It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now eye contact may be considered discrimination or racism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
www.nbc-2.com...

"Can eye contact or weird looks count as discrimination?
Loaded looks. Repeated glances. Too much eye contact, or not enough."

They are turning us more into robots everyday

Ok, first off, I am a minority woman. I've experienced my share of true racism and discrimination and sexual harassment, but this is just getting crazy now. If you give someone too much eye, or even not enough that could be discrimination? What? No wonder we are falling behind in the world, we are getting so caught up in feelings that nobody is actually doing any work. Don't get me wrong, I think there is true discrimination that happens and everyone looks the other way, but now we are just making up silly stuff.

edit on Wed Sep 5 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: ex tags added IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Racism exists, but identity politics is not the solution.

PC culture where everyone is too scared to do anything is not the answer.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Avert your racist gaze peasant!

"You're able to recover from overt discrimination because you can categorize it and move on, and at least you know what happened,"

At what point is it paranoia and not systemic racism lol

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

What if you have a condition that gives you twitches in your eye and someone mistakes that for discrimination?

Who gets sued then?

Would that be discrimination against the disabled?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Does this include covert glances at butts as they walk by? I just want to be clear, this is for research purposes, for a friend, only.

I have seen some White People do the Scope out the Black man in public and things similar to that. I'm sure it occurs to an extent, but now we can't look at people directly?

If I look blankly and stupidly at someone, what does that indicate?
edit on 5-9-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

The first thing I thought of when I read the article is what about cultural eye contact differences.
Some cultures stare you down and others turn their glance away as a form of courtesy. Now that can be seen as
discrimination?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Eye contact...?

my gaze usually ventures further south.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I was raised to make eye contact with anyone I come close to, whether in passing or someone I'm speaking to. It is a sign of respect: you are saying "I acknowledge your presence in the space we are sharing." It is neither racist nor disrespectful!

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: grey580

The first thing I thought of when I read the article is what about cultural eye contact differences.
Some cultures stare you down and others turn their glance away as a form of courtesy. Now that can be seen as
discrimination?

True, most Muslim Women I see at the grocery store will never look at you, always staring down or away. It's always an awkward interaction trying to even attempt the "excuse me" or "Bless You" if they sneeze as you pass by them.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Eye contact...?

my gaze usually ventures further south.

You are doing it right.

Women don't want you to look them in the eye, they prefer you averting your gaze from their head and staring at the bottom of their neck as a way of showing you aren't threatening to them. You should continue to do that till they give you permission to look them in the eye.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Just curious, how do women give you the Ok to look them in the eye.

I just found that funny, because I for one prefer guys talk to my eyes and not any of my southern regions.
Of course that is just preference and not something I would go to HR about.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
So can me and olaru still look at her boobs?

I dont care if I offend anyone but I would like to know when I do so I can chuckle about it later.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
May I speak for Marty Feldman, Sandy Duncan & Sammy Davis Jr...….It's about damn time!! Donna Mills as well.
edit on 5-9-2018 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: pavil

Just curious, how do women give you the Ok to look them in the eye.

I just found that funny, because I for one prefer guys talk to my eyes and not any of my southern regions.
Of course that is just preference and not something I would go to HR about.

It's a little humor. They say something like "My eyes are up here". Then I give them one of those Jim looks into the camera on The Office.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

"In the workplace space, there aren't as clear pathways for reporting," Jones says. "How do you report 'He looked at me funny?'"

I look at people funny every day.

Maybe we should all be required to wear blinders or sunglasses.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Ok, from now on the sunglasses are never coming off.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

From reading the article you presented the issue here is not race or sex or whatever we might see it as in the general public. The context here is the work place. What is the best balance for Human Resources to set to insure the well functioning business . How do they set parameters for employee behavior that is best suited for the company profit.

If the more sensitive person is also the more valuable to that profit line, we can bet that the issue will resolve in that persons direction. If the value to the company profit is the person with the rolling eyes or the smirk or the lingering gaze, the complainee will be told to toughen up or hit the road.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Here in the big ghetto, it’s called a stare down..it can get you violently attacked. Interesting to note, in the wild many animals attack when stared at. Maybe the human race isn’t so evolved after all!

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
University of Memphis

It's more insane University mouth boogie. meaningless

And on another note... how many University doctorates are virtually worthless ? Millions at least.
edit on 5-9-2018 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Maybe that is why aliens have sunglassed over eyes, so nobody can see their stare down, or eyes rolling.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join