It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should American Employees Speak English?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchandwait410

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: watchandwait410
a reply to: StallionDuck

I can't wait to get one of those bugs from Hitchhiker guide to the galaxy in my ear that translates any language into the language you speak..... Or the technological equivalate.

I think they have something similar on phones now and little devices. I 'think' I've seen them on amazon even, or somewhere. I can't quite remember.

Yea but with todays tech you have to speak into the device. I want something that translates everything around me with such perfect flow that it would blow my mind.

I would love something like this.

Universal translator from Star Trek.

We wouldn't need to have these discussions at all.
edit on 15 9 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

It will be along shortly, just need to insert this harmless microchip.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLead

Sorry, I'm not a technophobe.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

That could just be your experience, might be just the Mexicans you meet?

I often game with a Mexican American, heard him speak Spanish 3-4 times in all the years I've knew him.

I guess he's well assimilated, seems his family is too. Whether they are exceptions though I do not know.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
I was told to leave a Chinese restaurant once because I wasn't Chinese. Their menu had no English on it.

You should have went back with a person who spoke Chinese. Ordered lots of stuff. Then paid with Chinese currency.

I bet they want US dollars.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I am, techno is garbage. If you meant techophobe that's hilarious, **non sensory robot hugs**
edit on 9/15/2018 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I grew up in East LA and in North Las Vegas when I came to the US.

I grew up in majority Mexican immigrant neighborhoods.

It's a regular occurrence.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

That could just be your experience, might be just the Mexicans you meet?

I often game with a Mexican American, heard him speak Spanish 3-4 times in all the years I've knew him.

I guess he's well assimilated, seems his family is too. Whether they are exceptions though I do not know.

If he says he is mexican american then he has not assimilated.

If he is legal citizen then he is american.

Kinda like blacks that identify as african american. If they are citizens then they are americans.

Now if someone is not legal citizen and hold a green card and they are from mexico then they would be mexican american.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: howtonhawky

I thought speaking american was part of the naturalization process.

American is a language now?
When did that happen?

When they dropped the "u's". No sense of humour.

Yeah... That's just bastardized English

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Well there is no federal official language. Texas looked at an official state language but the initiative never went anywhere. English speakers are predominant in Texas followed by Spanish. One would think if you are in business you would want as many customers as possible.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

We can have similar problem in the UK with communities of immigrants, I guess it depends on how they interact outside of the community and with others who don't share their first language.

I'm not blind to an unwillingness to assimilate or even using that unwillingness as a tool.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: RAY1990

I grew up in East LA...

CHEECH!!!

It does happen in areas that are mostly one language. It's about to keeping culture alive.

link   

The word techno refers to something people refer to as music, the word phobe refers to a person with an irrational fear of something. Tech is a word people use when referring to the technological industry or products. ITS CALLED A PLAY ON WORDS

link   
I would have called the police and demand and arrest for hate crimes and to levy charges for violation of my civil rights. She should have gotten down from the car, entered the store and called the non-emergency police line. I woulda have done it for nothing more than to escalate the drama and really make the Bell feel the heat.

My parents raised me on English, which they pretty much adopted once they mvoed here in the 70's . I remember getting something like that at a 7-11 when trying to buy a phone card. The lady tried to say this is West Tampa, and then I told her what #ing country is West Tampa in?? Then I made a mess throwing half the stuff on their counters to the floor and cussed them out and left to another 7-11 to get my phone card.

They want to play ignant, I can get ignant.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

The word techno refers to something people refer to as music, the word phobe refers to a person with an irrational fear of something. Tech is a word people use when referring to the technological industry or products. ITS CALLED A PLAY ON WORDS

It's called proper English use.

You can't just make stuff up because it sounds better to you. Feel free to argue with the dictionary though.
edit on 15 9 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

He identifies as American, has an American job with an American union, has an American wife and kids. I mentioned Mexican American but by all accounts other than skin colour he's clearly an American.

I agree with you though, I could've been clearer. Seemed easier to word it as I did.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Over the ass-blaster known as Taco Bell?

Not worth the effort.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLead
your both wrong. You guys just to hitch a ride through the galaxy and insert one of these into your ear.

Taco Bell is my number one comfort food. I have already made quite the scene followed by a boycott at the one up from my house after multiple jokes from their staff to put no lettuce when I order and pay for extra lettuce. After a one year boycott, I never had any more problems at that location again so far, and its been three years.

A business is a business. If they cannot deliver, I am going to be very vocal and colorful in public. Hopefully people will record the next time I go ape # at a gas station or fast food joint. I do at least 3 times a year.
edit on 9-15-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Hey I cant help it that the person who established the technical term was inept, it's the logical progression. Techno was a side industry of using technology for music, naming something specific. Its should simply be techphobe does that not convey the message better?

I also cannot help the fact you are incapable of taking/understanding a joke. Apologies for me not recognizing this sooner.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join