cool project.
Wait until burgh gets in here and starts throwing pictures of comfort food around.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

Some of the sims letyou overfly based on sat images don’t remember which ones but a few I know can be modded for it.
OP great work so far I take you more on the electronics side of the game than the fabrication those welds don’t look too happy, but definitely a cool project.
Wait until burgh gets in here and starts throwing pictures of comfort food around.

Yes, these are satellite images with computer generated buildings, trees, and roads overlayed. It uses USGS data for forest and tree location, and GPS map info for roads.

It was my first time ever using a plasma cutter and welder. I have gotten better, but still far from good. They are ugly, but strong.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Here is the video! Can someone embed it, I still can't figure out why I can't embed videos.

youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrRCflying

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

Yes, these are satellite images with computer generated buildings, trees, and roads overlayed. It uses USGS data for forest and tree location, and GPS map info for roads.

It was my first time ever using a plasma cutter and welder. I have gotten better, but still far from good. They are ugly, but strong.

The more bead ya lay the better y’all get you using MIG? Flux core or gas shielded? If you’re using gas shielding you may need to reverse the polarity you need to switch the polarity when switching from gas to flux core or vice verse and remember the home gamer welder’s motto “grinder and paint make ya the welder ya ain’t”!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join