It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California lawmakers pass bill to erase old pot convictions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Hey something very good out of California. They have passed a bill to retroactively expunge pot convictions. Misdemeanors can be completely expunged and felonies knocked down to misdemeanors .

Over 220,000 citizens are eligible for erasure or reduction, and now just awaits the governor to sign it .

Im not sure what happens to the people still doing time for pot but im guessing they will be released.

And now alot of them will get their gun rights back as well.

I hope this catches on all over the country .

The drug war is a farce and locking people up for weed is criminal IMO.

It is only a crime because its illegal..

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A bill requiring California prosecutors to erase or reduce tens of thousands of marijuana criminal convictions was approved by the state Legislature on Wednesday and now awaits Gov. Jerry Brown's signature. When voters passed Proposition 64 in 2016 to allow adult use of marijuana, they also eliminated several pot-related crimes. The proposition also applied retroactively to pot convictions, but provided no mechanism or guidance on how those eligible could erase their convictions or have felonies reduced to misdemeanors.

bakersfieldnow.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Possibly the only thing they can get right. 2nd.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Misdemeanors drop off after a time,anyway
Felony possession cannot be erased.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Tundra

Read the title too fast, thought it said pedo for a second.

I guess that's still a few cars back on the crazy train that is California. So that one will hit the station at some point I'm sure.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

But it can be reduced to a misdemeanor.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
good on California for this one. the war on drugs must end.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

That is long over due, and quite honestly admirable. This is going to help a ton of families find work, relieve over crowded prisons...the list is long. I dont often, nay perhaps Ive never said good on California...but mark you calanders, ol Blue says: "good on ya Cali, well done!"
edit on 23-8-2018 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

This bill sponsored by Monsanto.

I want to see this as a good thing but my Spidey senses are tingling.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
This makes sense

Pot is legal in California

So get rid of the old pot convictions.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
This is excellent news. Now for the rest of the country to get their snip together and follow suit!

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: Gothmog

But it can be reduced to a misdemeanor.

Only by the court system at the time .

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

This is all well and good.. But the US as a whole, is still falling short of ending the 'war on cannabis'.

It was the US federal government who were the ones that originally strong armed the rest of the world into this ridiculous war against a plant, in the first place... So its now their responsibility to call it off.

Obviously, Trump doesn't have the balls to end this stupid "war"... But hopefully whoever comes after him does.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone

I worked as a cop in a med.-large Ca. multi-ethnic, multi-cultural city as a cop for 13 years and worked Patrol, then Street Crimes, Narcotics, Traffic and then Patrol again and I am happy to type: My name, badge number won't show up on nary 1 single arrest for Cannabis. (but then again the ZigZag Man has a tattoo of Me....)

I would add, when Bayer™ nee: Monsanto™ gets in the Cannabis game is when I get out.. The Glyphosate™ is floating even in the "certified organic" wines so anything that is 'fun' is poisoned???

Proud Member of LEAP • Law Enforcement Action Partnership

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

LOL Trump... Obama had 8 years and didnt end it was that bush's fault?

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   

They are trying to give back voting rights to as many people as possible. They should never have been taken away in the first place.

This should never have needed this kind of back tracking.
edit on 23-8-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

LOL Trump... Obama had 8 years and didnt end it was that bush's fault?

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed by what Obama managed to achieve... But he did call off those DEA dogs, by publicly declaring they should respect states rights, when it comes to cannabis Legalization.

Which is a hell of a lot more than Trump has the balls to do.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Its kind of silly to punish people for having pot when its legal to grow and possess here now. People on my street habe pot plants in their yards as big as apple trees

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Many of the people who got convicted of pot usage actually did a much more serious crime which resulted in a plea bargain of pleading guilty to using pot.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Well think about it, they have to don't they?

they are getting the public ready to legalise it.

An integral part of that is what they are doing now which is suddenly discovering all these health benefits of the stuff.

They have to come with some justification to legalising it and they strategy they have settled on is to suddenly discover it wasn't such a bad drug after all, in fact it was quite a good drug.

The reason they have to lleablise all street drugs is because when we go cashless, it would then be technically speaking, extremely easy and simple, for law enforcement to trace drug dealing back up the chain from the street dealer to very biggies at the very top just by tracing electronic transaction data.

Now they cant have that can they?

This is why they are preparing the way now and erasing all cold cases is simply part it. There will be things they will do to.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

People on my street habe pot plants in their yards as big as apple trees
That's not a very big yard.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join