It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child is killed during school walk out against gun violence

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

No school encourages rights though. Thats what im saying. The job of a school is to squash individuality, force compliance, etc

School policies tend to prove this out

In this case....the school didn't allow the event and referred to it as truancy. Which i agree with.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

No school encourages rights though. Thats what im saying. The job of a school is to squash individuality, force compliance, etc.

Wow, and you agree with this?

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

No school encourages rights though. Thats what im saying. The job of a school is to squash individuality, force compliance, etc

I completely disagree. That is not their job and I am a bit surprised to see you post that.

In this case....the school didn't allow the event and referred to it as truancy. Which i agree with.

So what is the problem? It seems you are contradicting yourself a bit.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

So their right to freedom of speech is only allowed after school hours?

How about they practice their free speech in school class, like every other day before? You can practice free speech regardless of your location.

It doesn't appear that the school or the teachers had anything to do with organizing this event.

It also doesn´t appear that they did anything to keep the children where they belong to. By letting them walk out, they neglected their overview.

It´s like you won´t blame a babysitter because she let the 6 year old do what he wanted. Don´t you see how crazy you sound?

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

How about they practice their free speech in school class, like every other day before? You can practice free speech regardless of your location.

Ok.

So what is the problem here?

In the previous post you said schools were not the place for protesting. Now they are?

You are contradicting yourself.

It also doesn´t appear that they did anything to keep the children where they belong to. By letting them walk out, they neglected their overview.

So you want the state to step in to suppress their right to freedom of speech and physically make them comply?

It´s like you won´t blame a babysitter because she let the 6 year old do what he wanted. Don´t you see how crazy you sound?

The babysitter is not a government entity. The babysitter...is not the state.
edit on 25-4-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

No its not their job. But its the reality of what happens.

I fought my local isd tooth and nail about them trying to crush that special spark my boys had.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

So it is a good thing when a school allows kids to exercise their constitutional right to peacefully assemble and speak their mind about not wanting gun violence in their school.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

No its not their job. But its the reality of what happens.

I fought my local isd tooth and nail about them trying to crush that special spark my boys had.

At this point I'm not sure if you are arguing about what happened in this case, or if you are arguing about a generalized viewpoint you hold that does not seem to apply here.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

So what is the problem here? In the previous post you said schools were not the place for protesting. Now they are? You are contradicting yourself.

I´m not contradicting myself. I said they practice free speech already, everyday. They can say what they want in the first place. Practicing free speech isn´t the same as protesting.

You can practice free speech without protesting. What is so hard to understand with that?

So you want the state to step in to suppress their right to freedom of speech and physically make them comply?

No. Stop being obtuse and formulating loaded questions to drag what I said out of proportion.

The babysitter is not a government entity. The babysitter...is not the state.

Ha, exactly because it´s the state and parents gave their kids into the care of STATE PAYED TEACHERS, they just let them walk out. It´s actually way worse in that sense.

But yeah, beliueve what you want to feed your own bias.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

PUT AN END to these rediculous parent pushed leftist and bizarre shows of fascisim. Edit to say I wonder how those parents feel having allowed and supported their child to do this?
edit on am430amWed, 25 Apr 2018 10:13:13 -0500 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

RIGHT FRICKING ON!

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

You can practice free speech without protesting. What is so hard to understand with that?

Sure. Who gets to dictate what form another person's free speech is manifested?

You?

The state?

No. Stop being obtuse and formulating loaded questions to drag what I said out of proportion.

By all means, clarify.

Ha, exactly because it´s the state and parents gave their kids into the care of STATE PAYED TEACHERS, they just let them walk out. It´s actually way worse in that sense.

You want the state to force children to do something? You want them to physically stop them?

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: antar
a reply to: Grambler

PUT AN END to these rediculous parent pushed leftist and bizarre shows of fascisim. Edit to say I wonder how those parents feel having allowed and supported their child to do this?

As a parent, would you have forbid your child from exercising their free speech?

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

You want the state to force children to do something? You want them to physically stop them?

The law want´s this, it´s called compulsory attendance. Get real.

You´re so up against anything governmental and afraid it impairs your ability to think clear. And that´s coming from someone that would be considered libertarian, if you need to stick me into a political group.

Think about that for a moment.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

The law want´s this, it´s called compulsory attendance. Get real.

The law does not state the government can stop someone from exercising their free speech. In fact, the law says otherwise.

You´re so up against anything governmental and afraid it impairs your ability to think clear. And that´s coming from someone that would be considered libertarian, if you need to stick me into a political group.

I think you are talking out of your ass.

I say it's not the governments place to force kids to do anything and you say it's because I'm afraid.

How does that make sense?

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

It´s pointless to discuss with you because you refuse to see the difference between free speech and protesting.

Every car is a vehicle. That does not mean every vehicle is a car.

Stay with me...

You can excercise free speech during a protest, but you´re not protesting everytime you are practicing free speech.

That you are unable to grasp this explains some other logic errors you constantly make. Then you try to iron them out by moving goalposts, using strawmans and overall being a deceiving and fact spinning respectless..person.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
And even if you are forced to go to school this does not impair your free speech.

You can complain and exercise your free speech all day long, consequences you will eventually be removed from class if you disrupt. Then you can complain at home or somewhere else. But no one will stop you from complaining or exercising your right to free speech, from the beginning.

Please do explain how this impairs free speech.
edit on 25-4-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

It is also our Constitutional right to peacefully assemble, which means protest.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Your rights are granted by the constitution and the laws are providing a framework that restrict those rights.

Since there is a a compulsory school attendance law until a certain age, those rights to peacefully assemble are restricted by that law.

This is the reality, not what you try to assemble and establish. If you´re a citizen of the USA you should be in shame that you don´t understand the basic principles your country is founded on.

At the same time you want to talk about politics but you don´t even know the basic things.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

The fact that students are allowed to leave school for a doctor's appointment or to leave early to prepare for a sports game tells me the "compulsory attendance" is selectively enforced. Its not an absolute.

You should be ashamed of how you are so quick to insult people who disagree with you.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

join