It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Expert: America’s Poor Becoming More Destitute Under Trump

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
LINK

Happy times are here again for the rich under Trump. But for the poor the same old sad story. And in-fact things are getting worse

The United States has the highest youth poverty rate among industrialized countries,

GENEVA (Reuters) - Poverty in the United States is extensive and deepening under the Trump administration whose policies seem aimed at removing the safety net from millions of poor people, while rewarding the rich, a U.N. human rights investigator has found.
Philip Alston, U.N. special rapporteur on extreme poverty, called on U.S. authorities to provide solid social protection and address underlying problems, rather than “punishing and imprisoning the poor”.
While welfare benefits and access to health insurance are being slashed, President Donald Trump’s tax reform has awarded “financial windfalls” to the mega-rich and large companies, further increasing inequality, he said in a report.
U.S. policies since President Lyndon Johnson’s war on poverty in the 1960s have been “neglectful at best,” he said.
“But the policies pursued over the past year seem deliberately designed to remove basic protections from the poorest, punish those who are not in employment and make even basic health care into a privilege to be earned rather than a right of citizenship,” Alston said.
Almost 41 million people or 12.7 percent live in poverty, 18.5 million in extreme poverty, and children account for one in three poor, he said. The United States has the highest youth poverty rate among industrialized countries, he added.
“Its citizens live shorter and sicker lives compared to those living in all other rich democracies, eradicable tropical diseases are increasingly prevalent and it has the world’s highest incarceration rate ... and the highest obesity levels in the developed world,” Alston said.

This is a sad story. The greatest country supposedly ever and the richest won’t take care of their poor.

And according to this UN expert under Trump, the trend is worsening.

+37 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
And how are you helping the poor? Are you giving them your money?

America isn't some place where you can just raise your hand and be taken care of at the expense of government.

Although there are a lot of current programs helping the homeless and other charitable things. It is NOT Trump's fault that there are poor people.

This guy saying it is worsening under Trump is so full of sh/t it's coming out of his mouth.
edit on 3-6-2018 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

This is a sad story. The greatest country supposedly ever and the richest won’t take care of their poor.

They need to learn to take responsibility for themselves. No one owes you anything in this life.

Also, “U.N. Expert” is an oxymoron.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

You can't just give poor people money and food, you need to give them an opportunity or a chance to get out of a rut.
I bet a super high percentage of people who live in poverty are there because of circumstances in their life lead them that way.

It's the polar opposite of rich people, people born into wealth have the opportunity to thrive and become successful, it's handed to them on a silver platter. Those who are born into poverty have it slopped into their lap and are expected to fight their way to the top.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

That was quite sad to read.
The most powerful nation in the world and millions of kids in poverty.
It baffles me.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I do not see much change at all around here with the poor. I don't know what kind of nut this guy is who is saying that. He is probably rich and disconnected with the lower class. There was some drop in food benefits, but most people are still doing about the same. That is here, from people I know. I am sure there are some people negatively effected even here, but not really that bad. The use of food pantries made up for the loss in food stamps. That is a good program, I do not know why they got rid of those for years, it brings people together. You just need to need food to qualify for them, many people are so strapped with debt they are poor even though they are not poor. Those food pantries help those who would not qualify for assistance when they need it.

+23 more 
link   
Don't believe everything you read. Listen for the spin, take bias into consideration, and look closely at the way a study was conducted. From that Huff article:

However, the data from the U.S. Census Bureau he cited covers only the period through 2016, and he gave no comparative figures on the extent of poverty before and after Trump came into office in January 2017.

+7 more 
link   

Since when is it the job of "the rich" to take care of "the poor"?

Do you regularly take "the poor" into your home and pay for them to live?

I've seen "poor". What we have here in the States isn't even close.

Quit blaming a president for everything. Congress and the courts have plenty to do with the economy sucking, as does the Federal Reserve, a non-governmental entity.

Quit playing "Rah-Rah Red Team", "Rah-Rah Blue Team" for a second, open your eyes, and see that you're all being played like fiddles.

+19 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
UN expert? Dude, you're so gullible, no wonder it's so easy to get one over you.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen

Since when is it the job of "the rich" to take care of "the poor"?

Do you regularly take "the poor" into your home and pay for them to live?

I've seen "poor". What we have here in the States isn't even close.

Quit blaming a president for everything. Congress and the courts have plenty to do with the economy sucking, as does the Federal Reserve, a non-governmental entity.

Quit playing "Rah-Rah Red Team", "Rah-Rah Blue Team" for a second, open your eyes, and see that you're all being played like fiddles.
It doesn't know, it just found an Anti-Trump article and posted it, adding its conflation of twisted information and the usual hub bub spin.

link   
a reply to: strongfp

You mean the world isn't fair?

Someone needs to write a law and make us all equal!

link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
They need to learn to take responsibility for themselves. No one owes you anything in this life.
Children as well yeah, get 'em in the workhouse cleaning under the machines, the lazy bastard poor kids...

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

You can't just give poor people money and food, you need to give them an opportunity or a chance to get out of a rut.
I bet a super high percentage of people who live in poverty are there because of circumstances in their life lead them that way.

It's the polar opposite of rich people, people born into wealth have the opportunity to thrive and become successful, it's handed to them on a silver platter. Those who are born into poverty have it slopped into their lap and are expected to fight their way to the top.

I have to fight my way just to survive and not be a burden to others, so I know what it is like. I had a time when I lived off of ketchup and mustard for 4 days, but I still didn't blame or fault the rich for driving by in their Mercedes Benz.

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
This story deserves the BS of the week award. If I’m wrong perhaps we can cut aid to other interests outside the US and use the money at home.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
From your link:

However, the data from the U.S. Census Bureau he cited covers only the period through 2016, and he gave no comparative figures on the extent of poverty before and after Trump came into office in January 2017.

So, do us all a favour and post the data that the 'expert' used to draw his conclusions, as right now it seems you just posted some butthurt crackpots views as he deals with his TDS issues.

link   
It’s amazing how well-fed people get so upset at objective reality

The fact that this richest country ever, so proudly touted by the proud, is the worst of the industrialized countries in taking care of their poor.

I guess the truth hurts

link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
a reply to: strongfp

You mean the world isn't fair?

Someone needs to write a law and make us all equal!

So you look down on certain people because of the circumstances that they grew up in?

Do you have any compassion for others?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
From the same article:

This there is no data for comparing how the poor are doing under Trump vs. previous administrations. Are the poor doing badly but a little better or are things getting worse? That is not analyzed in the article. Need more time for data on Trump's numbers before really informative opinions can be made. Trump has only been in office for less than 18 months. That is not enough time to see how policy will affect the poor.

link   

America isn't some place where you can just raise your hand and be taken care of at the expense of government.

I could have sworn the whole point of government is to in fact protect it's citizens, top to bottom.

This isn't an 'America' thing, it's a first world thing.

link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: Metallicus
Children as well yeah, get 'em in the workhouse cleaning under the machines, the lazy bastard poor kids...

What about the children? Typical.

I take good care of my daughter just like every parent is responsible for the well being of their kids. The problem is some parents are selfish and don’t do what is needed. It isn’t anyone’s responsibility to pay for your reproductive choices.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join