It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Tom Cruise wear sunglasses in the Risky Business Dance Scene

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The scene gets parodied on the Simpsons (in an early season) & Homer wears glasses. I reckon that plays a part.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I think the movie started with him in sun glasses only...

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

When I saw it he had toupee and was carrying a rubber chicken.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Not the dance where he slides, but part of that montage where he sings into a broom or remote at a mirror. Something like that.

Edit to add:
Nope. I was just wrong.
edit on 10 16 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   
This is the other big one for me actually. I “remember” a lot of the ME’s the currently wrong way but dilemma and this one hit me hard. I explained dilemma in another thread active right now so I won’t go into it here. For this one, I have a photo of 3 friends and I acting out that scene with the movie on behind us. We all have Ray-Bans on - Cruise does not. Well... does not now. But I distinctly remember us pausing the VHS and searching for our Wayfarers to act out the scene. And in the pic, again, we have them on... but him... nope. Flummoxed I am...

ETA... I’m almost 50. My memory of this movie and that night we took the Polaroid has zero to do with The Simpson’s...
edit on 16-10-2018 by nicevillegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Yes. Quite distinctly.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
a reply to: madmac5150

That's funny.

I was intrigued by the comments on the YouTube vid where people were asking what happened to the sunglasses...where are the Ray Bans?

Here is the link to watch the video with the comments: www.youtube.com...

Yeah.. but that's youtube. Not really known to contain the most intelligent or observant of people.

Every parody of that scene has people wearing sunnies, mostly I think because he wore them almost the entire movie. Just not that scene. And remember, we don't recall events. We recall memories of events only.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
I'm just fascinated by how many people in the comments section of any YouTube vid about this scene remember TC wearing sunglasses.

Here is a YT vid from Australia, I think, and as you scroll down and read the comments, so many people comment about the sunglasses missing!

www.youtube.com...

Intriguing.

Here's the rub... So many people on youtube are saying where are the sunglasses...

yet so many people here are saying Nope..

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Yes he did, but I only saw the movie once a long time ago...

I'll go back and read the responses now...lol

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I don't believe in the Mandela Effect.

I think what is happening is that our brains want to remember something a certain way. We have an ability to insert objects into our memories even if they weren't originally there. Cruise was often seen wearing the sunglasses in other parts of the movie, so we assume he had them on in the dance scenes when in fact he didn't.

Truthfully, I never watched the movie all that closely, but I also assumed he had the shades on that iconic scene.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I don't remember him wearing glasses in that scene.

On another note, he is classic in Tropic Thunder..freakin cracks me up every time I watch it.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

just watched it no

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: WalterTilley

On another note, he is classic in Tropic Thunder..freakin cracks me up every time I watch it.

Less Grossman is the greatest superhero around

lets just take a look at his wise words and exceptional dance moves.

Chances are there may be some foul language so heads up to those that may get offended

In my life I would have never pictured Tom Cruise playing that role.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Those dance moves kill me every time man

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
No such thing as the Mandela Effect. It's just the result of a human memory system prone to faults. People have memory failures, memory inconsistencies, selective memories, added details due to psychosis or imagination, subtracted memories due to stress or ptsd, and on, and on, and on. Human memory SUCKS. Half the memories everyone has from childhood are not exact and didn't happen quite the way you think they did. It's so easy to discount the Mandela Effect and so difficult to make a case for it. I wish everyone would just leave it alone but alas, people will never get tired of telling ghost stories either.

Oh, and TC movies are awesome!

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

No, he did not wear sunglasses in that scene

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
No sunglasses in that scene. I remember sunglasses in the promo shots?

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Not in the dance scene, but he did throughout other parts of the film and on the movie poster and VHS cassette box. This poster and VHS video are what is likely leading to the confusion:

edit on 17/10/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People
Not in the dance scene, but he did throughout other parts of the film and on the movie poster and VHS cassette box. This poster and VHS video are what is likely leading to the confusion:

In addition to this

Yes , the VHS cover and poster is whats people are remembering that has been mixed with memory of the most popular scene of the movie.

One thing that could be an answer as to how ones memory mixes the 2 is TV shows like we have here in Australia, maybe on the national geographic channel that are about the decades.

The 1 or 2 hour shows are about the 80s, 90s 00s and so on and before.

I am pretty sure that the show about the 80s had a segment about famous movies of the decade and famous stars that exploded onto the scene.

Its commentary starts talking about the movie and star and show the poster and that famous scene.

The mind can make the connection there and have a memory of the scene and the poster but think that Tom is wearing glasses in that famous scene.

All it takes is one to make that suggestion to another and their mind can make the same incorrect conclusion because its been lead to.

and this can snow ball like it does with the availability of the internet even though we can use the internet to find the reality of the situation/song lyrics/movie scene etc.

It just shows how the Mandela effect is all in ones mind and because of its growth in alternative topics I am staring to think that it could have been created by psych students or if one must really be on the paranoid side of things a Government agencies that has a lot of interest in influencing thoughts and memories and let loose online because its just way too unethical to do with any backing from institutions such as universities or open government sources.

What it is was just the use of already existing concepts that were just renamed and mixed together to test the waters on human memory and how easy it is to manipulate with the technology we have today, no need for real mind control when ones memories can be influenced to think something happened when it never really did or vice versa.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I don't know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join