It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raytheon Awarded Contract by US Army for Truck Mounted 100 kw Laser

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Everything comes back to a completely lack of accountability.
That and I think we are trying to stay on the cutting edge of tech and while the tech is developed into something useful the original project suffers.

It reminds me of nasa spending loads of money to develop a pen that would write in zero gravity.
The Russians just sent up a pencil.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: anzha

Everything comes back to a completely lack of accountability.
That and I think we are trying to stay on the cutting edge of tech and while the tech is developed into something useful the original project suffers.

It reminds me of nasa spending loads of money to develop a pen that would write in zero gravity.
The Russians just sent up a pencil.

This is actually a myth the did use pencils early the pro line is graphite floating around in zero G in an aircraft with oxygen rich air and electrical do-dads is not advisable. They ended up using the same pen as us and fisher developed the pen on their own dime.

www.scientificamerican.com...

edit on 7/2/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

An old myth proven false,,,
Who da thunk it...

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

An old myth proven false,,,
Who da thunk it...

Glad to catch ya up.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR
Correct me if I’m wrong but the output of 10kw does not mean that’s all the electrical power it needs, seems there would be loses and inEfficiency in converting the vehicles 24(or 48) volt DC vehicle powe to whatever the emitter requires?

The vehicle wouldn't need changes because the LASER system itself has what is needed. I have built a few lab lasers that take input voltage and the power supply for the LASER converts it to the LASER's operating required current and voltage, similar to your desktop computer. It takes 110-120 VAC alternating current and the power supply uses that to supply the motors with DC 12V, and the main board with 3.3V DC etc.

My last LASER I built took an input voltage of 110AC and converted it to 5000VDC at 100 milliamps to run the LASER. It's all in the LASER's power supply and integrated electronics.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

Correct me if I’m wrong but the output of 10kw does not mean that’s all the electrical power it needs, seems there would be loses and inEfficiency in converting the vehicles 24(or 48) volt DC vehicle powe to whatever the emitter requires?

The vehicle wouldn't need changes because the LASER system itself has what is needed. I have built a few lab lasers that take input voltage and the power supply for the LASER converts it to the LASER's operating required current and voltage, similar to your desktop computer. It takes 110-120 VAC alternating current and the power supply uses that to supply the motors with DC 12V, and the main board with 3.3V DC etc.

My last LASER I built took an input voltage of 110AC and converted it to 5000VDC at 100 milliamps to run the LASER. It's all in the LASER's power supply and integrated electronics.

Look at my other posts I disprove that’s it’s possible for an M1 to produce 100kw of electrical energy. Even the best power supplies top out at 95% or under in optimal use.

And you forgot the 5v rail...

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Look at my other posts I disprove that’s it’s possible for an M1 to produce 100kw of electrical energy. Even the best power supplies top out at 95% or under in optimal use.

The 5V rail was extraneous. I knew you would get it without a full schematic

Also, since LASER systems don't draw huge amperage it doesn't require what you are thinking in terms of 100kW. That is the LASER's max output.
The LASER system can be built easily to run off of a tank
edit on 2-7-2018 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

The 5V rail was extraneous. I knew you would get it without a full schematic

Also, since LASER systems don't draw huge amperage it doesn't require what you are thinking in terms of 100kW. That is the LASER's max output.
The LASER system can be built easily to run off of a tank

I’m glad you have such faith in me. You’re missing the point the vehicle can only provide 650amps@28vDC making the max available power 18.2kw. Even if you didn’t have to do any stepping up of the voltage and could throw the full 18.2kw at the laser how is it going to make up for a power level that is 5 times to low even assuming 100% efficiency from everything. Can’t happen won’t happen with 18.2kw of input power...

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Well Raytheon did just get this contract, so if they can't do it they shouldn't have been able to nail this down.

Also, from what I am reading if I understood it right is this LASER they are speaking of isn't going to be a full on continuous duty beam but will be fired in shots, so it isn't going to need continuous full draw of available amps from the input power source.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
They can do it, like in the second article where you have a HEMTT type vehicle with a large box on the back to house the genset, electronics and targeting. They just have to have a genset that puts out 125+kw. The OP was the one saying that the M1 could power it and that’s what I had the problem with. I can guarantee you it will need more than 20kw period unless they’ve come up with some “over unity” type malarkey.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I was stating the M-1's turbine could power it, assuming it was NOT being used for moving an M-1, but not the M-1 itself.

Anyways:

www.military.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

I was stating the M-1's turbine could power it, assuming it was NOT being used for moving an M-1, but not the M-1 itself.

Anyways:

www.military.com...

They could power it with a humvee engine hooked to a genny what’s your point?

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

We're talking past each other. I'm going to back off because I like you and would rather not screw future discussions.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

We're talking past each other. I'm going to back off because I like you and would rather not screw future discussions.

Someone likes me?!? Unheard of!
Anyway yes we’ll agree it’s a move in the right direction and energy weapons are going to be a big part of future warfare.

We’ll call it a draw, even if I did “win”.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I believe this is alien technology.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
www.defensenews.com... s-army/

They're putting it on a FMTV truck. That's 9 tons or less. Definitely progress.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I know literally nothing of this project, but from an electrical supply perspective, I highly doubt it is a continuous duty laser. I could be wrong though as I don't know the requirements.

Never mind. NoCorruption beat me to it. Didn't see that.
edit on 10-8-2018 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join