It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80-year-old medical marijuana patient with expired card jailed for less than an eighth of weed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Just wow, An 80 year old grandmother with a medical marijuana card she had let expire was jailed for smoking weed in her own home to help her with her arthritis.

A deputy went to her house looking for her great granddaughter to return a stolen phone and ID, smelled weed and asked the 80 YEAR OLD woman about it.

Great grandma said it was hers and told her she had a card it was just expired . So the deputy cuffed her and took her to jail for the night.

I mean what in the actual ####.

Why would anyone care about an 80 year old woman smoking weed in her house ???

Sometimes cops are just such ass holes..

Whats funny is if you talk to a cop almost all of them say they dont care about weed and dont arrest people for it.

But yet people keep ending up in jail..

CLARE COUNTY, Mich. -- An 80-year-old grandmother in Clare County was jailed for the first time in her life, because she had a small amount of cannabis at home but her Michigan medical marijuana card expired.

Delores Saltzman and her son Mark tell FOX 17 cannabis saved her life: it worked up her appetite when she was sick; helped her heal after surgeries; and eases her pain from ongoing health conditions. They are disturbed a deputy jailed her overnight for using her medicine.

"After I smoke I go down to a one, pain-wise," said Delores Saltzman, 80. "Before I smoke, I would say I’m an 8 right now."

fox17online.com...

edit on 5-8-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-8-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Well to be honest she should have renewed her card. That one is on her. I’m sure he was unhappy doing so but a job is a job.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:05 AM
link   
That’s wrong on so many levels!! I don’t even smoke pot and I think it should be legal. I’ve seen the worst an addiction to pot can do (yes there IS such a thing and it’s irritating AF), and it’s not as socially damaging as alcoholism or as physically damaging as nicotine addiction. Why are we wasting so much time, money, and jail space on this?

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Well to be honest she should have renewed her card. That one is on her. I’m sure he was unhappy doing so but a job is a job.

You don't think the cop could have used a little discretion and let that pass?

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: anotheramethyst

To answer your question in one simple symbol... $

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Thats not the job..

We dont need police throwing 80 year old grandmas in jail for trying to be pain free..

Expired card or not.. Jut say ty mam have a nice day and I hope you are not too uncomfortable..

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Public enemy #1. Let's put this SOB in jail at something like 40k/year on the taxpayers backs instead is putting that 40k towards nursing homes and better health services for senior citizens. Great plan, guys.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   

80-year-old medical marijuana patient with expired card jailed for less than an eighth of weed

^^^That is the real crime. And not just her, against all humanity.

Our bodies require cannabinoids. Our immune systems require cannabinoids. We are literally criminalized and persecuted for using a completely non-lethal natural substance to nurture and nurse our bodies.

It's cruel, sadistic and borderline psychotic.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Part of an officer's job is discretion (the freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation). The officer has the freedom not to charge people with an offense; however, the officer must provide reasonable cause for not pursuing an offense. In this instance, it could be consider a waste of tax-payer funds.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

They did...eventually...use discretion.

She renewed her card and charges were dismissed.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Good I'm happy to hear that, cheers for looking further into it...

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

But she spent the night in jail ... the cop didnt use discretion at all.. The cop is a jackass..

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   

No I don't think so. She should have been up to date. He did his job as I would expect him to. She will get a slap on the wrist and a lesson was learned. Good on him I say.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Get real

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   

The cop's job is to enforce the law, not pick which ones to enforce based on discretion.

What needs to change is the law.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

But she spent the night in jail ... the cop didnt use discretion at all.. The cop is a jackass..

He is not a jack hole, he did his job. What is wrong with that?

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

He is not a jack hole, he did his job. What is wrong with that?
naw....he overstepped legally....unless he informed her of her Miranda rights before asking what's the smell.....civil suit...I file those at Fifty K and up
edit on 6-8-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Get real

Get real??? I am real bro. She was breaking the law. He had every right and a duty to uphold it. Which he did. That oath is not taken lightly.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I watched an episode of Cops the other week and they do the Cop driving talking about why he joined and what he hopes to achieve. Paraphrasing he said

"all my family are cops, my dad and grandfather were too, I want to make Vice detective, I like getting criminals and drugs off the streets, meth, heroin, Crack, Marijuana You have it? you go to jail when you see me"

A big jacked up 22yr old looking guy with little life experience, only dealing with the public where there's problems joking about putting weed smokers in jail. He couldn't have looked like a bigger asshole if he tried.

He had that dead behind the eyes quality.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

You don't have to give those rights under probable cause during a search. Only after.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join