It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Because "It's the law!"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy
The minute the above statement ceases to be true is when we should be concerned about excessive laws or criminalization of trivial misconduct/conduct

Mid/late 1930's Germany?
That was a horrible example of people following the law.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: TinySickTears
Lol, we share similar sentiments.
Funny how no "It's the law!" people have chimed in yet, maybe time zones and they are still in bed?

For sure.
I live by my own moral compass.

Some laws I don't break cause I feel it's wrong.
Some I don't break cause I cant afford to be in jail.

That's how everyone is.

Nobody is squeaky clean.

edit on 28-8-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I'm the same.
Laws are advice at best to me.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime

I hate those "ignorance of the law is no excuse" comments.

Those comments are usually rooted in past statements from the justice system, itself. The courts long ago realized that ignorance of the law cannot be used as a general defense because, if it was, virtually everyone could use the excuse to get a free pass... at least the first time they broke most laws. Allowing ignorance to be a defense would not lead to any sort of reasonable adherence to the laws.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I say this a lot but in different ways and I guess I am going to say it again with bells and lights on.

IF THE LAW SAID TO STICK A TUBE OF TOOTPASTE UP YOUR ASS,HOOT LIKE AN OWL AND JUMP OUT OF YOUR WINDOW........WOULD YOU??

I will NEVER look to my government for moral or ethical guidelines.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6
Curious factoid but I support ignorance of the law rules as they stand.
If you break the basic rules of society then you must be a prick.
Pricks get beaten up in my community and I'm happy with it.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

How about common sense guidelines ? .. such as driving safe speeds , or not being allowed to murder someone because they tilted your moral compass ?

We all have moral and ethical guidelines, and some differ quite drastically. Who gets to decide which moral and ethical values trumps others ?

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: burdman30ott6
Curious factoid but I support ignorance of the law rules as they stand.
If you break the basic rules of society then you must be a prick.
Pricks get beaten up in my community and I'm happy with it.

I live in the USA, pricks get defended while the good, hard working and law abiding get victimized... either by the pricks or, if the good people defend themselves, by the system. This is a nation with an infestation of self entitled vermin.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye
Brillliant response,totally agree, it's all a moral judgement, every time.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

IMO, most people recognize the value of laws and the need to have some formal established protections from criminal activity. Problem is that not all laws target criminal activity, which I think goes back to the bigger issue of excessive legislation/big government/etc

If you're talking about ignoring Nazi Germany-era laws (and similar) then by all means, I agree ignoring them would be the right thing to do. Much as the actual Resistance (WW2 occupied territories) were considered terrorists/murders by the Nazis, we regard them as patriots and allies. I'm unsure if that is what you are getting at, but if you are looking for an opinion on ignoring laws that command genocide, oppression, mass murder and other atrocities such as those seen with Hitler's Germany then I don't expect you'll find much opposition

edit on 8/28/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Agreed, a good example would be a repeal of the second amendment followed by a law banning firearms possession. I like to think I'm not the only American who would outright refuse to obey this law (for a multitude of reasons)

Same goes for a hypothetical ban on free speech, or an attempt by the government to unlawfully & arbitrarily round up parts of our population, or an attempt to suspend the Constitution, or any number of other hypothetical scenarios that could (through various degrees of subterfuge and interpretation) be technically legal but still objectively and clearly wrong

edit on 8/28/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
i think i like laws.natural laws or others. they look very nice.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
what i dont like is stupid boyfriends.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
I say this a lot but in different ways and I guess I am going to say it again with bells and lights on.

IF THE LAW SAID TO STICK A TUBE OF TOOTPASTE UP YOUR ASS,HOOT LIKE AN OWL AND JUMP OUT OF YOUR WINDOW........WOULD YOU??

"Tootpaste"

How fitting!

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   

I'm sure its different in the states but I feel the sameway toward my government. Lmao I even use the we had to break the law going against the crown to become a country.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

I agree with you. I’ve been criminalized almost my whole life for having a plant in my pocket.

Been locked up around 7 times, thousands upon thousands spent on court fees, robbed, shot at, you name it. All over a plant.

BECAUSE ITS THE LAW!!!

Idiocy at its finest. I take pride in being called a criminal when it’s the real criminals calling me that.

Regards

I know, right? Thankfully that plant has never landed me in any bother, legally or otherwise.

*touches wood*

Then there's the laws that are ignored in the locating, extracting, processing and trading of the liquidised remains of dinosaurs and other past life (probably our own ancestors)
edit on 29/8/18 by djz3ro because: Superstition. Innit?

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I think there is no unbreakable law. but i wouldnt break them with you.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Damla

I watched your video but I don't see the relevance to the OP?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join