It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samantha Bee proves hypocrisy on firing people for offensive jokes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: Grambler

Try to imagine someone keeping their job after saying this about President Hillarys daughter and laughing......

GOP talk show host Rush Limbaugh is still working just fine... Pick your poison

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
My sources tell me that ABC fired the audience for not laughing enough at Samantha Bee's joke.

Developing. . . . .

Speaking of developing and fired.......

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

The difference is: one was vulgar, one was blatantly racist. Period.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Oh Miss Bee's job is safe.

She's ideologically protected.

+1 more 
posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

WOW - talk about being sensitive & splitting hairs, that's an incredible example of unmitigated bias.

Well done, no easy feat.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

So both are offensive, but some offenses are more special than others?

I think that's crap. If you call someone a name, whatever origin the insult has, then it's pretty obvious you intended to hurt them. That hurt does not get more hurtful because of the origin of your insult.

If I call Tommy a doody-head, it hurts his feelings. It doesn't somehow make it worse if I call him a purple doody-head. His feelings are still going to be hurt.

If I call Brian a doody-head, his feelings are also going to be hurt.

All you are doing by separating out purple doody-head from doody-head is making it seem worse to insult Tommy than it is to insult Brian, and that puts Tommy on pedestal -- makes him more special -- than Brian.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm sure if Samantha Bee called Ivanka a pussy rather than a # it would have been okay, because that's the phraseology that her dad, the President used for the female equivalent of "grab em by the balls" or "dick", whichever you prefer.

One way or the other, Ivanka Trump, who is a personal advisor to the President of the USA, who just announced a "no tolerance" policy that removes babies from their mothers at the border, tweeting a picture of her and her son was going to be seen as extremely "tone deaf" and back fire on her as a dickish move.

edit on 31-5-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Yeah we know that’s the standard

It’s ok to be offensive to someone if you don’t like their politics

Well so long as you are left wing

What utter bs

These double standards are absurd

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

I'm sure if Samantha Bee called Ivanka a pussy rather than a # it would have been okay, because that's the phraseology that her dad, the President used for the female equivalent of a "dick".

One way or the other, Ivanka Trump, who is a personal advisor to the President who just announced a "no tolerance" policy that removes babies from their mothers at the border, tweeting a picture of her and her son was going to be seen as extremely "tone deaf" and back fire on her as a dickish move.

So you approve of calling Tommy a doody-head?

Just so we're clear on this because it was pretty clear the other day that you in no way approved of Tommy calling Brian a doody-head.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

The double standard is ignoring the President of the United State's vulgar, racist and bigoted comments while whining about the left whining about some right wing pundit sit-com star who got the boot from ABC for inappropriate comments. Last time I checked Samantha Bee doesn't work for ABC.

When you hold comedians to higher standard than the President of the United States, it's obviously hypocritical and rhetorically sad.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

WTH? Who are Tommy and Brian?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

The double standard is ignoring the President of the United State's vulgar, racist and bigoted comments while whining about the left whining about some right wing pundit sit-com stars getting the boot from ABC for inappropriate comments. Last time I checked Samantha Bee doesn't work for ABC.

When you hold comedians to higher standard than the President of the United States, it's obviously hypocritical and rhetorically sad.

I am not holding comedians to a higher standard

I want none of them to lose their job

But when the people that run the tv business insist that one offensive comment is reason to fire in person, they should apply that standard universally

The fact that it is acceptable if your politics are right is absurd, and shows all of the pear clutching about Roseanne was all for show

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Had a man said it about a woman, we'd be hearing screeches over misogyny. Let's try being honest for a change... modern society proved that it is impossible for diverse grouping of humans to actually get along holistically and naturally. In absence of artificial restrictions, unnatural consequences laid at "violaters'" feet, and special legal and societal defense of protected classes and discrete considerations of some, the great melting pot experiment has been an abject failure. Mankind's natural state is one of tribalism, classism, and eternal struggle with rivals. Always has been, always will be. We can keep kicking the can down the road with inane "equality" edicts and laws which are absolutely the opposite of equality (you can't grant special protections and excuses to some while denying it to others and call it "equality," that's just doublespeak BS, frankly) and keep chasing the pipe dreams of Sci-Fi authors that got people to buy books and watch TV shows depicting impossible Eutopian futures where mankind had reached this "enlightened" stage which has never, will never, and can't even exist outside of fiction writing... or we can acknowledge reality and accept the fact that life isn't fair and some folks are going to take it on the chin for reasons outside of their own control.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

But when the people that run the tv business insist that one offensive comment is reason to fire in person, they should apply that standard universally

# no! ABC is owned by Disney! They have a specific image. Samantha Bee works for TBS, owned by Turner Broadcasting Systems. Do you know who Ted Turner is?

That's like saying that the National Enquirer should be held to the same standards as Reuters. They have different audiences, different markets and different sponsors.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Thejoncrichton

Her skin is lighter than mine, and i’m irish.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Only 3 pages, and you didn't read the thread?

*tsk, tsk*

You don't like Tommy, and Brian is your friend.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

# no! ABC is owned by Disney! They have a specific image. Samantha Bee works for TBS, owned by Turner Broadcasting Systems. Do you know who Ted Turner is?

That's like saying that the National Enquirer should be held to the same standards are Reuters. They have different audiences, different markets and different sponsors.

I mean the people that have commented about how Roseanne should be fired

Like cnn, msnbc, and the litany if entertainment stars that call for or praised the firing of Roseanne

By being selective, they prove their outrage was all for show

Which is why none of us should be worried about offending a bunch of hypocrites

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Everyone was happy when CNN fired Kathy Griffin.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Everyone was happy when CNN fired Kathy Griffin.

That's because she was the walking, breathing definition of a word someone like Samantha Bee might use on TV...

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I'm a selective reader. I skim though BS.

You don't like Tommy, and Brian is your friend.

If Tommy and Brian are from this thread that you're accusing me of not reading, then why are you accusing me of supporting some Tommy and Brian argument a few days ago?

Again, WTH are Tommy and Brian?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join